Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Wii U development?

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2013 21:26
Anyone done any development for Wii U? I'm wondering if Tier 2 might work as I've just had a call from Nintendo that my Dev Kit is available ( plus a Unity 3D Pro license ), I'd quite like to try AppGameKit on the Wii U but I realise it would have to be T2 development if it works at all...

oct(31) = dec(25)
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2013 23:34
Is Wii U Android based?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 00:06
Wii U uses Java, so I don't see why it wouldn't. Guess you'll be the first to test it Mr. baxslash.

Inmortalis Nox
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
That's cool! What is the Dev Kit for Nintendo--do they send you a Wii U? What's the cost to become a developer with them? (Sorry I've not researched it at all).
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 08:28
Sorry if I'm missing something but how could AppGameKit T2 work on the Wii U? I mean, the Wii U runs on a PowerPC processor, right, so I'd have thought that at the very least you would have to recompile the AppGameKit libraries under the Wii U's C++ compiler. And AFAIK, we only have AppGameKit libraries for Intel and ARM architectures right now. What platform's libraries were you thinking of trying to use on it? Anyhow good luck with getting it going; I've got a Wii U and am hoping for more good games for it soon!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 10:36
Quote: "Wii U uses Java, so I don't see why it wouldn't. Guess you'll be the first to test it Mr. baxslash."

That would be cool, on further looking into the details though a couple of minor disappointments.

1-Unity is a Wii U specific version which only works for Wii U development
2-The Dev Kit is subject to import tax and I would have to send it back or pay for it if I wanted to continue development for Nintendo
3-The developer forums are nearly dead. Not much going on over there...

Quote: "That's cool! What is the Dev Kit for Nintendo--do they send you a Wii U? What's the cost to become a developer with them? (Sorry I've not researched it at all)."

The Dev Kit is a working Wii U that looks a bit like a desktop pc. It's really easy to apply here but use Firefox, IE and Chrome seem to struggle with their site.

Quote: "Sorry if I'm missing something but how could AppGameKit T2 work on the Wii U? I mean, the Wii U runs on a PowerPC processor, right, so I'd have thought that at the very least you would have to recompile the AppGameKit libraries under the Wii U's C++ compiler."

I didn't know it ran on a PowerPC processor, that's probably going to be a problem. Recompiling using their compiler might not be so hard but the hardware might not be compatible by the look of things.

That's why I asked here swift response!

I'll see whether I can afford the import / shipping costs first. Redundancy looms again so probably not...

oct(31) = dec(25)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 21:29
One plus is that the license works for the public pro version of Unity too not just the Wii-U version just tried it and it seems to work fine. I guess it's a question of whether they let you keep the license if you stop developing for Wii-U...

I'm still looking at the practicalities of getting the dev kit 'free' for 6 months on 'trial'...

oct(31) = dec(25)
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 22:40
People actually use the Wii U? I was under the impression that it was Nintendo's least popular console.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 22:44
I have no idea, I just wanted to try out some Unity Pro features. I figured it might be worth trying to compile some AppGameKit on the dev kit too but not sure I fancy paying to import it

If Unity development can compliment my current AppGameKit projects or AppGameKit is likely to compile and run on Wii-U I might try taking it further but not yet...

oct(31) = dec(25)
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 23:43
Quote: "People actually use the Wii U? I was under the impression that it was Nintendo's least popular console."

Haha! Yeah the sales have been pretty terrible for Nintendo but those of us who bought them certainly do try and use them!

Sometimes it's worth trying to develop for these less popular platforms because although the user base is small, the apps:user ratio is still much lower because so few developers develop for them. I certainly found that with the Blackberry Playbook, which has consistently given me better download figures than AppUp and Google Play despite being a poor seller.

Anyhow hope you can get something running on the Wii U Baxslash.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 21:30
Wii U has broken into the indie scene though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 04:40:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 04:40:13