Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Somewhere in the Android version of AGK, it gets a device name, can we get it?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 22:09
When I view the LogCat output for an Android app run from Eclipse, I see a line that appears to have an identity for the device it is on. When run on my Nexus 7, it shows 'Nexus 7'. When run on my Kindle Fire 7" HD, it shows 'KFTT' (the 'Serial Number' shown in Eclipse is 'amazon-kftt-D<bunch of numbers/letters>', for the Nexus it shows 'asus-nexus_7-<...>. For my Samsung Galaxy S III it shows 'SAMSUNG-SGH-I747' ('Serial Number' = 'samsung-samsung_sgh_i747-<....>').

It is actually enough information to make a decision as to whether I need to do an accelerometer calibration (needed for Amazon Kindle Fire 7" HD).

The code that outputs the line is happening within the AppGameKit library. And that string must be coming from some call within the library that retrieves the device serial number.

Is there any way to make that value available outside of the library?

(This question is clearly aimed at the TGC programmers. But if anyone knows of a way to access the serial number of a device, that would be helpful.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 16:55
I second this!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 17:01
It might be kept internal because of Apple, like it can be really tricky to work out which exact Apple device is in use, so maybe that's kinda thrown it.

I third it though, if possible it would be really nice to have...

* Device manufacturer
* Device model
* Device UID if applicable
* Device OS version
* Device total available memory

Assuming these aren't provided already of course.

I am the one who knocks...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 17:09
I'm not too worried about Apple. There is enough information, sort of, in the GetDeviceName returns. And you can sort of count on some standard stuff with iOS.

It is Android devices that we really need this information. And, based on the LogCat output, AppGameKit is getting it from the device.

But, the set of commands you (Van B) are proposing could be very useful.

Please use Van B's list as the target commands that we would like. With highlights on manufacturer, model and OS version.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 17:24
Ohh Lady, assume nothing with Apple and iOS!

I spent ages with my native app, the memory requirement grew just a little, and all hell broke loose as the iPads and iPods all came together to make my life a misery . I ended up just going by the memory requirement, because half the methods I googled had drawbacks or flaws.

Like, getting the iPod Touch to work is a pain, because although it appears to be just a 4S without the phone stuff, it actually has less memory. One technique suggested testing the device to see if it has a camera, to tell if it's an iPhone or iPod, which is obviously redundant now

In the end, I added a special image loading function that would re-size the image if memory was getting short. A big problem with Apple, is always how the heck do you know for sure that your App works unless you see it working on the Apple device - even the xcode simulator won't pickup memory requirement problems.

Anyway, I'm rambling now sorry - hopefully we'll see the commands we need added, hopefully before someone submits an App claiming to work on iPod Touch. I did that, and the negative reviews killed my App stone dead - it can work on 100 different devices, but if you claim it works on a specific Apple device, know that it definitely does, otherwise it's a bloodbath - Apple users like nothing more than posting negative reviews.

I am the one who knocks...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 17:30
Sent a link to this thread to Paul. I agree this would make it possible to make some sensible decisions on how our code runs.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 17:53
It turns out that MissJoJo had to withdraw her iOS app because of problems with the iPod Touch.

And Van B is right, one should never assume anything. I do my iOS testing on an iPod Touch 4th gen, an iPad 2 and an iPad 3. So far, my WIP is not having issues (and it has a relatively small memory footprint).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 04:07
+1 for this !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 20:47:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 20:47:38