Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Mavericks, Xcode 5 and files with .bin extension do not play well

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 18:38
Yesterday I let my Mac Mini upgrade to Mavericks and Xcode 5.

Today, after eventually figuring out how to get the new Finder to display my files in descending modified date order, I tried rebuilding my working WIP (I am just finishing up the last game fields). It built fine. But when I tried to play it, it did not handle the input files for the fields properly. They are stored in a binary format and I used .bin as the extension. Until today, this had not been a problem and the app ran in Mac and on my iOS devices just fine.

Today, it would not load the files properly. It worked if I used the text files (reading in text mode) with .txt extension. So I tried the binary with a .xml extension and it worked fine. And it also liked .dat.

But, do NOT use any files in your media directory with the extension .bin and expect them to behave properly when built in Xcode 5 in Mavericks.

The files are placed on the device and are visible to the app, but don't load properly.

Also, I highly recommend not letting Xcode update the Facebook SDK (which it will ask every time you start up). I do not know if the updated SDK is compatible with AppGameKit and don't want to test on my system right now. I am too close to publishing to want to mess that up.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 19:11
Thx for the bin advice.
I alway call my binary files in another way than the usuals to avoid those issues.

Long life to Steve!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 19:41
I just picked the most obvious extension when I started and it wasn't a problem until today. Apple is taking lessons from Microsoft in how to upgrade and break stuff.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 02:05
Ahaha yes, i'm not too much happy of Mavericks.
It is going a little slower on Mac Mini 2011.
This is why i'm going to buy the Mac Pro in January.

Long life to Steve!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 03:46:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 03:46:40