Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Question about networking with AGK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm entirely new to game development on mobile devices (and game development in general), and AppGameKit seems like a really nice framework play around with.

I'm thinking about using AppGameKit for personal projects, and I'd eventually like to implement my own AppGameKit server (not right now, obviously, since I have no idea what I'm doing). I've looked around and found some awesome posts that describe the communication protocol between the client and the host for networking features in AppGameKit, and as far as I can tell, it seems like it'd be feasible.

My one question is that I'm wondering if it is at all possible to use SSL for the underlaying TCP connection for a tier 1 client connecting to an AppGameKit host. I was able to find some documentation that shows it's possible to send HTTPS requests, but unfortunately couldn't find any information that would tell me whether it's possible to establish a secure connection for multiplayer data exchange. As far as I understand, all client/host communication is done through TCP except for broadcasting, which sends UDP packets. So I guess I'd like to know if there's any way to get the TCP connection to use SSL?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 10:56
I'm not sure about https, but I have simply encrypted my own data when doing things like this, and decrypted it at the other end. There is a SHA1 encryption command in AGK.

In this case you'd probably use it only for preventing false submission of data, rather than encrypting the data itself. Data encryption would be a second layer.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 01:04
Yes, you can use https:

SetHTTPHost( iHTTP, szHost, iSecure )
SetHTTPHost( iHTTP, szHost, iSecure, szUser, szPass )

formerly MissJoJo - Audacia Games
26chairs
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I see that it's possible to sent a HTTPS request; I was wondering if it's possible to use SSL with the multiplayer framework that comes with Tier 1 though.

I'm really not too knowledgeable about encryption in general, and I'm not sure if there would be a way to encrypt data in a way that would be safe enough to send account information/passwords/etc through a connection established with the multiplayer support available in tier 1. I just wouldn't want to send unencrypted data, or data encrypted through a process that can easily be cracked, which is why I was hoping I'd hear that there's SSL support there as well...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 04:20:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 04:20:25