Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / The Lost Road Home

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2013 16:54
Hey there! I've finished the first part of my first proper game, which I coded in DarkBASIC Professional. I thought you guys might like to take a look!

It is called "The Lost Road Home" and it is set two years after a deadly influenza pandemic has collapsed nations across the globe. You are basically a survivor roaming the streets somewhere in England, simply trying to survive.

I originally set out to create a game similar to "Dear Esther" and after watching a fantastic film called "The Road", I decided to try and merge the two. But then it flourished into a first-person survival puzzle game.

The puzzles rely on platform elements combined with the collecting and using of items you find along the way. A word of warning: the game does contain some blood and violence.

Download from:
https://app.box.com/s/oa0hxfth08cb1uchc804

Screenshots:

I hope you enjoy playing it and I'd love to hear what people think! Cheers!

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2013 00:32
This short demo was AWESOME. The UI looks stunning, and the smoothness of the controls and camera makes the controls easy and nice to use. I think the only thing that is letting you down here is your models. Coming from some old fpsc packs, they're a little too dated for my liking. You could try visiting these two sites for freeware game assets: http://tf3dm.com/ or http://www.turbosquid.com/index.cfm!

I love the inventory system, its simple and sleek! And the simple puzzle was quite fun too.

For being created in DBpro, I think this is shaping up into a nice game. Two questions:
1) How long have you spent so far (curious )
2) How do you get past the part where you're standing on the truck!? Im stuck! (no pun intended)

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2013 01:58
I am extremely impressed! very professional work you have here. The controls especially felt very smooth. Everything was polished, great demo. I agree with Paronamixxe, the models could be better. In addition, try adding some lightmapping or simple normal mapping either of those would add a lot to the atmosphere. But seriously, great work. The part with the dog was really tense, I liked that as well. +1!

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
I gave up at the dog. Couldn't figure out how to get past him.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
This is very impressive. It was spooky, I kept looking around cautiously because of the noise lol. I completed this demo and I gotta say, that last part was quite the challenge!

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2013 12:54
Did any of you manage to pass the crate on the truck!? Its got me! XD Although, I agree Thenerd, lightmapping! Wasn't really spooky enough. Might be because I play way too many horror games but anyway...

Hyp3rSnip3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2013 15:27
Quote: "This short demo was AWESOME. The UI looks stunning, and the smoothness of the controls and camera makes the controls easy and nice to use. I think the only thing that is letting you down here is your models. Coming from some old fpsc packs, they're a little too dated for my liking. You could try visiting these two sites for freeware game assets: http://tf3dm.com/ or http://www.turbosquid.com/index.cfm!

I love the inventory system, its simple and sleek! And the simple puzzle was quite fun too.

For being created in DBpro, I think this is shaping up into a nice game. Two questions:
1) How long have you spent so far (curious )
2) How do you get past the part where you're standing on the truck!? Im stuck! (no pun intended)"

Aww thank-you! I'm glad you are enjoying it! It's great to hear that kind of feedback. Yeah I couldn't agree more about the models, it was all I could get my hands on at the time lol XD. Thank-you for the link to the resources! They are fantastic! 1) I spent a few weeks getting the controls/movement/collision polished and then designed/worked on the actual game for a couple of months and once that was complete, I spent a week making the menus. 2) Basically you need to use the crate on top of the truck to get to the next area. Have you explored ALL of the buildings?

Quote: "I am extremely impressed! very professional work you have here. The controls especially felt very smooth. Everything was polished, great demo. I agree with Paronamixxe, the models could be better. In addition, try adding some lightmapping or simple normal mapping either of those would add a lot to the atmosphere. But seriously, great work. The part with the dog was really tense, I liked that as well. +1!"

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! Yeah I definitely need to start focusing on the more graphical side of things. I think I'll start toying around with light and normal mapping in future projects. Thanks for the advice!

Quote: "I gave up at the dog. Couldn't figure out how to get past him."

Thanks for playing! I'm not going to give it away too easily But if in real-life, you were faced with a locked wooden door that you desperately needed to get through, what would you do?

Quote: "This is very impressive. It was spooky, I kept looking around cautiously because of the noise lol. I completed this demo and I gotta say, that last part was quite the challenge!"

