Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Faces of Evil (Working Title)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Faces of Evil

Hey guys, I promised a new type of horror/survival game in my last forum post, and I'm finally getting to the point where I can follow up on it. I've been working on gathering resources and designing levels for the past couple months, and I'm finally ready to start showing you what I'm accomplishing.

There really isn't a plot as of right now, I'm currently done the basics and am brainstorming the specific events that will occur in the game, but I'll talk about that later, here's a screenshot or two

Oooooooo, spooky door......

In this game, I want to work in the idea of having a main character who is living in a post-apocalyptic world, traveling around like a nomad, and whom has to deal with the undead, mutated creatures, and his own schizophrenic mind. I am going to make the character have a personality and have a lot of emotional depth, and really try to pull the player into the world, not just have him controlling some dude with a gun that kills some stuff

Anyways, that's what I've got for you now, I don't wanna give too much away just yet, so if you want to learn more about my plans for the game, leave a comment and check back frequently! Oh, and did you guys want a couple more screenshots? (Pssst, it doesn't matter if you do or don't you're getting them anyway )

All of the dark lighting!!!

I really wanna know what people think of this one, it's really tricky trying to naturally light up an air duct. Does the candle work here?

That guy's just hanging out.

Warning, do not feed the big scary monster, he may or not be extremely angry/violent, and he may or may not decide to rip your head off and play volleyball with it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! I'm excited to hear feedback from you guys!

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2013 06:30
Looks good

www.pixeleater.me
Register now to become a reasonably intelligent human being!
MrCrazyDude115
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2013 20:27
Dude, this looks amazing

Dat crazy dude behind you...
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2013 08:49
I like the look of the game, the story sounds interesting as well. However I have some constructive criticism that may help you, just in my opinion of course.

-Consider changing the stock huds for either appropriate custom ones, OR

-consider, do you need huds in the first place? Huds can detract from immersion in a game, and a horror such as this could benefit from the extra tension and immersion.

-Try around using some different coloured lights. In 6 of the 7 images the same yellowish colour is used. The screenshot of orange in the vent is a nice variation. It may be a scary horror game, but a little bit of difference goes a long way in terms of level design.

-the segments feel repeated a little too much. This would be best helped by using the same type of segment in blocks at a time, so you can get away with only using a small variety of segments throughout the game but you may go a level before seeing the same segment again

-Here are some links to websites that may help you with your development (if you don't already know them)

Free Sound effects

Free music

Free textures

Remember, the criticism is just my opinion!
Hope that helps,

Burger

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download the demo today!
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2013 14:46
It looks like you have made a decent start.

You need to add the illuminationent.fx shader to the ceiling lights; otherwise it looks the lights aren't on, but, they are still emitting light.

As Burger said, try a different variation of colours. Think about what mood you are trying to set. Yellows and oranges are warm colours and Blues and greens are colder colours. The colder colours will set a cool chilled atmosphere and can add tension if used correctly.

Good start so far.

Unfamillia

The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
@PixelF & @MrCrazyDude115 Thanks for the compliments guys!

@Burger Those HUDs are only temporary, I'm still trying to figure out how I want the final ones to look. I agree with the very minimal to no HUD concept as well, it really makes the player think about what he/she is doing. I also agree with the comment about lighting colors, I plan on changing them in the very near future, thank you for that critique, as well as the one about segments, although those screenshots are mainly from the same level, so they are naturally going to use the same/similar segment patterns, but I'll try spicing it up a little bit to keep the environment looking fresh. And finally, thanks for the list of links, I knew of the texture and sound effect websites, but had no idea about the music one, I'll be sure to hit them up a lot!

@unfamillia I had noticed that the lights looked like they were turned off after I had taken these screenshots, and am currently fixing those issues. I'm also going to work on changing up my color pallet a tiny bit, as I have said previously in my response to Burger.

I just want to thank you all for the helpful criticism and the compliments, it means a lot! I'm currently working on the next two to three levels, so I'll upload screenshots as I complete them.

Thanks!

The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, I'm back for a quick update! I've been working on this on and off because of my busy school schedule and coming down with a nasty cold, but I've made a decent bit of progress on the story and the level progression of the game. A lot of it is on paper as of right now, but I am going to take the next couple weeks and get it all onto the computer and into FPSC. I have a couple screenshots on what I have gotten done lately, it's not much, but at least it's something for you guys to critique!

I hatched the idea of releasing this game in chapters so that I have more time to really perfect the story arc and also pick up skills along the way to make the game itself evolve until it will, hopefully, be absolutely fantastic and could be among one of the greats! This is going to be a fun learning experience for me, and I hope what I deliver is a great game that you guys can all enjoy. It'd be awesome if you could give a couple of comments of what you think of the chapters idea, and also anything related to the screenshots. Thanks guys!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:22:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:22:21