Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia', on IndieDB - developed in Unity 5.

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 17:29 Edited at: 20th Aug 2015 17:21
NOTE: Because of recent changes in member line up and project settings, this thread is no longer valid. Roland left the team (appearantly he wants to do his own thing), and so i'm going to make this game on my own from now on. I have also decided to use Unity 5 again (and NOT Unreal), and also to go back to the roots of what SCOT was in this vid:

This means a Fantastic/mystical adventure/puzzle game with action and magic. Gameplay will be somewhat similar to Tomb Raider games.

You can follow the latest updates and news here in this NEW THREAD. Thanks!

I also changed the name of the game dev company to 'Pix On Screen'.

Hey everyone,

Seventh Crystal Of Theia (SCOT) is an epic adventure/puzzle game with action and a great storyline a la Uncharted/Tomb Raider, developed in Unreal Engine 4 by Roland Strålberg (programming/3D art), Chris Van Wijmeersch (2D/3D artist/project manager/level design), Julian Schuller (music composer) and Martin Dubravický (concept artist).

Seventh Crystal Of Theia on IndieDB

The story:
'Tom Reed, a rebellious archeologist that doesn't mind stealing historical artefacts now and then (as long as the buyer is honest and the price is right), is on his way to Egypt after an emergency call from his parents.

Nearly there, Tom's personnal airplane suddenly starts to malfunction. Even though he's a pretty good pilot, he can not help his plane from crashing. Fortunally, he can eject on time out of the burning aircraft, and safely land on Egyptian soil using his parachute...

Tom needs to find his parents as soon as possible. But in the meantime...he has to survive the vast sandy and hot desert landscape all around him, and any other lurking dangers...a new adventure begins...'

Game Features:

Gameplay:

- First person 3D adventure/puzzle, similar to Tomb Raider and Uncharted type of games.
- Walk, run, jump, climb walls/ladders, wall ledge strafing, gravity, platforming
- Solve easy to challenging puzzles: logic puzzles, realtime physics puzzles, trigger puzzles, etc...
- Enemy fighting: kill savage mutated humans, 'normal' humans and some special characters, using a variety of handweapons or bare-handed combat.
- 'Self-aware' inventory system. Found items will activate/trigger ingame events automatically when player gets within close distance of the appropriate trigger.

Graphics:

- Powered by Unreal Engine 4 technology. A professionnal engine that already has empowered hundreds of AAA games,
- Global Illumination (powered by Enlighten, used in many AAA games),
- Physically Based Shading to achieve ultra-realistic materials,
- High quality textures, detailed models,
- Cool particle effects used for bullet impacts, dust, fog, mist and more,
- Millions of dynamic particles can receive and emit light within a scene.

Sound and Music:

- High quality and atmospheric music composed by our very talented music composer Julian Schuller,
- Unreal Engine 4's audio system allows for high quality immersive audio mixing,
- Realistic sounds used to enhance the gaming experience.

Storyline:

- Fantastical story with sudden plot changes about a middle aged adventureous archeologist that 'accidently' stumbles upon an evil organization wanting to take over the world using ancient magic crystals,
- Ingame cutscenes unveiling bits of the story.

Please, track and support our game on IndieDB, share with all your friends, and comment or give suggestions. We really appreciate it, and all support is welcome. Thanks!

We also had some incredible news a few days ago. Reallusion, a leader in the development of 3D cinematic animation and 2D cartoon softwares for consumers, students and professionals, and creator of iClone, is supporting our game! !

Here are a few screenshots of the game in Unity 5. Soon i'll be adding recent screens of SCOT in Unreal Engine 4! We're also working on getting the first (demo) level done ASAP.

Cheers!

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 18:20
Looks awesome Chris looking forward to playing this one!

Different does not mean not equal: a = b
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 19:17
Much appreciated, Steve!

Don't forget to support us on IndieDB.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 02:50
It looks great, I remember this from a few months back and it looks even better than then.
I still think the story is very weak though.

Formerly OBese87.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 05:21 Edited at: 1st Oct 2013 05:37
Looks fantastic! Especially the weather/ambience feels really vivid and intense.

Best luck with your further development.

Quote: "Fantastical story about a young female sholar sent on a mission to restore peace over the world, by retrieving Seven Magical Crystals. "

Thats really lame and sheds a bad light on the entire project. I mean ...come on! All this great stuff going on here and then this. I'd suggest that next time you have a session on the bathroom you make up a better reason the get these crystals.

