Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Wordspionage Trailer!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 18:56 Edited at: 15th Jun 2014 07:49
Hi folks, our game is nearly done and we've got the trailer finished!
Trailer was created by Mary Kish of Indie Viddy
Music was written by me and arranged/recorded by Ramiz Haddad

Thanks for watching!!

EDIT: Updated the video. Wordspionage is available on both Google Play and iTunes

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 19:19
That looks awesome

Can I just ask what you made the video using?

And is your game multiplayer over the internet, using your Facebook buddies list to find opponents? (Just like that other scrabble game, lol). Me and my buddies are big Words with friends fans and I think the espionage twist will be a nice refreshing change

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 19:23
Thanks, Prof!
I believe Mary used Adobe After Effects, primarily. I sent her the videos of the actual game after capping them with Fraps and some minor editing with Blender. Blender is actually a really good video editor and could have been used to make the entire video, but I didn't have time to learn all of its nuances for video editing.

The game is multiplayer, over the internet only, and yes it will have Facebook integration (finalizing that and push notifications next week).
My wife and I came up with this idea a couple of years ago as we really love playing word games with each other, but found little to no variation from the standard.
Check out our website for the full rules and more details
www.wordspionage.com

Cheers!

tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Naphier, that looks cool! Congrats and wish u a good sales kick

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 21:11
Thanks tornado!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 17:18
Wordspionage is now available on Google Play!

Thanks to all of those who check it out!
We've been having a lot of fun playing it with the beta testers.
I'm working on iOS today, managing 2 versions (paid and free) of the same app is a wee bit confusing, so I'm taking my time. Plus I don't think we've hit the mark for a Christmas release on the App Store But we're going to try!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 12:15
This is great Naphier, well done... I've currently got 4 games on the go

I like what you have done with the adverts, forcing the user to remove the ad, very clever. I've seen similar on many other apps but assumed that was part of the ad API. Never thought about replicating the same in AGK...

Just so you are aware, I've had several force closes, but can't really pinpoint when or why. A couple was whilst I was moving tiles on the board. I also get the 'Log In' box pop up occasionally whilst in game, a dropped connection perhaps?...

All in all though, an excellent and very well polished game. I wish you much success!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 15:08
Thanks for downloading!

I also built in a bit of error logging. If you received a "fatal error" then it is likely something I've anticipated as an issue, but this should be a rare case. If you could help out and send a support request through the game's menu I might be able to pinpoint the issue. Unfortunately it seems like you're experiencing something that did not happen during any of our beta testing, so a reinstall may be in order. If you could include your device make and OS version in the support ticket email it would be very helpful to me.
The log in button will appear if you've lost connection. I am concerned that I've made that too sensitive and annoying. However you can continue to do most things in the game while logged out.

What's your code name? Maybe I'm playing against you? I'm Sterling. Feel free to send me an invite. I'm eager to play people other than beta testers and my wife (who beats me nearly every time).

We submitted to the App Store last night. I really hope it passes review before Christmas.

Cheers!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 15:40
Lol, yes I am playing you, I am Freddie, although thats actually my sons name... Dan was too short ha...

FYI, I am using a Samsung S4 running 4.3... I will be sure to provide any/all details should I experience any more issues.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 17:05
Good to know who you are in the game!
I've got quite a few games going and can't tell who anyone is because they've not used their email or FB login.

Samsung S4 was one of our beta tester's devices and it seemed to perform quite well. We're using Nexus 5's and Nexus 7's at home to test (as well as an iPhone 3GS - unfortunately the text looks pretty bad in that because of the horribly low resolution).

I think there is some sort of issue with KitKat and wifi... we're experiencing a lot of connection drops lately and it is in everything. I'm wondering if the newest flavor is a little finicky. At any rate, I'm working on an update that will be a bit less sensitive on logging you out. Probably will be able to push that out this weekend.

One thing that I've been pretty amazed at is that even though we have the Spec Ops that seem like they'd give you a big advantage, the game stays extremely well balanced. I've not seen anyone have more than a 100 point lead and that was in a 4-player game. In those other word games that would happen as well if the leading player got lucky. Most of the Wordspionage game scores have been very close.

You're doing very well against me. I'm going to have to step up my game

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 22:43
Looks very nice and could be a winner if people notice it and starts talking.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 22:49
Thanks, Cliff. We sure hope so! The big challenge now is getting noticed.
I'd appreciate all the help I can get on that front, so if anyone is willing to share this in their social circles I'd be quite appreciative!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 05:58
I'm excited to announce that we've had 2 reviews in just one day!! My lovely wife, Shannon (aka Madeline) has been hard at work contacting press about the game over the past week and it's starting to pay off!

