Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / using 3d plans for a road map

Author
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 18:04
im trying to figure out the best way or best possible way to create sharp corners however i cannot reach the vertices like in dbp or gdk ...
and i dont want 3d models from another app , i want a simple racing game in 3d with no additional content maybe some banners but nothing else..

is there any way to bend a plane object ?

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 18:12
yet with agk you can only create a .obj file at runtime and then load it.
better wait until next year the 3d part get more features.

AGK 108 B19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 18:23
damn i didnot want to use it like that...
i wanted to create it myself then the file stay low on size..

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 18:38 Edited at: 7th Nov 2013 18:43
long ago i make my parts in via cad.
8 kilo byte this part in 3ds.
with this parts a make a track at runtime.

AGK 108 B19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 20:22
That's what I would do, lay out different pieces on a grid, maybe even let people draw their own track.

Maybe an idea to have a 2D map overlay thing... then you could hijack it for collision detection - because the sort of collision detection you'd need for a racing game in 3D is fairly insane in AGK's current form. Maybe 2D collision, no jumping, and let Box2D take the brunt of the physics calc. Just a thought.

I am the one who knocks...
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 13:56
Quote: " the sort of collision detection you'd need for a racing game in 3D is fairly insane in AGK's current form"

Doesn't this really just depend on how realistic you want the collision to be and your interpretation of "simple racing game"? I agree, anything more than spherecasting is going to be a bit of a faff, and the results will probably be far from realistic, but I don't necessarily think it would be "insane".

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 16:35
It's far from ideal but it's possible to write your own obj files. The file format is extremely simple so you could generate your track data, create an obj file for the track, save it then load it in as a model, all at app start up time.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 18:06
you got it all wrong..
im trying to create a simple racing game without any additional 3rd party content such as models..
my aim is to try to master all of the current agk commands before version 2 ... i will probably wont make it till the first beta but still im learning all kind of stuff.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 19:55
Well they're not 3rd party if your app generates them at runtime itself. It can make,save,load,delete the model at runtime. Not ideal but workable.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 10:52
Yep and i already found a way to make fake curves with the current 3d capabilities agk commands and i will show them later on .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 11:16:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 11:16:48