Edit: I've taken a look at the full thing on IndieDB and its okay. You can work with it.

Quote: "Thousands of years ago, The Ancient Ones found seven crystals. Four came from Gaia, the goddess of the Earth, representing the four basic elements. One crystal came from Uranus, the god of the sky, representing chaos and the unknown. Another came from Theia, the goddess of purity, representing peace and prosperity. The last crystal came from Chronos, the god of time, representing change, misfortune, and darkness. When the seven crystals were brought together from their sacred places of holding, Chronos was inadvertantly summoned, immediately bringing destruction upon the world and scattering the crystals to the farthest corners of Theia's kingdom. After many years of despair, a young religious schollar named Celly has been chosen to find the crystals and bring an end to Chronos before it is too late."

You could do a thing that the world was in a content state of repetition and stillness until these crystals where scattered by this deity,chronos. Afterwards the people fell out of that trance-like state of eternal tranquility and became more like ...well... us. A bit like an Adam,Eve and the apple thing. Now that chronos reigns, people start to evolve mentally and form their own ideas, things change and therefore some kind of war started but things ultimately evolve to the better (maybe). You could do a thing at the end where the character needs to decide wether returning in that peaceful state of constant sleep is better than to maybe transcend through that time of war and chaos. Wether or not she will be able to close pandoras box again.
This way your story would be less like "bad guy showed up! get the things to get rid of him" and there would be some conflict.

Sorry, I ramble, you really didn't ask my opinion on this and my english is lacking tonight so...just throwing this out there.

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 19:18
Quote: "It looks great, I remember this from a few months back and it looks even better than then.
I still think the story is very weak though."

Thanks, man! Yups, a few months ago, i started a thread about our game, but it has been completely redone in another engine (Unity Pro), and lots has changed/enhanced.
As for the story, i agree that it could be better written. We are not very good at story writing, so to anyone that's interested to write a better one, let us know. We would really appreciate it.

Quote: "Looks fantastic! Especially the weather/ambience feels really vivid and intense.

Best luck with your further development."

Thank you so much, Wolf! The pictures show just a glimps of the great ambience created by the wheather and other environmental effects. An ingame teaser vid will follow asap.

Quote: "Thats really lame and sheds a bad light on the entire project. I mean ...come on! All this great stuff going on here and then this. I'd suggest that next time you have a session on the bathroom you make up a better reason the get these crystals.

Edit: I've taken a look at the full thing on IndieDB and its okay. You can work with it."

The story is not too bad, but could be made better indeed. Are you good at fantasy story writing and willing to make this story better? If so, feel free to alter it, make it better.

We are willing to give away one free copy of the game (when released) to the person that can make the story great!

Thanks!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 20:20
I'll help out with the story too.
I think Greek mythology is overused so I went skimming through some other mythologies. I found quite an interesting one from Africa called Serer, I haven't read much about it yet but there are many deities and there seems to be a link with numbers which might come in useful.

Formerly OBese87.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 01:45
I'd like to help. However, you would have to reinterpretate the story and write the final draft as english is not my native language. I could write you a raw version tough.

Quote: "I found quite an interesting one from Africa called Serer, I haven't read much about it yet but there are many deities and there seems to be a link with numbers which might come in useful."

I would suggest that a reimagining of any mythologie would be beneficial. Grounding fantasy in earth-mythology has always been a little uncreative to me.

Quote: "An ingame teaser vid will follow asap."

I will stand by for this! You really have my attention!

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 17:32 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2013 17:33
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the help!

However, changing the mythologie wouldn't be such a good idea, as it would mean a change of game title, and probably also a change in game settings aswell. We're too far with this game to do such drastical changes.

Roland and i discussed this thoroughly.

We still believe that the storyline could be made better, and we're really glad you guys are willing to help.

Quote: "You could do a thing that the world was in a content state of repetition and stillness until these crystals where scattered by this deity,chronos. Afterwards the people fell out of that trance-like state of eternal tranquility and became more like ...well... us. A bit like an Adam,Eve and the apple thing. Now that chronos reigns, people start to evolve mentally and form their own ideas, things change and therefore some kind of war started but things ultimately evolve to the better (maybe). You could do a thing at the end where the character needs to decide wether returning in that peaceful state of constant sleep is better than to maybe transcend through that time of war and chaos. Wether or not she will be able to close pandoras box again. "

We do like this contribution to the current storyline, giving more sense and depth to the whole story.
Would it be possible for one of you to use the current storyline, and blend it with Wolf's story idea? Thanks!

