Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Get GameCenter user unique ID

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 09:27
Hello

I've posted this feature request on Google Code :
https://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/detail?id=591

For a game I'm working on, I'd like to follow the same player on his iOS/OSX devices.

It would be great to have the GameCenter user ID in tier 1.

I haven't see it on AppGameKit GameCenter commands.

Imagine a long term game, with multi levels, playable with same parameters on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The player can start a game on one device and continue it on others. It's only possible with this unique ID (and an internet backup of its parameters).

What do you think about it ?

--
Patrick P.
http://www.gamolf.fr
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 16:51
If the user has the same Game Center login on all of their devices, then you should not need the actual Game Center ID.

The Game Center login command uses whatever is stored on their device to log them in (or asks for login info).

Unless they use a different Game Center identity on their different devices, then you will always be connecting to the same Game Center Account.

But, having just looked at your Google post, the issue comes down to multiple players on the same device.

The problem appears to be with Game Center and not necessarily AGK. It looks like only one Game Center ID can be logged in on the same device at any one time. So multiple players on the same device cannot be logged into Game Center at the same time. At least this is what I see in my googling.

And, I suppose, in your game's case, you want to be able to keep whatever game state constant across devices.

One way might be to ask for a user name when the game is installed (or, if you allow multiple users on one device, also allow adding a new user name). Then, since you appear to be using an internet account to store stuff (database, I expect), you do some back and forth to add/check the name and return a unique id for your system. This is what I am doing in my WIP. It even recognizes when someone uses the same name on multiple devices and verifies that it is them.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
pprem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 22:57
Multiusers on the same device is of course a problem in my case.

Using a user/password is an idea, usefull to play on Android and iOS with the same user account, but I prefer using Apple ID if we can obtain it.

--
Patrick P.
http://www.gamolf.fr
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 00:02
The Apple id on an iOS device and the Game Center id are tied together, but are not the same thing.

At the moment, the AppGameKit commands don't support getting the Game Center ID. Especially not in Tier 1.

In Tier 2, there are probably ways using Objective C and standard (?) Apple SDKs and things.

You have your request in the Google list. And made a similar one here. That is probably the best that can be done for now. But there is no guarantee that the request will be taken up and, if it is, when it will show up. I suspect TGC is busy with V2 right now.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 20:44:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 20:44:08