Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Linux Support - given the Valve/SteamOS news - has to be worth a look?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 19:25
I know Linux has never been seen as a 'gaming platform' by many users, but after Valve's completely expected announcement of SteamOS, based on Ubuntu Linux, maybe it's time to look at it again.

Valve's GreenLight program is designed to bring indie games to market and offers Windows Mac and Linux games. Since Valve deals with the code-security and money aspect of the purchases, obviously for their cut, then all three platforms become viable for sales.

If SteamOS (and the expected SteamBox) take off, then it becomes even more sensible to look at Linux.

I used to cross-develop for Linux on the Quake2 Engine many years ago and it was an easy task. I did most of the work in Windows VS and just had switches set for the compiler so the Linux Make happened automatically, from the same source files when I switched OS.

Android is built on Linux, so maybe it wouldn't be too hard to modify the AppGameKit Android output to become Linux executables? Don't know how viable an idea that is as I've not tried any Android development yet.

Just a thought, in an ever changing world...

--
Mutant Ninja Grandfather
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 22:48
i think the solution is one agk os for all plattforms
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2013 00:10
I've been asking for Linux support for a while now. Mainly because it is a must if you ever want to be on the Humble Bundle. Also a lot of indies release for Linux. Linux users are known for spending a lot more money on games, they always donate more money per user than the other platforms on Humble Bundle. Linux uses OpenGL so porting should be quite easy I think. However, Paul has mentioned that he has no experience with Linux.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 00:38
Well this can be a good thing.
I agree for an AppGameKit for Linux.

Long life to Steve!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 10:01
I to agree with AppGameKit for linux. I would love to move to linux but the lack of software scares me off every time. And as others have said, linux users usually pay more for games than other platforms

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
RiEvEr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 11:42
I agree, a lot of commercial software is tied to Windows, but the amount of free (and now even paid) software on Linux has increased exponentially since I was last coding on it around 10+ years ago.

There are full free IDEs, free compilers for almost every language and a very supportive development community as well as free graphics and modelling packages.

Currently I am at the stage where I have to consider the future costs of sticking with Windows as far as the actual OS and proprietary Office software goes. If the Steam initiative is successful, then Windows becomes much less attractive since SteamOS will be free and -anyone- could install it and run my games.

I'm currently fiddling about with C# (It didn't exist when I last coded so I had to have a play with it) so I'm going to see if there's a free Linux version of that to try out. The syntax is a bit of a mish-mash of C and C++, both of which I'm very comfortable with, but the fast prototyping is what interests me the most.

If AppGameKit had Linux support, then buying into V2 would be a no-brainer

--
Mutant Ninja Grandfather
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 19:08
Well, unless I am mistaken, C# is an invention of Microsoft. I don't know if you will find compilers for in in Linux.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 19:10
I strongly think that Steam Box will be huge. It might take a little while to catch on and convince console users to move over to it, but I really think they will once they see the performance and how less locked down it is than M$ or $ony.

I also think we'll see a lot of folks building their own Steam OS PCs.
And now that Pipelight exists, I myself will likely be looking to replace the PS3 / Laptop combo that is my home entertainment center.

So... Linux support would be great. As well as HTML5. It doesn't seem to me like there should be too big of a stretch to do so, but... I don't really know.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 19:24 Edited at: 27th Sep 2013 19:30
Quote: "Well, unless I am mistaken, C# is an invention of Microsoft. I don't know if you will find compilers for in in Linux."

It was developed by Microsoft but is ECMA/ISO approved so non-ms compilers and IDEs can exist. Mono is the most popular open c# compiler and includes Linux support.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 19:37
I've heard a lot of concern about Steam OS, or rather the Steam Machines. People was hoping for a single Steam Box. That would be a lot easier to sell to average Joe customers and also easier to develop for. A single spec device means developers can target that hardware.

Some good news: Nvidia have been involved in the development of Steam OS and they have also become more friendly to Linux and open source. We also haven't seen the 3rd announcement from Valve. I think it's scheduled for today. People are speculating that Valve might release some games (like HL3) exclusively to Steam or Steam OS.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 21:10
And the final reveal is a weird new controller. I wonder how the lack of the classic 4 face buttons will affect gaming. And I wonder how FPS and RTS will work on it. It looks like something that might take a while to get used to.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 21:16
It has four face buttons. It also allows for infinite buttons via the screen in the middle.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 21:19
Not the reveal I was hoping for, but the controller looks pretty interesting. I've always had a tough time with those tiny little thumb sticks and they're in a crappy place. Can't wait to try one of these.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I smell a new AppGameKit Kickstarter!!!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2013 00:13
Quote: "It has four face buttons"

Not the regular ones that are placed close to each other, easy to use with a single thumb. Imagine playing, for example, a fighting game on that one.

RiEvEr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2013 03:55
C# seems to be quite popular.

On Linux I have found that Mono can compile C# and XNA code produced in Windows VS to run natively. That is quite an achievement as XNA is used to produce Indie Xbox 360 games.

I have also seen that C# can be used on the Unity engine, and cross compiled for almost every OS including Linux.

There do seem to be several options out there that offer Linux support for Windows coders. I'm glad things have moved on a little during my 10 year hiatus. *chuckles*

I like the Steam controller - it's about time someone let me use the fingers UNDER the controller! I am sure fighting games on PC, which is Steam's platform after all whether Linux or Windows, would work fine as you can re-assign the buttons and it has 16 of them to choose from.

--
Mutant Ninja Grandfather
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2013 10:40
I'm not saying the controller is bad, I'm just saying it's different. BTW, I think you can just plug in a 360 controller. It's a PC after all. Mouse and keyboard is also supported.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 07:27:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 07:27:12