Check out our reviews on
Android Police
and
The Arcade

I'd also like to say a big "THANK YOU!" to those of you from the forums here who've tried out Wordspionage. We really appreciate the support of those of you who've played and given us such stellar reviews. You're awesome!

If you're looking to try out the game and don't have someone to play then please feel free to invite me, Sterling, or my wife, Madeline. We're always up for a challenge (but if you want to win then you should probably play me... my wife is 30 wins to 2 loses...)!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 11:54
Nice reviews! I enjoy playing, although I'm getting my butt handed to me by the likes of snowflake and many others

Quick question, whats with the paid version? Are there things on the paid version which arn't on the free version? Or is it just no ads?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 17:39
Yeah, snowflake is pretty good too. I'm getting beat up fairly well by others now too... you think I'd be a master at a game I made LOL

The paid version's only extra feature at the moment is removal of ads. We do plan extra features in the future to make it more appealing. One of which is the ability to see the count of tiles remaining in the tile bag.

Suggestions on extra features such as that are very welcome.

Thanks!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 20:08
You have probably already considered this, but rather than having a paid version, why not have just the free version with IAP.

What I'm thinking, is instead of having the Special Ops on the bonus wheel, you could have it so that the only way to obtain Special Ops is by purchasing them with your WS$. The bonus wheel can remain as it is, but instead of winning Special Ops, you win WS$ (different amounts). You can also get WS$ by winning a game, which I believe you do anyway...

This then opens it up for you to be able to buy extra WS$ via IAP. I guess you could do this anyway, but at the moment, the WS$ is only of any value when you manage to collect a Spec Ops via the bonus wheel. If the Spec Ops were always available via WS$, there may be more of an incentive to purchase more with real money...

Just a thought...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 20:36
Thanks for the idea. We had considered this a bit before, but we really wanted to try to strike a balance of fairness in the game.
Currently all players start with WS$1,000 to use Spec Ops. On average this turns out to be about 5 free games before you run out of WS$.

We also wanted to try to make it fairly free to play. Meaning that if you're good (i.e. you win a lot or you play Mission Words - these also give you WS$ possibly) you might not have to buy WS$ for a while. This said, I'm probably giving away WS$ too freely, but at the same time I didn't want the game to be like Candy Crush Saga where you are essentially forced into buying stuff.

So it's all for balance. So far it is OK, but we're still in the very early stages of usage. I may get more greedy later if we're not really making any money, but for the time being I wish to build a good reputation of being fair and not forcing people to pay to play.

That said, I can do a couple of things to increase sales if need be. I could increase the cost of playing Spec Ops or decrease the amount that is awarded when you spin the winner bonus wheel.

Also we hope to remove ads altogether if the IAP for WS$ is successful enough. That way the paid version will simply have extra features. I had some more features planned, but I just can't remember them right now.

Good suggestions though, thank you!!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 00:34
Wordspionage is now available on iTunes for free or paid ($1.99USD)

Free

Paid ($1.99USD - no ads)

Come join in the fun! Quite a few folks from the AppGameKit forums are playing. If you are looking for a player my wife and I always accept invites. I'm Sterling and she's Madeline.

Thanks for the support!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 09:19
Great professional looking ad! Looks like a fun game, I hope it catches on

oct(31) = dec(25)
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 12:14
Hello Naphier, I just wanted to highlight a potential bug... If you take a look at the attached screenshot, you'll see that a couple of the tiles have overlapped. Also, there is a blank tile slightly hidden it the upperleft corner.

I cannot replicate the issue (although I have had it a few times), but this seems to be something to do with initiating the blank tile, but not actually using it that round.

Also, 'Sunday' wasn't allowed, I always thought days of week were fine?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 18:16
Yeah this stuff seems to happen ever-so-rarely. It's like AppGameKit fails to perform a calculation and just throws out zeroes instead. I've not really been able to determine the cause, but I've added extra checking to try to prevent this from happening in the next version.
Days of the week and month names are proper nouns (note how you capitalize the first letter). Proper nouns are not in the dictionary. Sorry
Thanks for the error report.

If you see it again please try to send me the error report through the game's menu button (upper right hand corner button the press support). It captures the screen, data files, and error log which can greatly help in finding the root to any bugs.

