Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Tier1]Locate and Save/Load to Dropbox Directory?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 23:28
Currently when I save or load a file it comes from a specific writable folder, depending on the platform. Now is it possible, in Tier 1, to instead of writing/reading from the media folder, but to locate a dropbox directory(if exist) and read/write to that folder?

For my next app I want it to be easy for people to save and load their profile from one platform to another, in the event of replacing a device or if they update their profile on one device, when they load the app on another, it automatically updates. Since dropbox updates files across all plateforms that it's signed into, this would be a very easy way to transfer a personal profile.

So any ideas? Thanks!

I did a forum search but couldn't come up with anything...

Inmortalis Nox
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 23:46
I'm pretty sure that it's not currently possible in Tier 1, but you could probably do it in Tier 2 where you could use the Dropbox api.

I'd have a look at the Dropbox website and see what methods they allow.

Tier 1's access to the outside world is pretty much limited to HTTP Post requests, and I'm not sure they would help much with Dropbox.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 23:54
So save/load is limited to a single directory for the app? Sad..

Figured dropbox would be the way to go. All you have to do is drop the file in the dropbox directory and it does the rest. No hassle.

I'm not ready to jump into T2 just yet.

Inmortalis Nox
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 00:08
Quote: "So save/load is limited to a single directory for the app?"

This is actually something imposed by Android and Apple (iOS), not just something that AppGameKit does 'just because'.

Both platforms want all apps to only access their own 'sandbox' and a very few directories that are considered public (image and music related, I think).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 00:13
Yeah, I realize this is an Android and Apple thing. Though I've used a few apps that allow users to save their profile to the dropbox 'sandbox' folder. So I was curious if AppGameKit could access that folder instead of it's own.

Inmortalis Nox
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 01:00 Edited at: 9th Nov 2013 01:04
I'm not too sure if this is helpful or not, I did a little digging and this is the best that my tired old eyes can manage this late at night

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/datastore/docs/http

But it all seems a little too advanced for me as yet, I'm not sure if u'd be able to use this functionality with AppGameKit Tier 1.

>Edit<
It occurs to me that if you know enough PHP, then you could use AppGameKit to call the PHP file (on your server) and upload the save file to your own server; essentially making your own private "cloud" server for your save games. Obviously you'd need your own web server to host the scripts and files, but it would be one solution.

PHP is definitely on my list of things to learn.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 04:41
The HTTP commands in AppGameKit work very well with servers using PHP files (I use about 5 or 6 right now, AGK/PHP files I mean, I've been doing PHP/MySQL/Linux coding for several years and many clients).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
As ProF and AL mentioned, your best bet would be to use the available HTTP commands to store/retrieve profile data from a server. Using the Dropbox Sync API would require Tier 2 and IMHO be more overhead than is necessary for storing simple profile metadata.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 10:33:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 10:33:47