Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Happy Chick - Flappy Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 13:25 Edited at: 21st Mar 2014 11:57
As our first Happy Chick game (Happy Chick - Platform Game) has taken off quite well (on Android at least), we thought about creating a series of Happy Chick Adventures.

Our newest game, 'Happy Chick - Flying Game' is the 2nd Game in this series. In this game, you need to navigate Chick through some challenging levels by flapping his wings (tapping). Each level contains 3 Golden Eggs, which have been placed in difficult spots. Collecting them is not mandatory, however collecting enough will eventually open up additional worlds/levels.

It is currently avaialble on Google Play, link below.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.happychickflyinggame

And iOS, link below.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/happy-chick-flying-game/id827992293?ls=1&mt=8

Comments suggestions always welcome...

Screen Shots:

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great! Will download tonight or tomorrow and let you know. May you have equal success to that horrendously thrown together Flappy Bird game that's suddenly raking in millions!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 12:07 Edited at: 7th Feb 2014 12:08
I'd be lying if I said we didn't get the inspiration from Flappy Bird. But in all honesty, it took me a matter of hours to convert the exiting Happy Chick to this game as the framework/media was already there. We thought we may as well jump on the bandwagon and see how it goes...

I'm amazed how well Flappy Bird has done! Did you know its making 50k a day in Ad Revenue? It's not like its a new concept or anything, this has been done hundreds of times before. It just goes to show how valuable media attention is...

Now I just need to find a willing celebrity to tweet about Happy Chick lol
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded and left a quick review, great game! I'll have to play again on one of my nicer Androids, my old Touchpad had some lag but that's not uncommon with any app. It's absolutely insane how much money Flappy Bird is making for a 2-3 day development project.
One of the direct clones someone made of it, Clumsy Bird, is also #20 top free charts with 1-5 million downloads in just a few days. CRAZY!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I wonder if the developer of Flappy Bird is telling the truth, he said he'll be removing the app from the stores tomorrow. If so I can't help but wonder if Nintendo din't send a ceise and desist or if he fears they might so is taking it down so soon. Either way he'll still continue making great money from all the tens of millions who still have it installed.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 09:35
Quote: "I wonder if the developer of Flappy Bird is telling the truth, he said he'll be removing the app from the stores tomorrow. If so I can't help but wonder if Nintendo din't send a ceise and desist or if he fears they might so is taking it down so soon. Either way he'll still continue making great money from all the tens of millions who still have it installed. "

From what I've heard it's due to internet hate and death treats. Because the game is so hard people are hating it. But it's the hottest game on the market due to all the publicity. Who knows what is true.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 02:29 Edited at: 10th Feb 2014 02:32
Hmm, I see you've now updated the title of this game to literally be "Flappy Bird" on Google Play. I'm sure that will rake in tons of downloads since the dev took his down (you already have 405 reviews) but that seems pretty dishonest IMHO.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 03:34 Edited at: 10th Feb 2014 03:34
Man that game's getting a lot of installs!

497 ratings and 705 G+1's

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 04:22
You'd made a game with more substance and deeper gameplay, which is cool. That said, you are totally profiting from Dong Nguyen's misfortune by changing the name to Flappy Bird. Not super ethical.

ZacDuff.com
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 08:15 Edited at: 10th Feb 2014 16:27
Agreed on both counts...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 08:27
More interesting and slightly easier than the original. I'm getting very tired of the music though I was searching for Flappy Bird and this one didn't show up. Actually found another one called Flappy Bird. Had to use your link. It won't do as well as the original, nor will any of the others. None is getting the publicity of the original, most have already played the original and there is now a ton of clones.

Funny thing. One of the clones had a comment. Asking why they had removed Flappy Bird because the new game was bad

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 09:25
Did you pull it or was it removed...?

I get a 404

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 14:59
Quote: "Did you pull it or was it removed...?

I get a 404"

I wouldn't be surprised if Google removed it after changing the name to Flappy Bird. If they didn't then they should have. That was effectively trying to cheat users and a pretty low thing to do.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 05:53 Edited at: 11th Feb 2014 05:59
Quote: "I wouldn't be surprised if Google removed it after changing the name to Flappy Bird. If they didn't then they should have. That was effectively trying to cheat users and a pretty low thing to do.
"

Yeah, he had to submit an entirely new app with a slightly different bundle identifier rather than just updating the title again, thus implying that Google removed the unscrupulously titled app.

Sorry Funnell7, but even if you now agree it was a shady tactic (likely only because Google banned it), the fact that you consciously decided to 100% steal the name of Nguyen's game as soon as he removed his, to make quick bank off of his fortune/misfortune, made me completely lose respect for you as a developer. It was a tremendously sleazy move, although undoubtedly it netted you many tens of thousands of downloads in a hurry (given the 1000+ ratings and G+ recommendations in a few hours time when I last looked at it, up from like 5-6 when I played it shortly beforehand when it was the original title). I won't be installing nor reviewing your reuploaded version.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 07:19
Looks like the offending app was taken down, and has since gone back up as Happy Chick - Flappy Game. To be fair, we all make mistakes, and I'd be more than happy to forget about it. It can be hard to say no to a quick buck!