Other suggestions/ideas using the current storyline are also appreciated of course!

Quote: "I will stand by for this! You really have my attention! "

Good good!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 18:44
Hello everyone!

We've been working really hard on the game lately, and we want to share this information with all of you, so it's time for a new update.

Great gameplay and great graphics should go hand in hand, right? Well, Roland and i think the same way on that topic. That's why we've done plenty of big and small improvements to make this happen, and give the player a really great gaming experience. And, we will continue to do so, making this game as great as possible.

One of those big improvements, is a complete day/night/weather system that can handle any type of weather at any time of day. From hot and sunny, to grey and rainy, to freezing and snowing, even blizzards or heavy rain with thunderstorms, everything is possible now, giving the player a really great experience! Also, the system can handle triggered events at any time of day/night! Evil monsters can sleep during the day, and wake up at night to hunt you down!

Another big amelioration is the system that handles new user profiles, keyboard input (to assign keys to different actions inside the game) and ingame help. Each player can create his own profile and edit/save or delete it. This system also handles current state of game progress (health/stamina values, checkpoints, inventory, etc...) per user. If you forgot which key is assigned to which action, you can bring up the help menu at any time during gameplay. Very handy!

Our main character Celly has also gone through some big changes/upgrades! She has been redesigned completely (new look, improved texturing/rigging) and a combat system has been added to her arsenal to conquer the bad guys! She can now kick and punch, her magic wand can serve as a melee weapon, a magic scepter, and also as a torch or lamp! Very handy for those dark and gloomy moments in the game!

The Frosty spell effect also has a boost. And more cool effects are being worked on. We're also working hard on getting the magic spell system optimized.
Also a big improvement on the visuals using color correction curves. The game now has a very nice dark, mysterious, fantastical, dangerous and magical look, enhancing the game experience.

We've also added the first puzzles/obstacles and are working hard on getting new, original ones in. Some of the puzzles require skill/timing/reaction, while others require you to think. Indiana Jones movies are a great inspiration for some of the puzzles in Seventh Crystal Of Theia. And, platform puzzles.

A game without sound/music would be dull, don't you agree? Therefore, we're working on creating our own sounds and music, making the game even better!
We use FL Studio, Audacity and our own instruments to create or record our own sounds/music.

There were also many more smaller changes/polishments, too many to list actually. But overall, they make the whole game run smoother and ameliorate the gameplay and graphics.

We have a bunch of new screenshots AND a new video showing most of the new progress i've discussed just now. We really hope you'll like it, and hope to hear your thoughts! Also, spread the word (twitter, google+, facebook, etc...), please! We need your help to get the word around, and make this game better and better! Your comments are important! Many many thanks!

Here is a vid, and also a bunch of recently taken screenshots. Enjoy!

Please note: i'm not very used to speak English, so bear with me. Thanks!

Cheers!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 09:14
GFX looking amazing TheSlayer! This project looks so much better each time you share something. Keep up the great work

oct(31) = dec(25)
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 16:00 Edited at: 8th Nov 2013 16:02
Thank you, bax! It's very motivating to hear that our game is getting better all the time!
We're doing everything we possibly can to improve it constantly. Roland is doing an excellent job and is going to work on some new stuff/improvements. I have a few new ideas for puzzles which i'm going to create and model (using 3D Coat), plus there are a few other things that i'll be looking into.
Also, i'm really happy about your latest toy!
Maybe we should work together? We could use another great programmer/developer! Interested? ?

Cheers!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 17:10
I hope this game is quite tongue in cheek because I'm getting a kind of Discworld vibe from it. There are too many "serious" games these days, which just end up being like a 12-year-old's perspective on mature themes.

Formerly OBese87.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 06:56
most "serious" games are targeted at 15-23 or so and so a 12 year old's perspective fits most of the audience

a truly mature game (not just a rated M for mature) would probably be boring to the larger gamer population, and therefore not commercially viable for a professional studio with the creative writing experience to produce a solid and polished story.

It seems to me that many small indie teams are fully capable of producing the code and art, but often lack the professional level of writing to pull off mature themes properly.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 13:34
Thanks for the suggestions/comments, guys!

