Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBP] Map Editor - Open source

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 12:04 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 12:13
Map Editor
Current version: 0.0.6
Requires Matrix1Util_18.dll (Matrix1Utils Require msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll)

Download here

When I started to work with Dark Basic, I decided that a simple, visual editor is necessary. There is a plenty out there, but I began writing my own. I want to make it suitable for modular level design.

This is a small and simple program, but it is open source. You can download it, critisize, make suggestions or use as a part of your own project (dont't forget to mention me).

Features:
-Create a low resolution terrain (a plane made of quads)
-Move individual tiles or individual vertices up and down
-Flatten the surface
-Save and load your map

Not that much. You can't select terrain texture or terrain size yet (these parameters can be changed through code).

The map is saved in a height.map file. If you save a new map, you overwrite the old one. You can use load routine later in your game to load terrain back painlessly. Don't forget to setup an identical array in your game first.

I plan to store map data in several files. Yet I have only one to store vertice heights.

What is planned:
- Bigger brushes with size selection (easy to implement)
- Drawing and erasing water (currently working on it)
- Placing and deleting obects (won't be hard)
- Texture selection (easy)
- Texture paint (Don't know how to implement it yet)[b]
- Visual interface (last thing I plan to do)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Maxxim
Years of Service
User Offline
Screenshot

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kingius Returns
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 14:19
Looks good to me. I'm not building an outdoor game but if I was this would make an excellent starting point.
Maxxim
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, though it's not only outdoors, but limited to topdown view games. I am also thinking about adding some floor and wall drawing tools. Can't figure out how to resize a rectangle plane at the same time snapping it to grid. I'll post the code later, maybe somebody will help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:47:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:47:57