Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Mass Conflict - SoftMotion3D (wip)

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 19:59 Edited at: 13th Apr 2014 00:13
Mass Conflict is a space game where you fight against alien space ships that pose a threat to earth. Surface Dog Fight, Enter the ship and blow out the core, escape before it blows up.

February 3,2014
Full Version Released: 1.0

Feb 8,2014 Released: 1.13
- Adjusted Tile engine
- Increased speed x2 on all devices (had a render duplication)
- Adjusted some levels to be not so crazy hard

google play <Using IAP> 1.13
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sheldonmacdonald.massconflict

ouya <Using IAP> 1.15
https://www.ouya.tv/game/Mass-Conflict/

blackberry 1.13
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/47409896/?lang=en&countrycode=CA

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 04:33
Awesome news for this game.... It should be available on OUYA next week and with 2 player support

Im just finalizing 3 level sets to compose a demo to submit ~Monday or Tuesday.

I cant wait to see what people think of it on discovery

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2014 04:42 Edited at: 6th Jan 2014 22:13
Game has officially been submitted to ouya with 3-2 level sets and 2 player mode coded in.

Does anyone want to try this on their tablet? I do have the controls coded already but will need to recompile for it.

edit:
tested on soo far.
-Blackberry [looks like I need to disable lighting on bullets for scene2] but runs 30fps after that
-nexus 7 quadcore [runs 30fps] minor slow downs when it gets busy with lighting
-ouya [Holds a steady 30fps through everything]
-pc I could probably unlock the fps on and get 60fps easy...no problems...

funny after testing that....ouya out performed my tablet quad core for this 3d game.

edit:

Now Available on OUYA ! AppGameKit game #2...lol!

https://www.ouya.tv/game/Mass-Conflict/

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 14:15 Edited at: 8th Jan 2014 14:16
now I have a google play demo out....check it out.

its been directly ported from ouya so the menu has not changed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sheldonmacdonald.massconflict

depending on what device you have... some of the 3d may have cut off. I will see what I can do to fix that.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 14:46
Downloaded and 5 starred for you

A few observations, its very dark, I can hardly see any terrain (girders etc) and end up flying in to things. The title screen buttons are also very small (but then this release isn't meant for phones). I also had a few crashes, one of them when I clicked the back button assuming it would return me to the titlescreen. And lastly, you may want to freeze the orientation to landscape, it makes it even more difficult when I try to play it in portrait

Good work! Keep it up...
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 02:37 Edited at: 27th Jan 2014 03:36
ok thanks! yeah I see the menu needs fixing but like I said....I just ported it without fixing the menu for touch screens. I also noticed the menu buttons are very slow to respond... I will fix that for sure! I cant believe I totally forgot about the orientation of the device... I forgot this cause the ouya cant flip.

Thanks for your valuable feed back... much appreciated!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 05:22 Edited at: 10th Jan 2014 00:45
@funnell7

I just fixed the menu and should now be good on your phone. as far as the brightness level goes... I will need to make a setup menu so you can tinker with the lighting settings.

I took your advice with the back button...did some testing and its keystate was 27 so I setup to go back to main menu.

Also 2 new buttons have been added in screen. 1 for switching weapons (not available yet) and the other to pause the game. Also note that the red button only works in scene 2 levels.

Update to 0.3 and hopefully its a better experience.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 04:23 Edited at: 27th Jan 2014 04:36
here are some new screen shots:

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 06:56
ok this games finished!!

I coded up a nice boss fight for the very last level aswell....and dang hes a tough alien.

I just submitted to Blackberry and will let you all know when its approved.

I need about 2 days for testing the Android release as its using IAP so I need to make sure its working properly before posting it.

Ouya...well its waiting for v2 ...bummer.. but is at least its 2 player

PC... let me make some adjustments so it runs off keyboard as well and I will submit it to IndieDb and see how it goes from there. (2 player support as well but off the same pc)

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 07:19 Edited at: 9th Feb 2014 07:20
wow after just starting to code Ice Brawlers 3D to use my tile engine... I discovered that I was rendering Mass Conflicts graphics twice every sync....doh! that includes calculating lights x2 and drawing tiles x2 for no reason...

I just submitted a release fixing that and what do you know... it solved the bb10 problems. The performance of the game is now much more smoother and solid.

I also adjusted the light setting for those that do not have their phones on the brightest level.

Everything is finally looking good.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 09:27
Nice little game SMD!

My only critisism would be that the kick-back when firing inside the spaceship is far too high.

It migh also be an idea to display a small message to anounce what bonus you have collected.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 19:07
I could knock back the kick back on the regular gun but I think its perfect for the bombs.

Thanks and I will still be making some updates for this.

If you purchased the game there is actually 1 boss fight at the end of level 9-2.

The final boss shoots and drops the trip mines inside the ship and when they explode they drop bombs for you to pick up and shoot back at the boss....is allot of fun.

I will make a video of the final boss fight and post it.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 02:07
I have yet to make that boss fight video...however I did release the full version over OUYA today and 100% free.

I decided that this game will be sort of a stepping stone to a much bigger project that will be made for ouya later this year.

enjoy!

The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2014 09:25
SMD

I see some of the 'tiles' on the scrolling map have a 3d look. Did you draw them as so in a 2d tile editor or did you use a 3d placement editor?

