Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Release] OUYA Tech Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 17:23
Hi!

I've been working on two FPS ideas for the OUYA and have just released a short tech demo.

I'm really enjoying working with AppGameKit and hope to take both games further.

Full information and a link to the .apk can be found on my blog at http://nalacreations.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/ouya-tech-demo-release.html

I'd be grateful for any feedback. Thanks!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 15:47
screenshots look good.

I too would love to make an fps some day. If your coding for ouya I recommend coding it with 30 fps in mind as 60 is very hard to get out of the ouya. As soon as you start adding enemies...ai. the fps starts to drop fast.

I will go check out your link.

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 22:17
Thanks for checking this out.

And you're right about the frame rate; when starting out I had lots of objects moving around at once, and soon realised that I'd need to cap the engine at 30FPS.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 03:01 Edited at: 27th Jan 2014 03:30
sorry im a tad slow on getting back to ya.

Demos look great and I almost missed the part where the bullets are leaving holes in the environment... then it just caught my eyes when I walked up close to an object.

very nice!

Id look at speeding up the jump code and that's the only tweak I can think of.

I look forward to see where your game is headed!

edit: 1 more tip...almost forgot.

I don't know if you own more then 1 controller for the ouya but agk can potentially name controller 1,2,3,or 4 as the first controller. They can all be outa wack depending on what controller was turned on first...eg I turned controller 1 on and started your alpha demo....then that was it. I was stuck till I picked up my controller #2 and it worked after that.

I must have turned on controller 2 first before #1 and you need to code in a way to expect input from any of the four.

What I did for my Mass Conflict game on ouya was to target the first controller to press a button on the menu screen to be player 1. Secondly I ran a scan on all other 3 inputs at the start of a level to see if a player 2 was going to join. If they did it would register with that joystick number as the second player.

Try MassConflict on the ouya with 2 controllers or even four of them and you will see what im talking about.

I recommend coding this from the start to scan all 4 places (crashes on pc if you don't have 4) but does not crash on the ouya player to scan all four places for input.

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 23:20 Edited at: 29th Jan 2014 23:23
I really appreciate your feedback and encouragement. Thank you!

I'll be experimenting with all player values as soon as I've implemented some enemies. A faster jump would make evasion a little more satisfying. Playing too much Halo over Christmas is to blame for the current floaty jump!

And a massive thank you for the controller tip. I wasn't aware of this previously, and will certainly look at implementing a solution based upon your advice.

Thanks again.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 01:18
Still experimenting with your retro shooter ideas.

Unfortunately I don't have an Ouya (or a TV to plug it into) so I can't try out your demo. Any chance of a windows version?

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 14:00
I plan to release another demo once enemies have been implemented. A Windows build will be made available at that time.

Thanks for your interest.
Boulderdash
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the second screen shot (grey) will definitely give it a test drive when you do a windows build
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 23:50 Edited at: 4th Feb 2014 23:52
Awesome!

I've added a lot to Hordes gameplay this week, including zombies, rounds, and a points system. I'll start work on polishing the games art tomorrow and will release a new build once that's done.
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 11:19 Edited at: 16th Feb 2014 23:35
Here's an updated screenshot as I continue to work on the next release :

As you can see from the HUD I've implemented a shop system which allows you to spend your points on pre-set items.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 06:03:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 06:03:28