Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / New Fantasy/Sci-Fi terrain screeenshots taster.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 09:43 Edited at: 29th Oct 2013 09:49
I just wanted to show a couple of screenshots of a new Terrain pack for sale, I am in the process of wrapping this up

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Amazing as always!

Bringing you games since 1981!
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 17:43
It still amazes me how you get these great screen shots.
Beautiful work as always
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 20:31
Great looking stuff Rolfy.

I love your take on futuristic SciFi. Most people (me included) usually go for the safe, corridors, metal, lab style scifi, but, yours is so artistic and so fresh.

Keep up the good work my man!

Jay.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work rolfy emailed you a few times.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 01:16
You got me hooked...you just have to wheel me in now.

Great stuff! Just how exactly do you do these organic-looking models? Sculpting?

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 07:44
Was curious about that myself too ^

(Teabone)
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 21:29
More awesome terrain! Thanks rolfy.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just how exactly do you do these organic-looking models?"
Basic modeling? Extrusion, boolean, modifiers etc, ya know, all the tools in the modeling software. I guess it's more about coming up with ideas than anything else, making it is the easy part

Just dropped this stuff into Reloaded, works fine, so I will make these Reloaded ready as well as classic
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 07:24
good to hear you found your way in reload. would not be the same without your amazing work.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 00:07 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2013 04:40
In Reloaded, shader ready

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 06:06 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2013 06:07
Quote: " Extrusion, boolean, modifiers etc, ya know, all the tools in the modeling software."

Sorcery!! Altough I got an idea of what these tools are I don't have any of them in my software Makes organic stuff a whole lot more troubeling than I anticipated.

Anyway! Gorgeous stuff!

-Wolf

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 17:42 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2013 23:43
Love these Bro. I'm still waiting for my reloaded to be processed. Chances are I'll get it tomorrow. Also have you had a chance to try any of your old stuff in reloaded?

Wolf: Give Sculptris a try. It's free, and has mesh reduction to produce low poly meshes.

Back from the Wasteland.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 04:26
Quote: " Give Sculptris a try. It's free, and has mesh reduction to produce low poly meshes."

Thanks for the tipp! I have it installed but I've never grew warm with it but now that we can make bigger outdoor levels in reloaded. I might give it another go

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 16:30
Quote: "organic stuff a whole lot more troubeling than I anticipated."

Easy to make, make very low poly models, then apply smoothing, or sub dividing, cant remember which, download wings3d, its free, make a shape, cut square holes in it etc, apply smoothing, sub divide, whatever it is, and it makes a smooth (higher poly) 'rounded version'. Very very easy to do. You can make hundreds of models just like the above no trouble at all with the above technique, go and try it, you'll thank me later.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 17:03 Edited at: 5th Nov 2013 01:18
Quote: " Very very easy to do. You can make hundreds of models just like the above no trouble at all with the above technique, go and try it, you'll thank me later."

Yeah,you go and try it first before commenting, sounds like you got it down.Your only seeing a 2d view in screenshots here, these are not just a flat shape with holes cut in them....If they are that easy to make then feel free to knock 'em out yourself

I look forward to seeing hundreds of your easy to make models. Kind of rich coming from a guy who had to ask around here how to map a cube. Or did your hired modeler give you this priceless information?

It may seem I am a bit harsh but you have a real tendency to jump into threads with your 'informed' opinion on 'how it's done'. With your 'subtle' condescending manner.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@fallen one :- I look forward to your free versions soon.

If you come back with I don't have time or any excuse why we wont be seeing your easy made models for download then don't make comments if you can't back it up.

Looking good rolfy

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 22:02 Edited at: 4th Nov 2013 22:10
The first images, the ones 'you' posted to advertise, look exactly like shapes that can be created like I said. These new shots are 'entirly different' otherwise you would not post 'updates' to illustrate that are 'different' and 'more complex' than the models in the 'original posts'.
Quote: " Kind of rich coming from a guy who had to ask around here how to map a cube."