Looks nice...will try it on my nexus later!

www.bitmanip.com
All the juicy you could ever dream of!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2014 19:03
its completely 3d tiles... side scrolled.

However for the level editing it was done with a 2d map editor.
I used tile studio to make the placement 2d tiles and then the game engine itself loads them in and replaces the 2d placement items with all 3d tiles.

Cool and tell me how it runs

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2014 19:02
Tried this on my OUYA, died I guess close to the end of the first indoor section. Overall not a bad game, it lacks a bit of polish IMO. The light effects are nice, but the light in the indoor was flat. Try playing around with point lights to create a more interesting environment.

The flying stage was a bit too dark for me. I also thought the enemy planes were a bit too hard to kill at first. And it looks weird when the enemy planes flies into walls and crash. The player ship is quite slow, which is a bit boring.

The indoor level design is quite dull. Couldn't you have gone with some more interesting colors? Some on-screen instructions would have been nice. The gameplay felt a bit uninspiring, not sure why.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 03:29 Edited at: 26th Feb 2014 04:16
humm.... ok?

I think the game is actually fairly solid myself...

The lighting system kicks in on the second part of the map levels when the core gets blown out. This is where the kick ass lighting system starts to shine in my opinion. You may not have seen the alien's how they shoot and the background gets lit up the color of the bullets used.

Ok well thanks for trying it out anyways. Maybe you would see that there is much more to the game if you actually advanced a level or so.

I even coded in a boss fight at level 9-2.

but anyways...cool and thanks for your opinion.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 04:39
for fun I should see if I can post the level maps...

yup here is an image shrunk down for the entire level 1 set maps

there is a total of 9 level sets if anyone wants a walk through

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 08:40
I didn't realize how big the 2nd level was. I guess I died halfway through. Then I started at the beginning of the level and I wasn't compelled to keep playing.

If I compare this game to other games on OUYA I rather play Knightmare Tower, which is my favorite OUYA game so far. Nimble Quest is also great and I enjoyed Fallen World as well. I have bought all 3 of those games, and a few more I can't remember at the moment. It is really hard to judge your own game. If you want to make a good game, you have to spend more time on it. RTA is 19 months in development and counting.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 14:23
hum... well I guess each person has a different game preference.

For example I hate nightmare tower...worst game on ouya in my opinion and is nothing more then a tablet game that should not have been ported over. Nimble quest I agree with ya is solid. The best game on ouya by far is raven sword. And im not going to lie about it but your rta does not look very polished either there for I cannot take your criticism seriously.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 16:15
It's really hard to judge your own game, as I said. I probably like my game more than anyone else. Taste is also very individual. If you have any suggestions for RTA I am always open for suggestions.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2014 05:56
to be honest... I never tried rta so I cant judge it.

I just get on the defensive when I get criticized I guess... which I should try not to do.

my apologies...

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2014 06:22 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2014 06:23
here is level 2 for those that wouldn't mind a map

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2014 12:17
Quote: "to be honest... I never tried rta so I cant judge it.

I just get on the defensive when I get criticized I guess... which I should try not to do.

my apologies..."

Getting criticized is never fun. It's very easy to get defensive over something you have created yourself. And it's something we all need to get used to, because what we as game developers do, will get criticized.

I get a bit defensive myself at times. And after a few days, when it has sunk in and I have thought about it, maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all. Or I can take some of that feedback and use it.

I made my comments because that's what I think you can do to improve the game. I do not think the game is bad, just not for my taste. If you agree on my points or not, is up to you. You're the designer and it's your creative vision. You can't please everybody.

Apology accepted and let's forget about the whole thing

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 01:32
I took some of your feedback and released another update.

-now has a small amount of lighting at the start of area 2's
-speedup map area 1's and adjusted enemy life.
-game now saves and can begin from area 2's
-player 2 can now join game on area 2's

if ya want to give it another shot....at least its a little better.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 14:04
When I have the time

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 22:24
I have to say, that was a potentially volatile situation between you two, but in the end, you both handled it in a very PROFESSIONAL way!

Now that is how constructive criticism should be handled!

Well done to the both of you!

I also have the Ouya and will give the game a try when I get the chance.

Thank you,
JHA
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2014 02:08 Edited at: 5th Mar 2014 02:10
Quote: " volatile situation "
yeah it was and that's why I left the forum for a week before going back. I am usually quick on the defence and never really think things through on the spot. Giving it a week I realized I was in the wrong. Also I took some ideas he mentioned and it really was already coded in... I just needed to make some lighting adjustments and speed a few things up.

Its still not the best game out there....but it is the best game I ever created for myself and that's why its hard not to jump on the defence for it.

(this update was for ouya only at the moment)

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2014 12:34
Quote: "Well done to the both of you!"

Thanks

Quote: "but it is the best game I ever created for myself and that's why its hard not to jump on the defence for it."

Yeah, I know. It's the same for me. You are proud of what you have accomplished. You know all the work that went into it and how you've pushed yourself. It is extremely hard to look at something like that objectively. There's some science done on this and it's the same for everybody.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 23:37 Edited at: 13th Apr 2014 00:14
added iap for ouya.

now uses agk v2

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 01:51