Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 3D driving mini game (just T1 code as no external files are required)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 13:16
Hi all,

I didn't think this was quite right for the showcase board so I've put this here.

This is a little 3D driving game I wrote yesterday and is my first proper AppGameKit program/game. It's a copy of one of my DBC/DBPro 20 line challenges so some of you may recognise it.

The object of the game is to drive your car through the city and hit all the waypoints in as fast a time as possible. You do not have to hit them in any particular order and the timer will start when you hit the first way point. There's no brake or reverse but who needs those anyway? Full instructions are at the top of the code.

This was written in Tier 1 V108 beta 18. It's pure code, no external files are required. Just copy and paste the code into the editor and run it.

I did try this out on my tablet but the virtual joystick and buttons came out rather large and the buttons overlapped. This may have something to do with the fact that I didn't set a virtual resolution. I don't have wifi at home so these things are a little bit of a chore to test out. Although the online APK builder works very well so I'm really pleased with that.

Hope you have fun.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 13:47
very cool! Thanks, it can be useful as a tutorial on 3D.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 13:49 Edited at: 8th Sep 2013 14:23
@29 games,
Nice game, thank you for sharing your code, used as a tutorial would be a great idea.
Also useful as a benchmarking App, I got the following results (at the centre of the maze).

PC (ASUS i5 Laptop) 60 fps
Galaxy S1 (Android 2.3.3) 32-33 fps
BlackBerry Playbook (V2.1.0.1526 Landscape) 30 fps
MID Tablet (Android 4.0.3) 43-48 fps
OUYA 16-20 fps

@Paul,
The OUYA performance was noticeably poorer, something to build on for the next release.

For the record, the lines I added to display the fps were.

I am also testing various resolution settings.

Edit: By reducing the average height of the buildings, I got the OUYA performance up to 30fps, the game responds much better.

BTW the OUYA pad is mapped..

Left Thumbstick - Left and Right
O = Forward
U = Reset Blocks
Y = Quit

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 14:38
If Ouya has so poor performances for a simple 3D game like that, I suspect that for more complex games with animated 3D models, more complex scenarios, terrains, shaders, physics, collision detection, the games would be completely unplayable.
Or is it an AppGameKit performance issue?
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 22:35 Edited at: 8th Sep 2013 22:39
Quote: "If Ouya has so poor performances for a simple 3D game like that, I suspect that for more complex games with animated 3D models, more complex scenarios, terrains, shaders, physics, collision detection, the games would be completely unplayable. Or is it an AppGameKit performance issue?"

It's a bit complicated: the OUYA has a resonably nice GPU (Nvidia Tegra 3) that uses a standard resolution of 1920x1080. It's fillrate is quite low, however, and because of that, 3D scenes and large transparent sprites have a lot of performance impact. I'm working on a game that runs at ~520 FPS on my aging desktop (Intel 920 Core i7 @ 2.6 + ATI 5870), at 60 FPS on my Android phone (HTC One S) and at ~31-17 on the OUYA. Turning shaders off will crank the latter up to ~51, but well... there's a lot of room for improvement

I think Tier 2 programmers can work around some of the kinks, but Tier 1 users are probably going to have a hard time until AppGameKit V2 comes out which will hopefully adress the issues. (I believe a 'render-to-image'-function is worked on, as well as an option to alter the size of the framebuffer).
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 00:48
Shoot me down - but given the appalling reviews of Ouya, is it worth bothering?

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 02:23
Nice thanks for sharing 29 games . Tried on my pc and my 7" asus tablet and my HTC one s phone all worked great.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 12:27 Edited at: 9th Sep 2013 12:30
@29 Games: I remember playing the DBP version of this - brings back memories of my DBP days. As soon as I saw your post this game sprang to mind. You always were an ace at the 20 line challenge. Sadly I haven't look at that board in ages. I might go for a trip down memory lane.

Edit - It's still on the first page of the 20 line challenge board! For anyone who's curious - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178125&b=11

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2013 09:54 Edited at: 10th Sep 2013 09:55
This is slightly offtopic (well...quite a lot actually, so mods: feel free to delete this post), but with regards to Jim's question: I do think the OUYA is a viable platform for game development. Despite it's somewhat subpar hardware and the performance issues with the current version of AppGameKit, it's a very affordable console that, due to it's open nature, is easily accesible for non-professional coders like me. If and when AppGameKit is able to negate these issues, I think a lot of coders will enjoy the 'new dimension' that comes with the ability to use big tv's and handheld controllers etc. Just my 2 cents though
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2013 11:12
great mini game !
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2013 12:40
Glad that people are liking this / finding it useful. I plan to convert some more of my 20 line challenges into AGK.

It's a pity it didn't work so well on the Ouya. Did you try it with the building transparency turned off?

I like the idea of Ouya, or any kind of open "micro" console, but I think Ouya is about £20 too expensive and the price for just the controller is ridiculous. I also prefer the Gamestick concept but can understand the criticisms being levelled at the controller.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 10:47:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 10:47:14