A former associate that used to design my games web pages is now funded 10 million USD to make games for NASA, dont think he has ever made any game asset - LOL. Ill see if I can get him to give me a shout if I ever crowd fund about about my ('informed' opinion on 'how it's done') as I dont think rolfy will endorse my game rep - LOL

Quote: "Or did your hired modeler give you this priceless information?"

Thank you for asking - No I paid for him to make these for my Cthulhu game.
http://www.avantivitastudios.com/Cthulhu/Avanti_Vita_Studios_Flying_Polyp_1.jpg
http://www.avantivitastudios.com/Cthulhu/Avanti_Vita_Studios_Dark_Young_1.jpg
I'm also paying a medium to channel the departed spirit of H.P Lovecraft to get the design perfect. Hes good, but his self control is starting to loosen. (warning, this clip features scenes of supernatural terror, it is not to be seen by minors or those with a weak constitution)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7LGHMdSuM

Quote: "@fallen one If you come back with I don't have time/ :- I look forward to your free versions soon"

Thats right, I dont have time, I'm uploading a major update to my Kitchen Cooking Calculator, new interface - responsive design works on all devices at all screen sizes, new meat chef and vegetable cooking guides to the mix. But rolfys kind comments do 'tempt me' to pay someone to make models in the same vein, release them for free on the same day he sells his...

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 22:10 Edited at: 4th Nov 2013 22:18
Quote: "The first images, the ones 'you' posted to advertise, look exactly like shapes that can be created like I said. These new shots are 'entirly different' otherwise you would not post 'updates' to illustrate that are 'different' and 'more complex' than the models in the 'original posts'."

Those are the same models, if you had an inkiling you would know they weren't as simple as you say.

Quote: "Thats right, I dont have time, I'm uploading a major update to my Kitchen Cooking Calculator, new interface - responsive design works on all devices at all screen sizes, new meat chef and vegetable cooking guides to the mix. But rolfys kind comments do 'tempt me' to pay someone to make models in the same vein, release them for free on the same day he sells his..."
Feel free, it's for sure you wont be making them yourself, even though you got high faluting ideas on how it's all done, or rather over simplified, as I said above

Quote: "A former associate that used to design my games web pages is now funded 10 million USD to make games for NASA, dont think he has ever made any game asset"
What this has to do with anything I have no idea. Maybe you have a point, I can only guess maybe web designers command that kind of funding..or maybe someone else gives you a feeling of self importance.

I never questioned your own skills just how you always seem to find a way to simplify others, please stay out of my threads
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 22:17
rolfy, Ive made more game assets than you have had hot dinners, I designed virtually a whole video game several years ago and was almost funded to 7 figures, so rain your neck in. I dont have an interest to grind out content anymore, no one would if they have done as much work as I have done in the past. Ive been very unlucky, but Ive learnt a lot and I do not build games on sweat equity anymore to the whims of publishers.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 22:19 Edited at: 4th Nov 2013 23:07
Yada,yada,yada we all know how super great you are at....well.....everything.

Quote: "Ive made more game assets than you have had hot dinners, I designed virtually a whole video game several years ago and was almost funded to 7 figures"

Wait a minute, you were funded a million to create game assets....working for Nasa too were ya? Dude just a while ago you couldn't even figure how to uv map a box and you were gonna use six planes to rotate a simple texture.

Quote: "
13th Oct 2012 08:13
Is this possible? I thought I could make each face of the box a flat polygon sheet, then use either multi texture or multi mesh. Multi mesh being the best as I could make 6 just 4 different mesh with a 90 degree rotation of each one, that way I could use the same single tex.

But is there a better way, something I have missed. Id sooner use a single cube, rather than 6 different sheets, thats more efficient use of geometry, but how to randomize the face of the cube, or the rotations that the tex is laid. Can anyone think of a better technique that the one I outlines above?

