Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / New Spine Kickstarter

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 15:40 Edited at: 6th Jan 2015 09:34
Hi all, just wanted to make you all aware that there is a 50% funded update to Spine: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esotericsoftware/spine-features

The new features will become available in the Pro version of Spine if / when the new features are funded. Here\'s hoping that they will be implemented fully into AppGameKit V2 as well

Attachments

Login to view attachments
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 18:04
A few months ago I bought the Anime Studio Pro 9.0 at a very low price during a promotion period from Smith Micro. I think that the Spine is too expensive for the features it has.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 18:18 Edited at: 6th Jan 2015 09:33
I haven't tried it, does Anime Studio have an easily readable export format for game development? The basic version of Spine is currently about $60, which makes the main feature-set pretty cheap. AS9 is about $300 which is the same as the full version of Spine. What can it do that Spine can't?

I'm lucky, I backed the Spine kickstarter so I got it (the pro version) pretty cheap.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 19:40
I also backed the first Kickstarter. TGC is also including Spine support in AppGameKit 2. These new features look awesome, I hope for support for them as well. Probably will use Spine in the future.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 20:07 Edited at: 1st Nov 2013 20:25
Quote: " does Anime Studio have an easily readable export format for game development?"

Yes, a series of .png files which they can be combined into a single texture ready to use from AppGameKit animation commands

Quote: "The basic version of Spine is currently about $60"

To be honest I don't remember the price (I store only the S/N) but I am sure it was under 100 €

Quote: "What can it do that Spine can't?"

The 'more' list is endless. Among others:
Complete set of drawing tools to draw your artwork without needing another application
Physics
Smart bones they provide precision of animation (at vertex level) around character joints
Scripting
Charcter wizard
etc
I think the comparison is unfair because the Anime Studio Pro is a complete animation package
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 21:47 Edited at: 1st Nov 2013 21:56
Quote: "Yes, a series of .png files which they can be combined into a single texture ready to use from AppGameKit animation commands"

The advantage of Spine is not having to use multiple images, thus not increasing storage. Also you can swap images, for example using different images for different equipment. Doing that with Spine requires a very small amount of images. If you are going to make frames of all possible combinations it can easily turn into thousands of frames.

A quick calculation of my game. It uses only 16 frames to animate the hero. There are 6 swords, 4 armors and 4 shields. That would result in 1536 frames. Imagine a character with rich animations and add in some more equipment. It's easily over 50,000 frames. For a single character. Spine would require less than 50 (smaller) images for that.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 06:47
I checked out the KS page, and was shocked of the new pricing of the pledges (and the apparent current retail prices that they are selling the existing version for) - has made me glad that I pledged for PRO in the first campaign, but am surprised that they bumped up the prices so much in such a short time. Was thinking of pledging again, but not any more.

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 09:05 Edited at: 5th Nov 2013 21:54
Quote: "I checked out the KS page, and was shocked of the new pricing of the pledges"

Yes, I was quite surprised as well. Glad I backed the first campaign. Still, Spine *has* become quite a hit and the developers have added a tremendous amount of functionality and runtimes. The new price-points reflects this imho.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 14:21
Yes to be fair they added many more runtimes than they first promised and have added a lot of features quickly (which is more than can be said for Spriter, brashmonkey seem to have revamped their website again and yet still seem a long way from finishing the product. At least as far as I can tell. Happy to be proved wrong but as Spine will be supported by AppGameKit V2 I'm not really that interested in Spriter (or AS9) to be honest, Spine should do more than enough for my needs and is easy to use.

oct(31) = dec(25)
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 21:51 Edited at: 5th Nov 2013 21:52
I am not going to buy spine since I can just modify my own editor to do what I want it to do. And 200 dollars for spine is a rip off.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The price increase on this version is massive, from $55 originally to $250 for this new update ($30 vs $160 on Kickstarter). Can't say I'm interested.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:19:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:19:13