Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Drawing on top of sprites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 18:24
Does anyone know how to make drawing commands (ie. print, text, dot, circle etc.) appear OVER sprites, rather than underneath them? I've tried DRAW SPRITES FIRST, but then the sprites don't appear at all!

Any help would be appreciated.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that you have to put your text on sprites too. There might be other ways, like pasting your sprites on the screen first. Or just pasting an image of your sprite on the screen first. Or putting your sprite on a plain first.

Pincho.
mcb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 19:40
Thanks, but I can't do any of the things you suggested.

Y'see, I've got this info panel at the side of my screen, and I want to be able to write various bits of game info on it. It's a sprite, because my whole game is done in sprites and the only thing DB will let you draw over a sprite is another sprite. I would've used paste image but you can't scale it. (For zooming)
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh...zooming is a problem. You might have to paste it as an image most of the time, then for zooming turn it into a sprite with the image grabbed from the screen. Then paste it as an image again afterwards. Or something like that. You could use plains if it was 3D.

Pincho.
mcb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2003 23:42
Screen grabbing is, i think, too slow.
I think I'll wait for patch 6 and see if anything turns up, seeing as there seems to be no simple way to do it in DB...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh well if it's DBPro then you should definately use Plains because sprites and plains are the same thing. I thought it was DBClassic.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 13:01
Use SET SPRITE to switch the backsave option off, and there is no difference in speed between using a sprite or a plain, except that sprites are far easier to use.

You can use the DRAW SPRITES FIRST to allow you to draw over them later
mcb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 13:54
Thanks IanM... now why did no-one tell me that BEFORE I started making my own font drawing functions all over the place
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 14:01
Well, you only asked less than a day ago

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 01:32:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 01:32:42