Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / segment control via scripting?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 00:57
Is there a way to have segments appear or disappear as a result of a script? Basically the effect I am trying to achieve is that when a player enters through a specific door, he enters a trigger zone that makes the door disappear so the player cannot go back the way he came. I wouldn't mind rendering the door useless but the game is supposed to be about the mystical and unknown so i want the door to completely vanish

I game. Period
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 01:05
Quote: "Is there a way to have segments appear or disappear as a result of a script? Basically the effect I am trying to achieve is that when a player enters through a specific door, he enters a trigger zone that makes the door disappear so the player cannot go back the way he came. I wouldn't mind rendering the door useless but the game is supposed to be about the mystical and unknown so i want the door to completely vanish"

No, scripts cannot control segments. Scripts only have control on dynamic entities... and post effect shaders... and the global setup file, title page, game won/completed (located in the languagebank\english\gamebank\FOLDER).

If the door (particularly the frame part itself) does not jut out from the wall too much, what you could do is create a wall entity and texture with the same texture the wall uses. Then you make it dynamic and have it spawn with collision on to cover the door. The player can hit a trigger and that trigger would spawn the wall entity to cover the door. however, in order to pull it off so the door cannot be seen, the frame can't stick out to where it would poke through the wall.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
SirHaXalot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 01:09
So ill just model a door with a frame that isn't too big and it'll work. Thanks BlackFox. And yea i assumed you couldn't control segments. Wishful thinking

I game. Period
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 01:13
Quote: "So ill just model a door with a frame that isn't too big and it'll work."

If you do this, ensure the frame blends with the wall so it holds the same thickness as the wall. Then when you spawn the "entity wall" to cover the door, it can be slightly wider than the door/frame/segment wall you are using. You may notice it at first attempt, but you should be able to adjust what you need in that entity wall to make it all blend together as close as possible so you can't see where it "covers" the door.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 23:59 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2013 11:35
It 'might' be possible because the actual door part of a segment door and the punch are dynamic entities but segment door frame would have to remain.
Unfortunatly, I would not have a clue how to script this but the idea is there.

NOTE - Blackfox's idea is a good workaround but I'm not sure if the 'punch' part of the door segment setup would be a problem by doing it that way.

Good luck.

EDIT- On reflection I do not think the 'punch' can be destroyed because it is written into the 'FPS' file and not the 'FPE' file which it would have to be in to be destroyed.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 23:43
Quote: "EDIT- On reflection I do not think the 'punch' can be destroyed because it is written into the 'FPS' file and not the 'FPE' file which it would have to be in to be destroyed."

That is correct. There is now way to "remove" the punch, at least not that I have seen or tried in our own work. That is why I suggest the other work around- spawn a wall to "cover" the door and frame. Less headaches.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:01:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:01:23