Thank you!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 13:12
Liking the update Naphier... The 'Wordspionage' animation is a nice touch. One thing though, have you removed the ability to exit the app with the back button? I couldn't close the app (had to force close)...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 19:47 Edited at: 31st Jan 2014 19:51
Glad you like the update we've added a number of new features. Lots of minor bug fixes, all of the animations are now timerbased and should either be faster or smoother on all devices. We also now have our own keyboard UI so that I don't have to be concerned with users having issues with AGK's edit box entry (which is far from stable). We're hoping that this improves our download to signup ratio greatly. One of my favorite improvements is that you can now scroll the home screen instead of pressing the scroll bar sprites I had. The next update will bring board zooming and hopefully some sounds. EDIT: I also fixed the bug you were seeing with the blank tile getting tossed into the upper left corner as well as tile overlaps

Regarding closing the app:
Unfortunately, AppGameKit doesn't exit correctly on Android and causes issues. We were seeing lots of reports from users (and able to reproduce ourselves) that the app would restart on exit or give a crash message. After a bit of research we found that the way that AppGameKit closes an app is not desirable behavior on Android. Android thinks that the app closed on accident and thus often restarts it or shows that the app closed unexpectedly. This seems to happen more on Android 4 and up. Desirable behavior for Android apps are to simply send them to the background and not terminate the process. Unfortunately there is no way to do this in AppGameKit so we simply removed the functionality for now.

You don't need to force close the app. It behaves like any other app and its processes are suspended when sent to the background (except for timer which is system based). So just hit the home key. I'm looking into creative ways to tie a Tier 1 command to the back key press so that the back key sends the app to the background when at the app's home screen. We think that we can tie SetAdvertVisible to this method, but I didn't have the time to experiment with it yet. Again there's no reason to force close the app. Just press the home key and allow it to stay in memory like all other android apps do.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 19:57 Edited at: 31st Jan 2014 19:57
Quote: "You don't need to force close the app."

Oh but I do I cannot bare having apps running in the background. The first thing I do when an app cannot be closed is force close it.

Were you doing anything specific when the back key was pressed? Like deleting all sprites, images, text etc? Or were you simply calling end and letting AGK/Android handle it?

The reason I ask this is because I have not experienced this issue at all and have only had about 20~ reports from over 55k downloads. If you are doing your own cleanup, I'm wondering if this may be why, because I simply call 'end' and that's it...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 20:07
Nope, just simply call END. It doesn't come through as an ANR report, so your users would have to reach out to you. It may be that we're using API 19 so that we can be listed as made for tablets and API 19 doesn't like the way it closes. We're also using AppGameKit 10819, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Android and iOS are built so that you don't need to close apps. iOS even frowns on it and originally rejected dFenz because we had an exit function. That's why the force close is typically well hidden (though in 4+ you can swipe it away on the task switcher and that force closes it too).

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 21:05
Yeah, maybe its an API/Version thing (I'm still using AppGameKit 10812)... To be honest, Wordspionage crashed/restarted frequently on my device too, so its definitely better to get rid. I can live with force closing it

Anyway, its my turn, I need to get back to Wordspionage
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 21:08

Have you beaten Madeline yet? Only 2 people have beaten her and I get real tired of her gloating when we're testing and she beats me lol

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 22:25
I've got to agree with Funnell7. I really like being able to quit out with the back button. Although I am aware that Wordspionage often gave me an error when I exited it.

I've not noticed my app doing the same thing when you quit out of that. I'm fairly sure I just have an "End" statement at the end of that. Although I'm not entirely sure which version of AppGameKit mine is compiled with. It's one of the Beta's though.

I came dangerously close to beating Madeline the other day. I scored 293 points with a word, but she employed double agent and stole half of it. Still, she only beat me by 100 pts or so that game. Closest yet lol

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 22:33
I like being able to exit too, but it came down to making the game appear more stable. End users get suspicious of an app that reboots itself or gives off forced close messages so we went with just no exit for now. I'll be working on the back button responding like the home key in the next version. Hopefully it won't be too hard (I'll laugh at myself if it is super easy).

I actually beat her once last night, but I was sort of cheating - I was playing with two accounts against her. The funny thing is that I've played against her in various word games over the past 5 years or so and I probably only win about 10% of the time. She's also much better at sudoku than I am... Oh and she beats me at Monopoly too. It kind of stinks lol

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 03:30
Just to let you all know, you can 'fake' close an app by holding the home button. This brings up a list of your open apps.
Just swipe them to the side to close.
This doesn't nessacarily close everything though. For instance, if you close FaceBook, it will leave a module running in the background that notifies you of notifications.