We have no intention to turn this game into a serious game. The story is pure fictional and fantastical, not meant to be taken serious. The personages in the story are not invented, but that's probably the only thing that is not fictional (storywise). Our main focus is to create a game that is fun to play and looks great.
We also intend to add humor to the game.

Regarding the age, we intend to go for 'Teen', which is 13+.
Definition for game rate 'Teen': 'Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.'

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 20:19
Quote: "Maybe we should work together? We could use another great programmer/developer! Interested? ?"

Definitely email me...

oct(31) = dec(25)
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 14:19
Quote: "Definitely email me..."

Awesome! Email sent!

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 02:34
@The Slayer

good work

any chance of Posting a Demo ?

this looks like it could compete the other games ;o)

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 20:45
I'd just like to say that IndieDB is running a Indie of the Year contest, people should vote this game up.

Link for voting.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 21:06
@budokaiman

dun ;o)

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 16:37
@Resourceful

Thank you sooooooo much! Me and Roland really appreciate such good comments.

We've been working really hard to get this far and improve the game more and more. We also reached a point where we realize that we are understaffed to develop 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia' the way we wanted it to become initially, in a short amount of time. So, we decided to alter the gameplay completely, and go for a sidescroller/platformer type of game (something similar to Trine and Trine 2), but with our own game features added, of course.
We have no demo yet, but if things progress as they do now, i expect to have one before the end of this year.

@budokaiman

Thanks a bunch, mate! What a nice surprise! !!
We can use all the votes we can get, so please, tell teh word around and vote, vote, vote. Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks!

A few images showing latest progress:

Cheers!

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 18:07
@The Slayer

am I reading correctly ?

"sidescroller/platformer"

this dose not look like a game that should be such

would people have been happy that "Tomb Raider" be such
or "Duke nuke 3d" be a side scrolled or the new version which was
crap when it came to the game saving ware it wanted to

I know making any program game's especially
when it comes to adding in the effects
deciding how the level should be

I played one game a long time ago
it was 3d but the camera angle's pretty much made it a 2d
side scroller which made it so hard to play

I finally fished the game but it was more than 3 months
of fighting with the badly set up camera angles

I'm interested in knowing
what is limiting you & Roland get it ware it needs to be ?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 18:50
Quote: "@The Slayer

am I reading correctly ?

"sidescroller/platformer""

Yups, you read correctly.

Quote: "this dose not look like a game that should be such"

Quote: "I'm interested in knowing
what is limiting you & Roland get it ware it needs to be ?"

You're right, the initial idea was a 3D adventure/puzzle game, similar to games such as Tomb Raider and such. But, as mentioned, we are only a two man team (Roland does most of the programming, and i do the art), and we both work during the day (i do nightshifts ), which makes it really hard to accomplish our initial goal in a short time. I mean, we have been working on this game for one year already (we had some setbacks, like we had to change the engine) and it's not progressing as we had hoped for.
The story of the game also fits a sidescroller/platformer type of game, similar to Trine.
Time is always a limit within small indie teams, i think.

Cheers

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 21:02 Edited at: 4th Dec 2013 21:03
ya only two people
working on two peaces will take up a lot of time

at least the game looks like it's using DX10 and DX11 ;O)

some one is making a "Total Recall Online Game"
http://www.totalrecallonlinegame.com/uncovertheconspiracy

but the graphics are dx-8 looking

I've herd of 1 game that took up to 5 years to complete

one of the "final fantasy" games
had 1000 people working on it

what did you be-leave was time frame ?

rstralberg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2013 23:16 Edited at: 6th Dec 2013 14:49
Hi all.

I'm the other guy that makes this game together with The Slayer.
Just wanted to express some points of why we are moving over to a
sidescroller view.

Neither me or Slayer has done any 3D game before and did a beginner mistake by underestimating the amount of work to get a complete 3D game done. Let's just say that the devil is in the details.

Now you have to understand we are only two people with full time work. This means that we do this in the few hours we are free at evenings. If we had this as a full time thing there would be no problem with time.

We also have to learn things while we doing this. This takes ton's of time. So after have been working with this for a good amount of time now we can see that we have underestimated many things. We can do all that we planned but it takes so much more time than planned.

So. We had to stop a make a decision. Either continue on the complete 3D version and have a release in a future time which will be so far away that a risk exists that it will never reach the end, or simplify some things and get all done with a more suitable costume for 2 people with a couple of hours/day.

