Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] Question for Bond1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 19:05 Edited at: 21st Sep 2013 19:23
Is it possible to add Illumination (as with the illuminationent.fx shader) to the tangentbasis shader for entities?

I want to keep the look of the metal you can get with the tangentbasis shader, but want to add light effects. Is this possible?

Example:

Or... If anyone knows of an alternative please let me know. Thanks.

Back from the Wasteland.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 23:07
Exactly the same question I've been asking as of recently.

Youtube, Twitter, Instagram: Teabone3
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2013 01:59
How about creating a separate entity, duplicated from the original, but with a blank texture aside from the light spots with illuminationent.fx applied, and in the same position as the original light? Or is that too much of a fuss? I'm not sure either way, but thought it may not hurt to mention.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download the demo today!
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2013 10:57 Edited at: 24th Sep 2013 00:15
I have used a similar method using the animated shader, and made it a segment. It looks good, but placement is of coarse limited.

Since this console is a segment, I can add the lights, and screens entity as a seperate part in the .fps already lined up. One click, and your done. Same as a door or window. But thats a lot of extra work that could be avoided if we had an illumination capable shader in the tangent basis set.

Back from the Wasteland.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 23:07
I find it a bit tedious to try to overlay another object on top of another to get these effects.

Youtube, Twitter, Instagram: Teabone3
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 23:50 Edited at: 26th Sep 2013 03:18
I know, it's a pain. It's why I chose to make these items segments instead of entities. This way I can use tangentbasis on the segment part, and add the lights as an entity using an illuminated, or animated shader.

Like this...

because the rods are segments, I can use the same shader (tangentbasis) that is used on the surrounding walls, and it all blends in nicly together.

Problem is... Your very limited in placement options as they are segments, and it would be great to have an entity shader that could do this on it's own.

Back from the Wasteland.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2013 14:39 Edited at: 25th Sep 2013 14:39
I obviously can't be of assistance here Cosmic, but, they are some nice looking models my friend! Would you be offended if I were to make something similar for my game?

I obviously won't copy it, just the idea.

Jay

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2013 18:41 Edited at: 26th Sep 2013 03:02
unfamillia: Thanks buddy. These new models are all part of my next model pack. "Rise of the Machines". It's a large collection of all types of animated, and static machines with a ton of effects. Here's a little teaser.... The Loader. comes in animated, and static versions.

Back from the Wasteland.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks a lot better when you recorded it. Nice to see my animations working good for you.

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 03:00 Edited at: 26th Sep 2013 03:06
Thanks Buddy, Yeah it did turn out pretty nice. And thanks again for helping sort that out. I'm still having issues with Milkshape, and as soon as I'm done with this pack I'm going to take your advice and try out Blender. I see what you meant about all the features.

And I'm getting "Really" frustrated with MilkShape, and think it's time to move on to something better.

Say, you've played around with Shaders, what do you think? Can this effect be achieved with a single entity shader?

Back from the Wasteland.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 03:37 Edited at: 26th Sep 2013 03:38
You should ask Uzi or Rolfy directly. As far as getting the effects you would you could "Bake" the textures and use the animated shader or illumination shaders.

However, milkshape is not going to bake anything, but blender can or 3ds, maya, blah, blah and blah. Video textures would be the next thing I would go with as you can use say bonds dynamic entity shader with the video texture.

Just throwing ideas based on what I have seen from Rolfy.

EDIT: Send me that arc thingy and I could try a few things.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 07:49
That's incredible work Cosmic Prophet. A lot of work and detail went into that machine. I love the cab and guard rail. The hydraulic action of the legs.. just wow
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 19:29 Edited at: 26th Sep 2013 19:37
ncmako: Thanks bud. I just recently began playing "Black Mesa" again, and thought that the walker in the beginning credits was really neat, and wanted to do something similar (but way bigger, with a more practical design for loading and transporting heavy equiptment, or barrels, whatever).

Starmind: Sure thing my friend, I'd like to see what you can come up with. I'll shoot it over to you today.

Back from the Wasteland.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 20:22
HEH-HEH, this seems to have turned into a WIP thread. So... If its not too much trouble, Can the next MOD who drops by, change the title of the thread to "Rise of the Machines WIP". Thanks guys!
I'll just continue here instead of starting a new thread.

Back from the Wasteland.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 00:18
Cosmic,

Great looking model. If I may be so bold; just a teeny bit of criticism. The animations could do with being changed. Unless its being used in a zero gravity environment, I don't think it would realistically move. It should really 'walk' by moving the opposite feet. Like other quadrupeds. So, the front left moves forward in time with the back right, then the front right moves forward with the back left. That way, there is always a foot either side of the machine to support its weight.

Anyway, they are your models and these are just my opinions.

Keep up the great work mate.

Jay.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 06:54 Edited at: 27th Sep 2013 06:57
Quote: " It should really 'walk' by moving the opposite feet. Like other quadrupeds. So, the front left moves forward in time with the back right, then the front right moves forward with the back left. That way, there is always a foot either side of the machine to support its weight. "

Cp originally did animate it that way, but I decided on an image.In the image it is all four on the ground and has a sliding action with spring step.

So yes you are right for realism the loader should support its weight like a cockroach would.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Cp originally did animate it that way"

Well, maybe if Dale still has the original skeleton, he could supply both versions?

Great work BTW as always, another one for my collection.

SC

Bringing you games since 1981!
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work but the loader as everyone has said would not support the weight check out halflife intro the loader there is how I would go about it as also said above.

As for the shader I'm thinking maybe animated texture the way to go to achieve what you want.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline

Redemption?

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 07:58
I made a short one too. Looks great Bro!

Back from the Wasteland.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 17:00
I have found a solution for the shader issue thanks.

This can be locked. Thanks.

Back from the Wasteland.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:58:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:58:37