Ill just add unless reader didnt guess, the segment is just a single 100x100x100 unit cube."
Only a year ago, yet you were raking it in for design several years ago?
So much for creating game assets huh? Before you start again you asked for this.

You seem to just throw figures out there, much the same way as you do your opinions.
Can I find this game you designed online?
Quote: "
I dont have an interest to grind out content anymore, no one would if they have done as much work as I have done in the past"
Reads as..."I can't model, I don't have any models to show cause I never actually made any, I will show someone else's I paid to do it for me, I am trolling but this is the easy way out, it's so long ago I don't know if I mean smooth or subdivide".
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 22:29 Edited at: 4th Nov 2013 23:12
7 figures?

Seven figures is $1,000,000 to $9,999,999.99.

Trolling, lying or your involved in a fraudulent action targeted at a large population of people whom all happen to be purchasing your work on more than 20 different e-markets. As there isn't that many registered consumers on each to turn such a profit. Or you've been contracted by at least 10 major game developers in the industry today, for future content on the XBOX-One and PS4 games.

Quote: "I don't have an interest to grind out content anymore"

Makes sense, if your making more money than Bill Gates in his prime. Its understandable why you'd loss the interest when you no longer have the need to work for petty assets. You've come along way from after learning the bare-bone fundamentals as of recent.

Quote: "A former associate that used to design my games web pages is now funded 10 million USD to make games for NASA"

So your "former associate" has been out-sourced while 60 percent of 3,5000 in-house NASA employees have just recently been laid off due to the government shutdown?

By games for NASA are you referring to simulation? or strictly JAVA/Python written web games for children's education? Of which do not require 3D gaming assets. I'd assume you mean web-based games as you stated he makes your games' websites. So in general not games for anything other than the web which generally do not require a plectra of 3D gaming assets. That's quite the gamble to shoot a 10 million dollar contract on someone with-out that type of background - meanwhile they are laying off employees in the thousands who are fully qualified for all aspects of their job.

Quoted from NASA:

Quote: "Virtually all other NASA activities, in particular the research and development projects that represent the core of the agency’s mission, have ground to a halt. "

I guess your friend should be thankful that there has not been a halt to the 10 million dollar spending to create video games.

Also NASA has suffered for years under the weight of a slew of underfunded agency mandates. So if they were making any type of spending as high as the figure your saying... it would be big news and I'm sure NASA and your "friend" would be under fire for wasting the tax payers money.

By the way I did a back check on your "friend", Joe Micallef.

https://plus.google.com/116728402282375523924/posts

Someone just lost a hell of a lot of creditability on the forums here.

(Teabone)
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 00:23 Edited at: 5th Nov 2013 00:24
Rolfy you should know fallen one by now for his comments and how he always has a negative reply to everything.

He been gone for sometime but he not changed, his life must be so boring if he has to come on her to just pull people down to make his life feel better.

Quote: "Ive made more game assets than you have had hot dinners, I designed virtually a whole video game several years ago and was almost funded to 7 figures"

I love to see this game and I'm sure you have development screenshots.

I have no idea why he acts like he does

In fact I've not seen anything he done apart from some skyboxes a while ago.

Sorry for the post rolfy in this thread.

best s4real

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 01:00 Edited at: 5th Nov 2013 03:42
Meh! Just got tired of him eventually, I put up with his crap and bit my tongue for long enough.

Still, push the right button...give 'em enough rope...he always equates his success with outrageous sums of money. Though I got to say he outdid himself above, must have hit the right nerve to get a seven figure knee jerk response like that.
I wouldn't mind usually, if it were someone who I respected and who actually backed up what they say with their own example, but the superiority complex coupled with the need to put others down just grates on me.

Quote: "In fact I've not seen anything he done apart from some skyboxes a while ago."

Those were Bryce skyboxes (for someone at pro level as he claims he sure uses a lot of free software), he actually did a reasonable job, even considering it's so easy to use all the same.
Bryce render engine is a donkey and if you want quality and detail at high res expect day long render times per frame.