It was kind of hard decision to limit the game to sidescrolling view but we felt that it was needed. The amount of models and other technical things is far less complex and time consuming in a sideview scroller compare to a full fledged 3D environment.

We will not change the story or the general look of the game. The difference is just that its now a 3D sidescroller (not 2D). We are both happy with this decision and still think that the result will be a interesting experience both for us and you.

Cheers
Roland
rstralberg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 10:40
Hi all

I'm the other part of the team of the SCOT game and just want to give my view on the switch from a full fledged 3D game to a Side View Scroller game.

I and 'the slayer' has never done any complete 3D game and started fresh with this. Both of us has been (as many of us) playing around
with different engines and small projects and samples. This game is
the first serious game we are making. We made a plan for the game which as you have seen is a full fledged 3D game in third person view with all modern jingles and bells. As none of us had any experience of making such a game we had to guess what amount work and time it would take to get a first release out. We made a rough estimation of 2-3 years. Here I also must mention that we are both working full time to earn our living, which means that the development time is limited to a couple of hours each evening.

Things has progressed as planned but at a much slower speed than expected. The main reason at first was learn to handle all tools involved. This part took much more time than expected as some of them had to be left because they did not suit our needs or was more or less not usable for the task. Other tools has been very good but have taken more time to learn than expected. After have found a pipeline that suited us and our needs things was going quite nice and at an acceptable speed. A quite nice environment was set up with a look that we had planned (you have seen the screenshots). Our main character was also moving around, running, jumping and all that stuff. Menus and HUD was working. Now after almost two years of fighting and solving different problems the basics was in place and working.

Next phase was to fill this world with houses, stones, trees, vegetation, bridges, and all that stuff that makes up a scenario. After have been setting up the first part of the game with this, we realized that the amount of work involved to make all the models and other things for a complete 3D environment is tremendous. As all
things must look good from all angles they have to be created for that. Every inch of the terrain had to be looking good, covered with grass, stones, bushes etc etc. We know we can make that happen but we also by now know that it would take years to do with our quite limited time to do it. If we was working with this full time it would be a quite different case.

So we had to stop and think a bit more. Should we continue on this full 3D path or make some change that would bring down the amount of work a bit. To continue with the full 3D project we would have to engage more people and that takes both time and efforts. A two
man team does not need more that a Skype connection to communicate and the amount of work to define things is quite small. A bigger team gives more resources yes, but also brings quite a big overhead and planning. As we both are developers with fairly no interest in
acting as team-leaders and team-planners this did not look as an exciting alternative.

To make a long story short. We decided to make a change to a side view scroller game as this brings down the work quite a bit. Most models don't need a 'backside' and can be simplified because of that. Distant models can in fact be very simple. We dont need to place grass, bushes, stones and trees all over the place. The animations can be made simpler as we don't have to bother about sideway movements. The coding also can be made simpler as we are moving in a straightforward path instead of freely moving around in a 3D environment. The list of things that can be made simpler but still looking good can be long. But without going into further details I think you get what I mean.

It our belief that this is a good decision and it will give us more time for creating actual game play instead of spending almost all time on populating a full 3D landscape with assets.

The game story will not change, nor will the general look of the game. The only difference is the perspective going from full 3D to sideways 3D and that the player moves along a path instead of freely wandering around. In fact we hope that this will give us more time for adding spectacular effects and surprises. I think the game still will give the player a pleasant experience.

Thanks for reading this long essay
Roland
rstralberg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 12:58
Hmm .. sorry for the double post. As it was my first post I didn't notice that it had to be validate before showing up. So I wrote a second one about the same thing.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2013 23:39
You guys seem to be making great progress - the game is looking really good!

Quote: "We decided to make a change to a side view scroller game"

I look forward to seeing this progress. The Slayer has been treating/teasing me with screen shots over the past year and I'm used to seeing the 3rd Person view.

Keep us updated and keep up the great work!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 14:26
Thanks, Hodgey! We really appreciate it!

Quote: "I look forward to seeing this progress. The Slayer has been treating/teasing me with screen shots over the past year and I'm used to seeing the 3rd Person view.