Get back in here Funnell7 and let us know what's up! No-one's going to crucify you

ZacDuff.com
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 11:34
I haven't gone anywhere, I just wanted to let everyone have there say before responding to all the comments. I cannot argue with anything which has been said, in hindsight this was, and I quote 'pretty dishonest', 'not super ethical', and 'pretty low' amongst other things. But at the time, it was very much spur of the moment, I didn't think of it as any of these things, I merely saw it as an opportunity to use a name which was no longer in use and therefore fair game. This was a mistake on our part which we regret.

The app was duefully suspended and our subsequent attempt to load the app back up with the previous name has since been suspended again. So we have only ourselves to blame.

I haven't come on here to try and justify what we did and I suspect we will be crucified, but we just wanted to give you our side of it as I really enjoy AppGameKit, both developing games and as a community and would hate to think this has jeopardised any of it.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 18:34
I'm not sure how many people could have resisted the temptation to do what you did when looking at the revenue flappy bird was making. I would like to think I would not have done it since it is pretty sneaky and you are basically trying to fool your own customers, but I may have not have been able to resist either

People do much worse things so don't beat yourself up about it

victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
Honestly I too probably would have had trouble resisting such an easy move for increased recognition but I suppose subconsciously I wasn't tempted enough to do so on my educational clone (also posted here and I'll be releasing the source soon as I clean it up to our community here. )
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 00:24
Don't worry about it, let bygones be bygones.

Good luck with your future app development

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 00:40
Good on you Funnell7 for coming clean. You aren't a bad person, you haven't done anything horrible, you just made a mistake. It's all good. Learn from it, and make more games! I actually didn't mind your version, but it could use a bit more polish with the art assets

Keep making good apps, you are a valued member of the AppGameKit community.

ZacDuff.com
HOVERFLY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 16:29
It's very reassuring to read this thread.

The criticisms are fair and don't sound hateful. It's great that Funnell7 has been open and learned from the experience. Then the subsequent positive responses, especially from the old guard, are encouraging, to all of us. Seems like there are genuinely nice people here.

As a new member (been visiting the site for years, gleaning info, but never posted) it's a welcoming sight. Kudos points all round for steering away from the politics and focusing on the creativity!
[^_^]

de gustibus non est disputandem
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 16:38
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 21:52 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 21:52
Veni, Vidi, Fauci
(I came, I saw, I flapped)

Bad call but time to move on and get writing cool games again. I mean, who here hasn't called themselves Susan just to get into an Ann Summers party?

Well done for admitting it was an error of judgement. Now get back to Wordspionage for a rematch

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 04:19
I'm pretty amazed Google took it down, there are so many games that blatantly copy other game names.
I don't blame you for capitalizing on the Flappy Bird game. That's how capitalism works.
I'd call if Fappy Chick, but that might be "inappropriate"

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 17:41 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2014 17:41
Quote: "I'd call if Flappy Chick"

We tried, lol... Anything with the name 'Flappy' is getting rejected by both Google Play and Apple. We've had to settle with 'Happy Chick - Flying Game' (if a Mod sees this, please can you change the title). Not quite the same, but at least its on there now...

It looks like we made the Newsletter this month too (albeit, acclaimed to Easter Bunny lol).
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm. I wonder how their rejection process works, because there are still countless 'flappy' games out there on Android and iOS (including 'Flappy Wings' which remains one of the most downloaded free games on iOS). Also, I didn't mean to sound so harsh in my last post--I really liked your implementation it was just the name change that felt wrong to me.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 11:54
Well that was hard work!! But we finally got there... Happy Chick - Flying Game is now available on iOS...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/happy-chick-flying-game/id827992293?ls=1&mt=8

Apples review process takes around 8 days (at least this did) and we were rejected twice! The first time was because we had failed to lock the orientation to landscape during launch, this meant that if you held the device in portrait the app would display this way until the device was moved to landscape (although once the device had moved to the correct orientation it would remain locked in place). And when you get rejected, the entire process starts again!

The second rejection was due to the fact they initially saw it as another Flappy Bird clone. After appealing this rejection and explaining that although the control scheme is the same, the game itself is very different (level concept, collectables etc etc) they have overturned their decision and have now approved the app

It looks like all stores are cracking down on Flappy clones as we had the exact same experience with SlideMe (initial rejection followed by a successful appeal).

Any way, Happy Days!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 16:12
Congrats! iOS is tough, but I like that you can actually talk to them about things. I'm not sure if you can do that with Google when they decline an app. I know it is hard to contact them with other matters.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 23:31
Yeah, to be fair, although the approval process on iOS is painful, I definitely appreciate that you can actually talk to someone when things go pear shaped... Google is diabolical from a Developer Support perspective, all just automated emails!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2014 15:18
Quote: "Yeah, to be fair, although the approval process on iOS is painful, I definitely appreciate that you can actually talk to someone when things go pear shaped... Google is diabolical from a Developer Support perspective, all just automated emails! "

Could have something to do with Apple charging an annual fee and Google does not Good luck with the game!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 22:00:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 22:00:28