Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK v1 Broadcasting Issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This is my first post to this forum. I have done some Googling as well as searching of the forum and nothing that I have come across has given me a good answer to my question or geared me in a good direction. First, the main version of AppGameKit v1 I have been using is 107. I have tried 108, which I believe is beta, and have had the same luck. I have been making sure to use the correct version of the player with the software. For the record, I do not belong to a Windows Homegroup and I am hard wired into a router that my phone and tablet are connected.

Windows:
The only available Windows player appears to be 106, which it runs in standby, but then says there is a version error and needs updated. At this time I have not found an updated one.

Apple:
Iphone 5
The players in the App Store does not work and it seemed like I was not the only person to have these problems.

Android:
Google Nexus 7 2013
I have tried the players that Ancient Lady has put out, as well as a few others I found. The one in the Google Play Store doesn't work with either 107 or 108.

I have tried disabling my firewall; I use Norton Internet Security. I do not have any VPN's set up. I have the correct ports forwarded and PFPortChecker says that they are all open UDP and TCP (but it says it is not able to ping my router). At this time, I have pretty much tried everything except trying it on a different network, which I cannot do at this time.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I wanted to try to cover it all, and maybe I am even missing some information. Maybe this is currently a lost cause and the players just don't work for the software builds I am using...

Does anybody have any ideas at all? Thank you in advanced!

"Anything is possible, until proven impossible." -pkennedy
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2013 13:46 Edited at: 12th Sep 2013 13:49
Hello patech and welcome to the forum

The only piece of information I need to know is are you using Tier 1 (Basic with the AppGameKit IDE) or Tier 2 (C++ with AppGameKit libs with VS2010 or similar as an IDE)? I'd assume Tier 1 because I don't think you can broadcast to the player from Tier 2 (Although I maybe wrong, I use Tier 1 myself)

I'm fairly sure I didn't have to do much in the way of network config to make AppGameKit work properly, apart from pressing the odd "Ok" button in the firewall dialog the first time I ran it.

Windows Player: I've never heard of this. Although thinking about it it's obviously the little exe generated by the IDE when you compile (In tier 1); I assume it just plays the bytecode. To the best of my knowledge the correct version is supplied as part of the AppGameKit installation.

Apple Player: Due to Apples restrictions, there isn't an iOS Player as such, there is instead a Viewer, which is similar, but not the same thing. It simply replays whats on your PC's screen to the iPhone, rather than running the bytecode in a VM which is what the player does.

Android Player: The best one is the one from the store, in conjunction with the latest beta (currently 1.08 beta 19); I'm not sure where the "official" place to get the player for the current Stable version is. It's not listed under "My Products", and is not available on the droid store.

Start again with a clean fresh install of AppGameKit (I would recommend the Beta if you plan on using mobiles to test using the player) and make sure you have the correct version of the player/viewer installed from the relevant store. Let me know what happens when you compile and run a simple "Hello World" program.

This should at least compile and run on your Windows PC, if not broadcast to the player/viewer on the mobile devices.

Hope that helps a little, let us know how you get on

patech
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you! My hopes are to learn, thrive, and become a contributing member.

I am currently only using Tier 1. I have uninstalled all AppGameKit versions and installed v108.19 beta. I uninstalled all versions on my Android and re-installed from the Google Play Store. I am currently not going to worry about my iPhone. I load it up in administrator, do a simple hello world program, hit F-5, and the AppGameKit on the Android is stuck in "STANDBY" and did not even register that anything was broadcast. My tablet is definitely connected to Wifi, but it is like there is a setting that is not allowing it to register. I would not believe it to be an AppGameKit issue if others are succeeding.

I will have a chance to check it tomorrow on a different network on my work computer, because after trying this, I feel that the problem MUST lie somewhere within my router. What, why, where, how...remains unknown.

Also, I am well aware and have been able to run using the internal player that runs when you compile, but the Windows player, I believe is to transmit it to another computer, such as a laptop. It is available on Intel AppUp.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2013 16:20
I am almost certain that the Windows Player on Intel AppUp is likely to be way out of date with the current AppGameKit version. It may even be v1076, which is not compatible with any v108 version (except maybe the first couple of betas).

It might be a dumb question, how is your wireless network connected to the router your computer is connected to? (Mine are via a wireless router attached to a simple switch attached to the main router, and it works fine on all my devices.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
patech
Years of Service
User Offline
My computer is wired directly to a router, which of course, connects to the modem.

Regardless, I was set on that is was something within the router. So I basically searched every single page of the router admin center. It happens to be something called the Netgear Genie, which is actually a pretty in depth router admin. (I have only dealt with linksys in the past and it is nothing too too special in my opinion.)

I come across something checked called "Enable Wireless Isolation" and with a quick Google search, find that it basically blocks wireless connections from connecting to wired PCs. Unchecked it, hit save, and boom. Android works (108 beta, didn't try 107 I don't think) and iOS works in 107.

For anyone else that may be using Netgear or even having issues and are wired directly, you may want to check out wireless isolation and turn it off. In the Netgear Genie, it is located under Basic>>Wireless>>Wireless Network.

Thanks for your help Prof and Lady.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2013 07:03
I am glad you were able to find the fix. And thank you for sharing, it is good information.

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 12:17:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 12:17:04