Keep us updated and keep up the great work! "

Heheh, we'll be teasing you even more in the future.
It's still a 3D environment, but gameplay is 2D.
Currently, we've been doing some great progress regarding gameplay. We now have a screen pick system integrated that allows for moving objects in the scene using the mouse cursor. Also, pushing objects is now added, and Roland is looking into exploding meshes for some really cool interaction/effects.
Stay tuned for more...!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 16:07 Edited at: 4th Feb 2014 16:10
Hello guys!

We're back with a BIG and important update, so...read on!

After we decided to change the gameplay for 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia' (SCOT) into a platformer (instead of an adventure/puzzle game), we had some negative comments about that. Not all was 'bad', though. But, it made us realize that our original gameplay idea was much better.

Actually, we don't even think it was 'bad' commentary, because deep in ourselves, we ALSO felt like the initial gameplay idea we had was what we wanted in the first place.

So, we had a long discussion (actually, it was only a couple of minutes ), and we decided to bring back the adventure/puzzle gameplay!

However, we also changed the storyline (most part of it), made it better, and added more depth, intrigue and interest.

Here's how the game begins (the story):

'Celly, a young European woman, adventureous and a martial arts teacher...flies off to her parents...who live in South America...but, she never arrives at her folks' place...her plane crashes...in the jungle...by accident, she thinks...
She gets attacked by mutated humans, and finds evidence of an evil organization, planning to take over the world, using some ancient magic crystals, scattered all over the globe...
But, what's really frustrating Celly, is the fact that the evil organization uses the same mark as the tattoo on her shoulder...'

To fit the story, we also had to change the worlds. And, so i started creating the new world, and it turned out muuuuuch better than i had imagined. The new environment, the whole setting, the atmosphere, it all fits! I'm very pleased with the results!

Last night, i was checking our game on IndieDB, and i couldn't believe my eyes! Our game was on 8th place!!
So, thanks a llloooooooot to all who visited and support SCOT on IndieDB!!!

Here are a few new screens for you to enjoy!

You can find much more information on the top page, or also on Seventh Crystal Of Theia on IndieDB.

Cheers!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 05:15
Just bumping this thread to say we'll have a new update soon! We're going for AAA graphics/gameplay now, so keep an eye on this thread, guys 'n girls!

The wait will be worth it, i promise!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 21:18
Can't wait
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 21:43
I have to say- you guys have done a great job so far. I brought my wife to this thread and she really enjoyed the screenshots and video on your IndieDB page. These type of games really appeal to her, and we have a daughter that is a budding artist. I decided to show her (our daughter) your work and it has now inspired her to pursue her artistic abilities further. So you can take pride knowing that you've captivated some female audience.

We'll be directing our contacts to your IndieDB link. Keep up the great work.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
rstralberg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 14:34
Thank's BlackFox for your nice comments. I'm very happy to know that our female touch has been to some inspiration. We try to make a game with a female character without that silly and childish sex-appeal that's so common in many games as we believe that a woman is as capable in all ways that a man is.

Cheers
Roland
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 16:23
Quote: "Can't wait "

Just a bit longer though, bax.
All i can say is, that what we currently have, is much much better than our last update.

Quote: "I have to say- you guys have done a great job so far. I brought my wife to this thread and she really enjoyed the screenshots and video on your IndieDB page. These type of games really appeal to her, and we have a daughter that is a budding artist. I decided to show her (our daughter) your work and it has now inspired her to pursue her artistic abilities further. So you can take pride knowing that you've captivated some female audience.

We'll be directing our contacts to your IndieDB link. Keep up the great work."

Woooooow, lovely comments, BlackFox! A big 'thank you' from me and Roland to you and your family! It's good to know that we have female fans!
And, we're very happy that our game inspired your daughter to persue her artistic talents. As an artist myself, i feel proud to know that others get inspired by my work to become artists! So yeah, that comment really made my day!

And, thanks a lot for the support!

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 04:05
You guys are doing an amazing job. I cant wait for the update.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 19:24
Quote: "You guys are doing an amazing job. I cant wait for the update."

Thank you, NIlooc223! Sorry for the late reply, btw.

Well, we're finally back with a new update, and my word...it IS a big improvement on what you've seen before! So, read on, i'd say!

As the summary says 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia is an EPIC adventure/puzzle game...', we thought...why not REALLY make it epic and adventureous? Why not really make the game a wonderfull game experience and create atmospheric and fascinating environments for the player to explore and discover? Right?

Well, good news, we are going to add all those ingredients into SCOT (Seventh Crystal Of Theia), and even more!