When he was selling those I doubt he would have appreciated me jumping into his thread and telling everyone how it was free and they could churn out hundreds of 'em easily, in fact I would expect 'His Awesomeness' would have straightened me out....and rightly so....still, at least I could have backed up my threat and released a whole bunch of free ones myself.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 04:34 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 04:51
I worked for a Miami based company back in the 80's, who did contract work for NASA. I-we, did illustrations for kids coloring books, and T-shirt designs that they sold in they're gift shop at the Kennedy Space Center to the tourists. Would have been nice if they laid out that kind of dough. But trust me, They dont. When you work for them, Your basically working under a Gov. contract. The income rates of such contracts are competitive, but the work is usually steady and payment gaurenteed.

Back from the Wasteland.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 05:05 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 05:59
Since this thread went way off topic anyhow, I would like to take the opportunity to say he doesn't work for NASA, he never said he did, but he didn't receive almost 7 figure funding to create game assets either. Neither does his 'associate' have 10 million funding, these kind of claims are usually followed with a description of some sort of the work required to achieve it.

Heck, if someone gave me funding like that I would be real keen in describing why I was receiving it and would certainly have a portfolio built around it on completion. That kind of funding is given to companies not individuals and is always pretty much publicly announced by those who receive it to promote their business.

Since we all love analogy around here:
If your a city boy who wants to play in the woods...stick to the path....and NEVER poke the bear.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Back on subject, Great work, Rolfy! Always enjoyed your work and learned alot by watching. Look forward to more great things from you.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 05:48 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 05:49
Thanks starmind, been meaning to post over in your threads (looks real interesting) but been kind of sidetracked here
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 06:15
These are going to look fantastic in Reloaded! I can see many alien worlds being created with such models.

(Teabone)
skinner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 12:25
Very imaginative and unique. Real talent

Hello!
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 19:24 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 19:25
I cant help it. When I look at these, I imagine them in some Tim Burton film. You gotta love that!

Back from the Wasteland.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good Rolfy.

Can I just remind everyone to 'be polite'.

Thanks,

SC

Bringing you games since 1981!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 21:18
I wonder what some of these would look like with more of an organic (living) texture?

I reminded of the large animal skeletons in "Pitch Black" which were at first mistaken as trees. If you haven't seen the movie, you'll have no idea what I'm talking about.

Very cool and eerie.

Brian.

I am the underground.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 22:54 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 23:14
Sorry SC got a bit carried away by a certain someone trying to make out the work I do is easy, I think you know yourself where he was coming from and I don't like it when he does this. I have skirted around the negativity for long enough and in this case it's my livelihood he's messing with, I don't sit back and take that lightly.
Fallen one may come across as polite but he's fairly transparent with his intentions to demean others, which become obvious when he flips out and makes threats. I know I forced that out in the open and for that I apologise, but felt it had to be done.

I am in process of adding animated caustics to these models so they can be used in underwater and cave scenes which have pools.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 18:01
This is addressed at Fallen One; since he decided (yet again) to insert himself where he isn't needed.

Coming into another member's thread (or even starting your own thread to purposely bash another member) in order to "prove a point" is deemed as trolling. A violation which you have been chastised for several times before. I've applied one (additional) warning point to your account with a link to this thread. Any future violations of this nature will result in a ban, pure and simple. If you have an issue with this, it really doesn't matter.

Putting aside everything that Rolfy has done for this Community (whether it's free or paid), I would take this action for any member here who is having issues with another member trolling their work/thread in this manner. If you still feel the need to vent on someone for whatever sort of "therapy" you are seeking; I suggest you search for a different community.

-Keith

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 22:34
Quote: "I know I forced that out in the open and for that I apologise, but felt it had to be done."

Agreed. Many probably share the same sentiment- you just beat some to the punch.

