Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Snackantula DEMO: feedback/suggestions/ideas required.

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:33
Hello all,

Some of you may know this game, which originally started as an entry for an AppGameKit competition, where we ended up second (DVader's entry had less bugs, i guess ). Nah, he won the competition fair and square.

Anyways...we (Hodgey, Darkvee and myself) had plenty of ideas, but not enough time (which is usually the case when developing any game), we had things in life that held us back to create this game in a decent manner, or other stuff that came in between to properly develop 'Snackantula' much further.

We still want to give this project a shot and see how good we can make it, but we need a bit of help from you all.
All that we ask, is ... feedback and suggestions (lots of it, good or bad, don't hold back...we can take it ).
And, in return, we'll do our very very best to make it as good as we possibly can, using YOUR suggestions and ideas as a guide.
Don't expect every idea to be implemented, though. We can not please everyone, but we can try to make the majority happy.

Here's an explanation of the game (for those that don't know it yet):

The Story
Meet Speedy. It's your job to move Speedy around the web, eating bugs. There is a catch however, the web strands decay the longer you stand on them (signified by glowing red) so don't stay in one place for too long. Try to hang onto the web for as long as possible. As soon as you lose contact with the web poor Speedy will fall. Collecting bugs will replenish your silk supply allowing for automatic web repair. Good luck and hang on tight!

Controls
Use the mouse (keep right mousebutton pressed while dragging/moving) to move around the web. The spider can also be moved on touch screens. Web strands that are red mean that they are currently decaying so move off them quickly!

Roadmap
- Powerups e.g complete web repair, 'light-weight' feet
- Multiple themes
- Obstacles based on themes
- Much more...depending on your ideas/suggestions...

We hope to get lots of feedback, and hope you'll enjoy playing the demo. Thanks, and have fun! :

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 23:32
Hey, glad to see you're all back working on this. I've been waiting!

I just had a go and I still really like the concept. It's a very original idea and I hope it catches on.

For feedback, I guess I have a few points. I must admit that playing on a PC, I didn't find the controls very intuitive. I understand that you are working to make it touchscreen compatible but maybe it would be worth adding keyboard support for moving the spider as well, where a keyboard is available. Also I didn't really understand about repairing the web. As the web decayed underneath the spider, was standing on a section of web also going to repair it? Or does it just repair the web in the area of the blue splash when you eat a fly? I think perhaps you need stronger visual cues to indicate these things. Another issue I had was that later in the game, I noticed that the spider began moving very erratically, rather than straight towards my mouse. I'm not really sure why though. Maybe the spider was trying to avoid gaps in the web automatically? Either way I found that quite confusing.

I wonder, how do you plan to keep people playing the game? It's just that it occurs to me that although the different themes are visually pleasant, the game may become repetitive quite quickly in its current state. Do you have any plans to offer different shaped webs etc? In terms of broader ideas, I wonder if you could make more of web building in the game. As in, maybe if you create web behind the spider, then you could start the game with an incomplete web that you fill in, allowing you to catch more flies or something. And maybe all the flying dangerous things could damage the web? I'm just throwing ideas out there really, I'm not sure if any of those would actually work with the game design you have at the moment.

Still, it's definitely looking promising and I look forward to future updates!

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 00:19 Edited at: 4th Jan 2014 00:24
Hi Lucas Tiridath thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize people was waiting on this game. When we saw your post it really made the team's day.

Quote: "Another issue I had was that later in the game, I noticed that the spider began moving very erratically, rather than straight towards my mouse. I'm not really sure why though. Maybe the spider was trying to avoid gaps in the web automatically? Either way I found that quite confusing."

Does this only happen in the Lava theme? the fireballs that hit you make the spider move around. We got this idea from Mario 64. When your on fire Mario moves around.

By the way I really like some of your idea's you had for the game.
For the repair web were wanting it to be where you get to choose which web strands you want repaired by double tapping or something.

Right now it does it automatically. You get points and as soon as it sees a web strand needs repair if your standing on it it will then take your silk points and repair it automatically.

Keep up the great work guys keep giving us feedback.

darkvee
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 12:33
Great to see you working on AppGameKit again TS!! Thought you'd completely abandoned us for Unity

The game's looking great!

oct(31) = dec(25)
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 15:02
Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the comments/suggestions! Keep them coming!

Quote: " I understand that you are working to make it touchscreen compatible but maybe it would be worth adding keyboard support for moving the spider as well, where a keyboard is available."

Yeah, i see your point. The original version had keyboard control, but we thought it would play better with only the mouse. Guess we'll have to thinker about getting the keyboard control back in.

Quote: "Also I didn't really understand about repairing the web. As the web decayed underneath the spider, was standing on a section of web also going to repair it? Or does it just repair the web in the area of the blue splash when you eat a fly? I think perhaps you need stronger visual cues to indicate these things."

As darkvee said, the web repairs itself automatically on the strands the spider stands on, IF there's enough silk available in the silkbar.
It might be a good idea to make it more obvious to the player when a strand is repaired. Thanks for the suggestion, Lucas!

Quote: "I wonder, how do you plan to keep people playing the game? It's just that it occurs to me that although the different themes are visually pleasant, the game may become repetitive quite quickly in its current state."

True, as the game is now, it's rather repetitive and not enough variation/challenge. There's still lots of things missing that we wanted in the game to begin with. Such as a variety of powerups/obstacles.

Quote: "And maybe all the flying dangerous things could damage the web? I'm just throwing ideas out there really, I'm not sure if any of those would actually work with the game design you have at the moment."

Yup, if i remember, that was one of the features that we had in mind. And, it should be possible to implement that without too much trouble, i think.

Quote: "Great to see you working on AppGameKit again TS!! Thought you'd completely abandoned us for Unity "

Hhehehe, thanks Steve! It's been a while, aye?
I still have my projects that i'm working on in Unity. Besides 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia', i have started a new project (on my own)...it's a Mortal Kombat clone. I already have a playable base done.

Quote: "The game's looking great!"

Thanks!

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 19:56
Like!
cool game i really liked the music i think that was a good choice of sound track. keep it up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-14 18:24:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-14 18:24:55