To totally close the app, go to app info and close it there. (Go to app list, long hold, drag onto 'app info')

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 03:32
With AppGameKit apps this method seems to actually close them, probably because they don't have any TSR type activities.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 22:37
Awesome game, if you haven't downloaded it yet, do it

A fantastic showcase for what AppGameKit is capable of, I'm impressed at how professional it looks.

One little thing for you to note, if you ever go global with the dictionary. In standard Scrabble, the letter Z is worth 1 point in Polish! I only know because it was a quiz question on TV a couple of days ago. It's just one example of how language may need to be considered.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 22:39
I'll keep that in mind. We've toyed with the idea for other languages. It certainly would be cool and help set us apart even further.

Thanks for playing!

MASTER OF PUPPETS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 09:00
Hello,

I wanted to express to you that I greatly enjoyed my (overall) experience with your game. Once I got through the initial setup, I was very happy with the game-play itself.

I may have missed this above, but I found something of an issue. I don't know if it's the app itself, or from what I've read, AGK's handling of the keyboard function. While trying to setup a username on a new account, I was given the number pad display, not the text input display... I feel kinda stupid being the only one on there with all numbers as an alias.

Maybe a "Sign In As Guest" - or - "Generate Random Name" option?

Anyway, if it at all matters, the device used was an HTC EVO 4g LTE.

Thanks for listening, and CONGRATULATIONS on an otherwise AWESOME game!!!

|,,|, (Dead Knot Broken) ,|,,|
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 09:11
Thanks for playing. I'm glad you're enjoying it!
I wondered why there was a player called 12312312 now I know! You actually missed the update by just a day or two. I completely removed AppGameKit edit boxes due to odd issues like this. We now have our own keyboard UI that looks very similar to the android 4.x keyboards. And no more odd issues with text input! We're hoping this greatly improves the tedious process of creating a new account. We're also considering allowing guest accounts in the future for easier access.
Thanks for the feedback!!

MASTER OF PUPPETS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 19:53
Hey! It's "12312311231"! Get it right! Hahaha. I appreciate your response. Are you above a feature request? Perhaps a "Change Username" option is in order. Specifically for my case alone

Also, I took two screenshots of what appears to be a sprite draw-order issue. A double-post seems unavoidable

Attachments

MASTER OF PUPPETS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 19:56
... and the second...

Attachments

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 19:58 Edited at: 6th Feb 2014 21:14
Looks like the cleanup for the animation got skipped over somehow. I must have missed something. Can you email me directly to discuss further?
naplandgames@gmail.com

Thanks!

EDIT:
Just a reminder to anyone who has issues with the game or feature requests - I do currently monitor this thread for activity, but someday I might miss something. If you have any problems please submit them through the app. This provides me with a log of the issue and allows you to send an email to our support team . You can also provide feedback and request features through the app which links to our feedback forum. This allows other users to see your feature request and upvote it plus it allows me to publicly comment on what we're doing about it.

MASTER OF PUPPETS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 20:23
Sure thing.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2014 04:18 Edited at: 7th Mar 2014 04:19
We just had an interview with TheGameEffect.com!!
If you're interested in hearing about the inspiration and team behind Wordspionage then check it out!

http://www.thegameeffect.com/news/wordspionage-interview

In other news:
The next release is currently in beta and being put through the grinder. We've got cool sounds and board zooming coming as two of the main features. We also just optimized some things on our server which has given us some major speed improvements. The server changes should be noticeable immediately. We're still about a week away from releasing the next version.

As always, thanks for playing!!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2014 22:49
We just got our second interview!
Check it out at Powerslyde

Also, if you haven't heard:
The new update is out. Sound and board zooming is in along with a few performance updates for connections, some more graphics improvements, and little bug fixes. The next update will have a Quick Match feature that will match you up with the next available player, chat, and a training/tutorial session for new Recruits.

Thanks for playing!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 07:48
Just updated Wordspionage!
Leaderboards are now active.
We've added training for new recruits.
Made a few more graphical and gameplay improvements.
Looks like I haven't updated this thread in a while... board zooming and sounds are already in plus lots of performance improvements.
Next on the list is chat and quick match mode. Then we're off to add Google signin and invites.

Thanks for playing!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:14:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:14:44