As a start, we have improved the overall quality of the vegetation and environment, thus increasing the realism and visual aspect of the game. As you walk inside this first level (a jungle), you really feel as if you're inside a jungle environment, which is how it's supposed to be.

This graphical amelioration is not only for the vegetation/environment, but for ALL models or art we're adding in!

Roland has also done an excellent job to make the gameplay much better. As a result, we now have a solid working character controller with cool features. The character controller acts/feels really great, and so does the camera.

The camera changes from a third person mode (this is the default) to a first person view (shoot mode).
Further more, we now have a couple of cool guns (a Colt, and a machine gun). The Colt is still being worked on (that's why you don't see it in the screenshots).

Both weapons have really sweet and impressive bullet impact fx, and i added great looking explosion effects on explodeable barrels! Really cool stuff!

The particle effects (at least, some of them) react physically on impact with their surroundings.

As some of you may know (or not), Unity 5 is coming, and we're very pleased to tell you that we're going to use it for SCOT! Our game now already looks amazing, and upgrading to Unity 5 can only improve on the overall quality! Global illumination, physically based shaders, and much more...

And, another cool thing to mention...i am using Substance Designer/Painter now to texture the models/props for our game, and it shows! I used Substance Designer to texture the machine gun.
The good thing about this is, firstly...it looks really really good, and secondly...substances can be used to create all kinds of ingame effects! As an example, we can now have textures change in realtime (more/less dirt on cloths/weapons/characters, animated water, burned stains on objects after an explosion, etc...)!

Soon, we will record a new vid showing all these great features, but for now, you'll have to settle with a bunch of recent screenshots.

Pretty cool explosion effect after shooting an explodeable barrel:

Bullet impact effects vary depending on what material the object is made of:

Cheers!

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 22:59
love the progress guys, keep it up!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 17:26 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2014 17:27
Quote: "love the progress guys, keep it up!"

We will do our very best, Ortu!
Thank you so much for the comment!

Just had an email from the guy who did the music for this Crysis 3 trailer:

He's very interested in composing/making music for our game 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia'!

We don't expect to have the budget to pay for his services (we don't even have a clue yet on how much he's asking ), but i will contact him and ask.

So, we'll see how that turns out. Hopefully, we can arrange something. It would add soooo much to the game experience to have this kinda quality in our game.

Fingers crossed!

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 02:49
That is excellent news. Hopefully on my next return from Venus there is even more good news.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 15:53
Quote: "That is excellent news. Hopefully on my next return from Venus there is even more good news."

Hmm, that depends...how long will your stay on Venus be?
If possible, don't stay too long, because we need you over here. Metalland is depending on you! Be back sooooooon!

Thanks for the comment, btw!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2014 06:51
Sorry for the double post...just want to keep this thread alive. Will update soon. We have some very important information and things to share. !!

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 13:29
tagging in to get updates on what looks to be a good Indie game - can't wait to see all of your improvements in an updated video.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 18:44
Hey mr_d! Long time no see! How are you doing, bro? Thanks for the comment!

Haven't updated this thread (or on IndieDB) in a long time, due to some changes and other things that can happen while developing a game.
This game IS a big project, and we're only three members (yes, we have a new member, a very talented Music Composer! ), and we have been searching for new members (one programmer, and one 3D artist/animator) lately to facilitate the game development process.

We had like six or seven candidates (all very interested, at least that's what they said initially), but after a couple of days, most of them started to become very, very quiet. Like bricks, or stones. -S
I honestly don't get it. The very least anyone could do (if they're not interested anymore), is just say it, right? But...oh no, they didn't even bother. Really frustrating, i can tell you.
Even when i contacted them, they just kept quiet.

Anyways, we're not going to quit developing this game because of it. If they're not interested, so be it. We have been doing fine so far, and we'll continue doing so.

I know from experience that making a game (and finish it) requires a lot of determination and will to succeed, even when things get rough sometimes. If you really want something, then you can find the strenght to get it.

Will update soon with the new changes and improvements on our game. Oh, and i recently bought zbrush! Really great program!

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2014 16:28 Edited at: 24th Aug 2014 16:31
Hello guys!

To start off, we want to apologize for the lack of regular updates. It has been quite some time since the last news, but we're back with plenty of things we'd like you to know.

We wanted to update sooner, but some things were not confirmed yet, or could change, so we decided to wait untill we were absolutely sure.

