Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Wanna play chess? ChessNation is on the way

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 20:43 Edited at: 24th Oct 2013 21:18
Hi everyone, I have been working on and off on a multiplayer chess game. It is playable in its current state. I got a lobby server running.

What you can do:
-Create a user
-See the lobby
-Challenge a player
-Play a full game of chess either asynchronously or live
-Review your move before sending it to opponent
-See current games and if it is your turn or not (Red it is opponents turn, green it is your turn)
-Offer a draw
-Resign

What you can't do:
-Chat
-Delete a started game (other than offering a draw or resigning, but this still requires opponent to accept in case of draw offered or clicking ok when you resign before the game is deleted)
-Accept or refuse a challenge (all challenges are accepted automatically)
-Retrieve lost username and/or password (admins can however, easily! So don't use a sensitive password!)

I hope you will try it out and tell me about the bugs you find in there Registred users limit is 1000 and online users limit is 50. These numbers will change as testing goes along. Each page in the lobby will only display the first 116 users correct but I don't except that many users yet, I will of course correct this soon!!

EDIT: New update, you can now review your move before sending it.

EDIT 2: You can now offer a draw, resign or have a game end in a forced draw (is not in check and has no legal move, this is untested though).
The server also sleeps whit nice wait from IanM's MatrixUtils when no users are online. The first user logging in can therefore experience a few seconds wait before being able to login.

The byte chrunchers are coming...
DIVIDING BY ZERO/BECAUSE WE SUCK...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 21:46 Edited at: 19th Sep 2013 21:46
Downloaded your game. I am not a huge chess fan, but I always like to see what others have done with DBPro, especially if it is a network game.

First: You have many BMPs in that zip. Switching the file type to PNG will keep 100% of the quality, but reduce the file size considerably. Just something to think about.

Second: I made an account, and clicked the button at the top. Nothing happened. Probably because I was the only one there. Then, when I clicked the button at the bottom, I got a DarkNet error, which I think might have crashed your server app, because now I cannot connect at all.

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 21:54 Edited at: 19th Sep 2013 22:46
First: I will try switching

Second: You crashed my server allright Strange thing is that it seems like your user never got created. Can you tell me excactly which buttons you click when this happens? The server is running again

EDIT: Had to take it down for moment again :-(

EDIT 2nd: Online again, for now.

EDIT 3rd: It seems like my TCP packets gets screwed up when travelling through the internet :-( Does anybody have a clue? And what could be done?

EDIT 4th: Okay, now the packets seems right. I had to assign the IP address in the server app.

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 12:13
I had a friend to help me test ChessNation yesterday and some problems showed up that I will have to see if can fix. Strange thing is that these problems does not appear when I test it here so that makes it very hard to troubleshoot.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been making client/server programs using DarkNet for quite some time. If you need help, post your source here and I will take a look.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 18:37
Quote: "First: You have many BMPs in that zip. Switching the file type to PNG will keep 100% of the quality, but reduce the file size considerably. Just something to think about."

BMPs load faster than PNGs, and are compressed to about the same size as a PNG when you zip all of the game files, so it's generally a question of "how much hard drive space do I want the end-user to waste" and "do I need the images to load fast or not".

TheComet

horses
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 15:07
Quote: "BMPs load faster than PNGs, and are compressed to about the same size as a PNG when you zip all of the game files, so it's generally a question of "how much hard drive space do I want the end-user to waste" and "do I need the images to load fast or not"."

The whole things is about 7-8mb right now, unpacked. It doesn't do a whole lot of af loading nor do I need to put an insane amount if grahpics in there so I will leave it at bmp's for now. I have, however, considered different chess pieces and boards that the player can unlock by playing.

The server is down at the moment, a lot of things are working now that was not working at first upload to this board. Users can now be created without problems (not like when GIDustin tried for the first time, that error should be long gone!) It is possible to do a double login using two instances of the client (or as many as fifty if no one else is connected), I will fix that before going online again

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 13:35
Double login is history now I have uploaded the updated client to the first post. Server is online now so please try it out My user is "stefan" if you want to challenge me (I am not that good at chess!).

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 16:45
Quote: "I have been making client/server programs using DarkNet for quite some time."

What kind of programs??

Quote: "If you need help, post your source here and I will take a look."

Sounds good Will do!

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What kind of programs??"

Sorry it took so long. I decided to create an entire webpage dedicated to the projects I have made with DBPro. There are still a few missing, but the majority of them are on there.

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2013 12:26
Quote: "Sorry it took so long."

Don't be Besides you replied pretty quick, the morning after my post

Quote: "I decided to create an entire webpage dedicated to the projects I have made with DBPro."

That is some very nice projects Much like your video chat my chess program spawned because I did not want to pay for playing asynchronous chess

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:19:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:19:10