Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Making Background Images

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't want to just make a single color background for my games. I want something that looks professional and cool. Anyone have any ideas of what software I could use to make some really professional looking backgrounds for games? I'm learning GIMP but I'm not sure that's the right solution. If I wanted to make a neat scene of a JUNGLE, for example, or an UNDERWATER scene, what would I use?

Or, are there any open source or free clip art locations that have professional looking images?

I'm only posting now because I've spend countless nights searching the internet for all kinds of supposedly free sites which all turn out to cost money and they aren't cheap. I'm not apposed to spending money for quality results but not several hundred. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2013 08:13 Edited at: 15th Sep 2013 10:01
Hi,

there are several routes you could take. The most easy route, which I understand you have explored to an extend, is making your own images with a paint program or a photo-editor. The ease and succes of this method are greatly dependend on your skills and the mastery of the software you use. You've been using GIMP, but you might also give these (free) programs a look, that have different interfaces:

- Sumopaint
- Artweaver
- MyPaint

Another route is taking a picture that is free to use in an commercial project and then editing it so it fits the style you are persuing in your program. I've googled a bit for you and found a few blog-posts that sum up a number of image-sites with stuff that is free to use. I haven't checked all the links, but you should be able to find quite a lot of material:

- blog that lists 10 free sites
- blog that lists 16 free sites
- blog that lists 13 free sites

So in combination with the tools listed above, you could find a jungle or underwater-scene and paint it over to your liking. Some software can even paint images for you to an extend. Not sure if the programs I listed can do this, since I use Corel Painter and Art Rage Pro, which are paid programs. (I suck at art though, so I've been focusing on coding for a while). Anyway, hope this helps.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2013 09:07
i use artrage studio.
i would use a background layer with a real photo (as help) and then
paint outlines in a layer and in next layer fill this with any brush.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2013 14:57
I use paint.net for 2D artwork, it's free and very capable.

I also use iStockPhoto.com for my webdesign a lot and have at times used this for graphics in games as well, their stuff isn't free but it is reasonably priced.

I'm sure there are a lot of free media posts in the forums, especially the DBP board.

Hope that helps.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2013 16:13
I swear by PaintShopPro 9, it's much like Photoshop, but I find it much clearer and easier to use. Also, it's a good all round package, with lots of effects and more organic painting tools, as well as really easy pixel editing.

I am the one who knocks...
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I also prefer Paint Shop Pro. There is an older version of photoshop available for free now as well, although I find it rather unfriendly. If only Deluxe Paint 4 was around still

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2013 18:37
@DVader:
DPaint 4 was the best. I still haven't found an art package with a gradient flood fill to match Deluxe Paint's

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 16:31
I use Photoshop, GIMP , and Blender.
Blender helps me get the shading look correct on anything I want to look 3D. GIMP is super powerful, but often you'll have to look for plugins to acheive what you want... although the plugins that it comes with can be used for some really neat effects (even some GIF animations, which could be ported to a sprite atlas).
All take a bit of learning. Fortunately Youtube has tons of videos to help.

bstebbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all of the replies. The two best FREE sites that I found thanks to your help are:

http://www.sxc.hu/

and

http://www.123rf.com/

And, I've used GIMP for some effects and simply PAINT for other things. Thanks again for all your help. These forums are such a great help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 06:51:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 06:51:16