Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Hover car race challenge accepted [full game for windows and android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2014 17:27 Edited at: 25th Mar 2014 17:20
Hover Car Race Challenge Accepted!

Race to the finish line in the fastest time possible.

Features:
- 3 cars
- 6 tracks
- no brakes

Hover Car Race Challenge Accepted! is a simple racing game of the player versus the clock.

Windows version - release 1
- This is the full release of the game but if anyone has any issues with please let me know

- Controls
-- Turn
--- move mouse left and right like a joy stick
---- i.e. move left to turn left and then move back to the "mid point" to straighten up.
-- Thrust
--- There are two modes: "crusie control off" (defaut) and "cruise control on"
---- With cruise control off, press and hold the left mouse button.
---- With cruise control on, press and release the left mouse button to toggle thrust on and off
-- Speed boost
--- press and hold space bar
- Pause race
--- press control key
- Brake
-- there isn't a brake. Why would you want to go slower? You don't get a fast time by going slow.

Android version - beta 2
EDIT 25 march 2013
replaced beta 1 with beta 2 in the download. The main change is that the cars have been slowed down to make the game more playable.

- This is fully playable, fully featured and looks exactly like the video and the images but there are a few issues that need to be ironed out so I'm calling it a beta. There are more details in the readme and some feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
- the debug APK was created using Automate 2.0

- Controls
-- Turn
--- tilt device left and right like a steering wheel
-- Thrust
--- There are two modes: "cruise control off" (defaut) and "cruise control on"
---- With cruise control off, press and hold the left side of screen.
---- With cruise control on, tap left side of screen to toggle thrust on and off
-- Speed boost
--- press and hold right side of screen
- Pause game
--- tap centre of screen
- Brake
-- there isn't a brake. Why would you want to go slower? You don't get a fast time by going slow.

I'd like to thank Easter Bunny for creating and sharing Automate. This really helped speed up the production of the android version as I don't have wi-fi at home so can't use the AppGameKit player.

Have fun and drive fast!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2014 14:41
Very nice, I like the way it banks as you turn.
Maybe you could make a "simple" version to enter into the Community Competition?

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2014 16:40
Thanks. In the tablet version, the rolling camera actually makes the track stay horizontal.

I was thinking about doing an endless version of this for the competition but I think I want to do something different (whether for the competition or just as a new project, I know not).

I have to admit that I didn't properly play test the android version of this and, after two solid hours of pin-balling down the track (giving myself a headache and eye strain in the process), I had to concede that it wasn't working (I had assumed that with a bit of practice I would get better) so this is my first priority. I've already tweaked the red car and can now burn round the track without touching the sides (you never actually crash) so I'm confident this can be resolved.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2014 19:12
Looks really nice

Have you thought about adding some smoothing to the camera?

Would it be possible to create something with elevation instead of flat tracks? I think that would make the game look a bit more interesting.

Another thought is to put something on the track that the player can collect. That would increase the challenge. And then you can score and rank the player afterwards, to add extra replayability.

Some interesting skyboxes/backgrounds could also spice up the game. Especially useful as a way to attract new players.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 14:50
Thanks for the comments.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, although I think the lack of a smooth camera may have more to do with the video capture than the game itself.

The reason the game is light on features was that it was supposed to made in a month, as part of NaGaCreMo. I missed the deadline by five weeks but decided to keep to the same plan. I'd just finished a larger project (Purple Complex) in December so didn't relish getting bogged down in feature creep for this.

Also, I wasn't sure how well it would work on my tablet so keeping the model as simple as possible was important. I get noticeable slowdown when going under the tunnels. I'm guessing that's a fill rate issue.

I have some other projects I want to work on so don't really want to spend too much time on this, although I am still tweaking the android version which I'll hopefully upload tomorrow.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2014 17:23
Finally got around to updating the Android version:

I've slowed the car down (boo) but increased the effect and during of the speed boost (yay) so now the game is a lot more playable.

I've also added a permanent option for turning off the custom shader, if nothing else this should help anyone who is getting low frame rates.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll have to try it out when I get the chance Just wanted to mention, you said the camera rotates relative to the accelerometer: I've found the update rate is insufficient to really have acceptable game play. Usually, you can set the update rate in android via some presets, but AppGameKit doesn't give us access to them (since platform specific commands are low priority). I'm unsure of the update rates on other platforms, but if FPS isn't your issue, that's what is.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2014 23:42
Thanks for trying my game, did it work alright?

I got the controls working perfectly on my tablet, slowing the cars down did the trick. I just think it's easier to play with a mouse than tilty screen controls.

It is a bit iffy on my phone, the accelerometer only seems to measure in 10 degree increments or so, which could be attributed to the rate it's updating.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:57:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:57:33