Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 3D levels question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 22:20
Hi all

Thanks for your help in advance!

I was just starting to play with the 3D stuff and if i am correct you cannot really load a game 'level'. I have been playing with blender and created a simple textured level and exported it as an OBJ file. Now of course i can load this level but i see that it requires multiple texture files? The help states that an Object can load up to 8 images but these are more for LOD it seems?

The example game map loads everything as individual models that are statically placed in the world. This is kinda poor as the simple level takes AGE....S to load...i can only imagine a playable sizes level would have very poor load times!

How can i create a pretty blender level complete with multiple textures and load it into AppGameKit?...

I must be missing something as this is a kinda basic requirement for 3D games?

www.bitmanip.com
All the juicy you could ever dream of!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 23:09
You can solve the texture issue by using 1 texture atlas. All your textures can be portions of 1 image. Not sure how good the uv mapping tools are in blender but this approach is ideal for performance too. As for the level model itself, agk has no 3D culling currently, so to get decent performance you will want to show/hide portions of the level that are visible or not manually, to get the best performance. So really you want to be dealing with multiple smaller model files.

An ideal approach for agk would be to reuse model pieces (walls, trees, barrels etc) and instance them. That would reduce load times and memory footprint. Creating a huge world model as 1 mesh just wouldn't work well with agk and isn't really an approach used by any professional games, at least not without an intelligent culling system in place.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 08:43
the 3d part in agk is not "finished" yet,
agk v2 promises many good things...

AGK 108 B19 : Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 10:10
Thanks Fallout, Marcus!

Based on what you say, what is then needed is a 3D placement editor, where one could place individual entities?

I guess blender is great for making the entities but then not so good as a placement\level editor? What editor is best to use for this?

www.bitmanip.com
All the juicy you could ever dream of!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 04:55:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 04:55:31