Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 15:56
Lol yes I have been planning the next tunnel set, and at that number 9 already, tunnels 8 can be have here

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208206&b=24

The question however is what should be number 9 ? I will leave that up for debate.

Tunnels 8 was rather large so I want to go small this time not higher than 1.5 segments and not wider than 2 segments on the straights, and the open areas not wider than 5 segments and taller than 2 segments.

My suggestion is the grungy look of the boderlands slaughter house, epic twists and turns maze that opens up into larger albeit still cramp areas with lots and lots of metal beams fence and stairs a whole bunch of them different heights and as you go deeper some cave segments, sticking out to make up a nice scene.

Do you have any suggestions ?Let me hear them, if they are good enough I might make them and give you a free copy for of the final pack for your efforts to post here.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 16:24
Allow me to act in ugly, selfish selfinterest.

I could use some fantasy/steampunk tunnel systems.

Here are some thingies to illustrate what I mean:

Gnomon corridor pack on dexsoft.

Skyrim Dwemer Corridor

Quote: "My suggestion is the grungy look of the boderlands slaughter house, epic twists and turns maze that opens up into larger albeit still cramp areas with lots and lots of metal beams fence and stairs a whole bunch of them different heights and as you go deeper some cave segments, sticking out to make up a nice scene."

Thats a good idea too, by the way

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 17:11
Like the Gnomon Corridors :p

Steampunk, requires a bit larger tunnels.However could always add a "bit" of steampunk to whatever I do..:p
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 20:35 Edited at: 14th Oct 2013 20:35
How about something like subway tunnels, opening out into larger, unfinished areas, as seen in a few movies over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Subway

http://www.seeing-stars.com/locations/Speed7.shtml

I'm aware that it would probably require larger segments, but just thought I'd throw the idea out there anyway

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 17:22 Edited at: 16th Oct 2013 17:23
Quote: "subway tunnels"

Lafette released a big subway segment pack only recently and wizard of Id's tunnels are subway'esque already anyway.

What I'd concider to be interesting aswell would be simple fantasy dungeons.

Oblivion had some pretty neat lowpoly ones. Take a look here.

-Wolf

Quote: "However could always add a "bit" of steampunk to whatever I do..:p "

That'd be great for me! But I understand that you want to reach a larger targetaudience

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 20:51
Quote: "Lafette released a big subway segment pack only recently and wizard of Id's tunnels are subway'esque already anyway."

I was thinking more specifically of subway tunnels opening out into unfinished areas, as seen in some movies.

In the meantime, I'll check out those tunnels by Lafette, and see if there's anyway I can use other segments to achieve the unfinished areas, as I've had a few ideas for some sequels and a spin-off for Seclusion...

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 14:50
Quote: "big subway segment pack"
Can be done but honestly, want to move away from every day life a bit, so scifish design, there is not a lot of that around here. I have done the mars thing, done the sewer pack, done the WWII tunnels, done another mars type tunnels set and I done the cave tunnels...

So honestly some thing totally radical is needed, ice tunnels came to mind, but meh not really suited unless you have a reflective and transparent shader to use.

Tunnels based on wood only bit risky, having wood all over the place.

I think a metal only tunnel would be worth doing.

I have been thinking about expanding on the sewers as well, they were nice and all but a little too generic for my liking.

A south American styled tunnels
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 22:59
Different ehh... OK - Tunnel inside a creature, showing ribs, skin etc. Or tentacle or H R Giger style tunnel.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 04:39
mhmh eh good one
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 22:03
I here by proudly announce the next pack.

Tunnels 9: Sewers revisited
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 15:27
I can see you've obviously made your mind up on the theme already WOI, but for what it's worth, I would like to suggest some very high-end and sophisticated styled architecture/work.
Most of what I've seen of this fits either a grunge or industrial theme in my opinion, I'd love to see what you could come up with for some high quality, clean, sharp and tidy tunnels full of that WOI goodness we all love
Some examples for what I mean

Either way, looking forward to see what you come up with!

Namnlosen
Years of Service
User Offline
The second and third pictures certainly would fill gap in the market: owing to the enormous influence of the Aliens franchise, the "dirty future" aesthetic has become almost the default science fiction setting in gaming, in spite of the frequent use of the "clean future" aesthetic by the equally influential Star Trek and Star Wars franchises.
Examples from these would be the interior of the Enterprise, the interior of the blockade runner at the start of the original Star Wars film, and the cloning facility in the second Star Wars prequel film.
Bright, clean surfaces, glowing light panels, lots of glass, high ceilings, wide corridors and large rooms would be a very welcome addition to the general indie developer asset library.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 20:29
Well then take a vote :p

Either the sewers or Bejasc3D suggestion.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 20:43 Edited at: 21st Oct 2013 20:44
Ok, I'll kick it off..

I vote for Bejasc3D's idea, so tunnel pack 10 can be sewers revisited instead - seriously, I like the scifi look, but whatever you want.

Bringing you games since 1981!
Namnlosen
Years of Service
User Offline
I would agree with Scene Commander: clean sci-fi for 9, and sewers for 10.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 13:23
"Clean" scifi it is then. Lets call it Tunnels 9: "alien core"
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 16:28
Quote: "Tunnels 9: "alien core" "

I like the sound of that. Has a slight sinister feeling with suspense.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2013 02:56
Bejasc3D's idea for sure

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 19:35
So playing around with some ideas posted in the thread.This is just to get some idea, actually started watching old shows like startrek and stargate.....decided on the Andromeda series, stargate ship hull design to work with :p

in particular just relying on wall details to obtain depth...

[img] http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/9/8387/GuesstheshipV2.jpg[/img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:46:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:46:31