Quote: "If you still feel the need to vent on someone for whatever sort of "therapy" you are seeking; I suggest you search for a different community."

Google is your friend. Opps, my wife just smacked me and says she is my therapy. Never mind...

Quote: "I reminded of the large animal skeletons in "Pitch Black" which were at first mistaken as trees. If you haven't seen the movie, you'll have no idea what I'm talking about."

We too were thinking that same movie. Would be cool to turn these into "animated" creatures (have them just sit waiting until you get close). Similar to the Egyptian Anubis characters- they remain motionless until you are in range then attack.

Quote: "Can I just remind everyone to 'be polite'."

I'm Canadian. We're always polite, unless you mess with our coffee.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 07:24 Edited at: 8th Nov 2013 21:46
Additional terrain entity's in Reloaded, I have made these in my 'twisted fantasy' style which you wont get with the terrain editor. These are massive measuring up to 500 feet in real world terms.
But still only coming in around 8,000-10,000 poly's, which considering the scale, is really good and with plenty of detail.

Nice thing about these is, as they are solid mesh, you can flip them over and get extra use from them

These are currently textured with Reloaded terrain default rock, still to look at making my own Thinking they would also make great Arctic ice sculptures too.

A couple of example meshes.

The same terrain as above but flipped so you can see how it works

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 08:53
Wow those are just gorgeous!

@BlackFox I'm Canadian too

(Teabone)
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 20:15
Wow! Lovely stuff rolfy!

@BlackFox. I thought Therapy? were a band from Northern Ireland?!

http://www.therapyquestionmark.co.uk/

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 21:15
Couldn't be just a simple climb, could it? No, it had to have multiple levels, cliffs, and other obstacles. Just had to make it harder than the standard bump or two we use to climb...

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Willow
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 21:34
Looks Great, Rolfy!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Couldn't be just a simple climb, could it? No, it had to have multiple levels, cliffs, and other obstacles. Just had to make it harder than the standard bump or two we use to climb.."

Thanks folks
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 02:33
Nice work Rolfy

I guess everyone is having too much fun with the new terrain system in reloaded to even consider a map pack. Buying premade islands or mountain ranges etc. would also be nice when considering the time involved with sculpting terrains.

These are great entities, and I can already see the need for rock bridge formations to make ravines passable on foot. Not bad on the polys I guess considering the size of those, but still a little high for me. They look smooth enough to be higher than what they are. Nice job, good luck with this.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 03:53 Edited at: 9th Nov 2013 03:57
The thing is any terrain editor is limited in the ability to carve out overhangs,caves bridges etc, I doubt that will change for Reloaded.
It might surprise you to know that Reloaded terrain is around a million poly's so adding a few more particularly at this scale, is no burden. I believe it's very low poly when even smaller models for commercial games would likely cost a lot more for similar objects like these. Still, the smaller objects in this pack have a far less poly count so I would expect folks to use less of the larger objects, particularly in Classic for which I will reduce the scale but when you consider one of the terrain pieces will practically fill an entire map in old FPSC the poly count is worth it
These terrains if used in Reloaded would be for up close and personal rather than distant objects, still if it's required in future I would be happy to create LOD versions.

Back to FPSC.
I have finished up with making these for underwater and in or beside pools where all objects now have animated caustic reflections and a high specular 'wet rock' look, I also created a large cave entity which has it on walls as well. I know the caustics cant be noticed in screenshots, so I will get around to uploading a video soon, it does have a certain 'eeriness' to it.
Also created some ledges which users can put into their builds for added gameplay.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 21:40 Edited at: 11th Nov 2013 21:44
Reloaded terrain entity's and mushroom trees.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 11:07
Looks wonderful!

I will have so much fun with these once you release them!

-Wolf

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 10:42
Doesn't even look like reloaded!

Wonder if we can see some more color in some formations. I think these types of formations would go better with an alien jungle, with some deep purples and blues.

Good stuff as always.

Inmortalis Nox

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:25:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:25:23