I'm glad you enjoying played and I'm very impressed that you figured the last part out! Yeah I found that DBPs 3D sound was a tad glitchy/not accurate enough, so I coded my own 3D sound system in order to give that extra "OMG is there something over there?!" scare factor lol. I'm glad it worked! =D And yeah the difficulty curve does jump up tremendously when you meet the dog. A flaw in my game design I think lol.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 07:33
Really well done! Yeah, the graphics are dated, but in a good HL1 sort of way.

The controls were nice, smooth and responsive however the view felt a bit jittery, like the camera movement could use a bit of subtle smoothing/curvevalue.

All in all, it was a quick fun demo. I figured out the barn door without too much trouble, but took quite a few tries to get everything done on the other side... that dog is fast!

Hyp3rSnip3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 17:13
Thanks Ortu! Yeah I actually thought about adding such a feature and adding a variable slider in the options for the catch-up speed - but laziness prevented me from doing so XD However, I will be sure to add such a feature to any future releases =] Yeah the last puzzle is quite a rush job, that dog is a pesky fellow!

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Mouselook smoothing is the stupidest thing ever invented, do not implement such a thing.

Totally screwed up Duke Forever for example.

It's for casual console shooter players, who haven't yet touched an actual shooter in their lives.

All was awesome, but that's stupid that you can't close the door with something in your hand, kept me from completing for minutes that the damn door just won't close.
slanw
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome

After i push the door and close it with the wood stick, then what ????

To be or not to be...
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 14:43
Don't listen to Quel, mouselook smoothing is essential when creating any project with actually quality. No offence

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 18:53
Quote: "Don't listen to Quel, mouselook smoothing is essential when creating any project with actually quality. No offence"

If the smoothing behaves like the mouse acceleration does in some games, then it's a terrible "feature". Takes away control and is unnecessary when we have such precise control instruments compared to consoles. There's a reason there's a menu option to disable it most of the time.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 02:23
I always switch off mouse acceleration in video games; sadly the performance is never brilliant enough to maintain the expected acceleration.

In one instance you move it an inch, the cursor moves across the screen, in another instance you move it two inches; the cursor moves 2 pixels. Mouse CPU simulated mouse-movement is never consistent; and sometimes the Windows control panel mouse enhancement affects the game's mouse capture.

This is me referring to a number of AAA games I play.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2013 23:33
perhaps there is a disconnect in termonology, I wasn't talking about acceleration or inertia; I was refering to interpolation which benefits positioning the same way that antialiasing benefits pixelated edges.

non smoothed motion is particularly glaring when moving the mouse in a diagonal as you see all the jerky vertical then horizontal stepped movements.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 01:32 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 01:38
Hehehe, that must be some 4 DPI mouse! LOL; I wow that is really crap. So slow and 'jerky'. Can't believe that guy's engine renders one frame with horizontal movement, then another frame with vertical. 'zig-zaggy' if you will.

I see your point!

But at 800 - 3600 DPI it would not move so bad. I can comfortably hit 3 or 5 targets in 5 or so seconds at a measly 20 FPS in a 40 people multiplayer online server at the moment. When I switch it on, I die; all of a sudden I can only shoot walls, doors and windows.

I see your point however, but having an option to disable smoothing for strange people like me would be much appreciated.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 15:38
I actually didn't have a problem with the mouselook. For me it was very smooth. Actually, the movement reminded me of Half life. It had a very good feel in my opinion.

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 20:45 Edited at: 16th Oct 2013 21:10
What are all the controls?
(I don't play a lot of FPS games)

I see that SHIFT=Crouch... what else? Is there a sprint?

D.D.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 00:21
Well done!!

I must admit, the dog got me a couple times. Cool gameplay idea by the way!

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Hyp3rSnip3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 16:48
Yeah I personally cannot stand mouse-smoothing, I always turn it off in games, but I think it would be a nice optional feature to add for those that require it.

Hey Derek Darkly, thanks for taking a look! The controls should pop-up on the screen when necessary during the game. But if you are totally stumped, go into the Options menu (if you are in-game, press escape to access the Main menu) and then click on Key Map - this will present you with all the controls. You can also change the controls, if you don't like the default bindings, by clicking the little pencil that appears next to whatever command your mouse is hovering over. I hope this helps!

Thanks Wolf! I'm glad you enjoyed it! =D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:20:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:20:06