For one, we had been searching for new team members to join our team and make the game even better and bigger than before, while also speed up the development time, but unfortunaly, that turned out a disaster. As i mentioned in my previous post, we had a bunch of so called 'interested' people, but soon we found out that it was fake.

Fortunally, we did find a new (and very talented) member, named Julian Schuller. He's a natural talented Music Composer, and a good friend! From Roland and myself: welcome once more in our team, Julian!
Julian has been doing music for other games aswell, and he does an excellent job at it!

For those interested: we still need new members, one intermediate/good C# or Javascript programmer (Unity), and a good/talented 3D modeler/animator. Or, one that knows both programming and 3D modeling. If you're interested, send me a personnal message. Please note: ONLY SERIOUS candidates will get accepted!
One more thing to note: candidates should have a licensed UNITY PRO version, and also the necessary (licensed) tools to do whatever you're skilled at.

Just send me an email or drop a message here on the forums if you are interested to become a member. Please note, if you send an email, add 'SCOT - New Member' to the topic of your mail. Thanks!

Back to the game now.

After quite some frustration and 'problems', we decided to get rid of these 'problems' once and for all, and go for a complete first person view/gameplay for our game. No panic, we don't intend to turn this game into a first person shooter. The only thing that really changes, is the camera view. Instead of having a third person view, all is done in first person mode.

It really facilitates the entire development process, especially since we're a small team, and this game is not a small project.

Roland has been doing a great job so far, for which i want to thank him. We have been working a long time on this game already, and i know how frustrating things can get at times, but we're not quitters.

I'm working on character models and animations for them, plus cutscenes and more art. Our plan is to have an intro/trailer vid soon for you all.

We already have lots of cool (and working) things in our game:
- A complete weapon system, which includes weapon switching (mousewheel), bullet impacts, arm/weapon animations, ejecting bullet shells, muzzleflash, (automatic) ammunition reloading, sounds for impact/shooting/reloading, zoom in/out, weapon inventory, and more...
- Player damage handling, walk/run/jump/crouch/climb -functionnality, health and weapon pickup system, exploding items (and all the necessary fx that go with it), level interaction (open doors, activate items for puzzles, etc...)
- Compass system for next waypoint. Gameplay is half linear, half free roam. This means that the player can roam around freely in some areas, but in order to follow the story, he/she must follow the waypoints.
- Better visuals and cool things to discover during the exploration of the levels.

Next up will be A.I. and more cutscene creation, aswell as recording ingame trailers. Julian already got some great ideas for music, and we really look forward to hear what his talented mind and hands put together.

And finally, we also have an idea for SCOT, but WE NEED YOU to accomplish that idea!

We want YOUR puzzle idea(s) in our game! Spew your cool puzzle ideas here, and get it implemented in the game, plus your name in the credits and a FREE COPY of 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia' when the game is released!!

BE QUICK, though. The seats are limited. We will pick 10 (or more, depending on how good the puzzle idea is) puzzle ideas, and announce the winners here, and on IndieDB!

A couple of rules to follow, though :
- Puzzles must be doable in first person game mode.
- Puzzles must fit the environment (Middle Eastern desert), and the storyline.
- Puzzles can be interactive puzzles, mini-game puzzles, inventory puzzles, pattern puzzles.
- Make sure we can contact you: email address, full name.

Anyways, good luck to you, and we really can't wait to see some of the ideas you can come up with.

Remember, please comment, share with your friends, and DOWNLOAD the WALLPAPER i uploaded on IndieDB HERE. Thank you!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 02:48
Anyone??

No comments or suggestions at all? No ideas for a puzzle?

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 02:58
it looks impressive

I like what you have dun ;o)

i look foreword to seeing more

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 04:52
This looks really good! Only, are the screenshots really that yucky and banded or is it Chrome? Been a while since I've seen good stuff made with Unity on these forums

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 05:51
Much appreciated, Resourceful! You'll be seeing lots more soon. Working on enemy A.I. and animations now.

Quote: "This looks really good! Only, are the screenshots really that yucky and banded or is it Chrome?"

Thank you so much, Clonkex! Not sure what you mean by 'yucky and banded', though (i'm pretty good at understanding English, but some words or phrases are still a mystery to me ). Do you mean the blurry horizontal lensflare effect? If so, yeah i agree...i fixed that already.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:00:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:00:17