Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Nexus Competition Entry - Chicken Run by JammySoft

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 14:22 Edited at: 2nd May 2014 00:06

Chicken Run by JammySoft is a game I am creating for the Nexus Competition.

It is, in no way, a cheep knockoff of Temple Run!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imangi.templerun

Now Available On The Google Play Store here....

To Do List

Choose game type and test concept.
Design modular level parts which can randomly join together to make one infinite level.
Make chicken jump and duck.
Make obstacles.
Make Scoring system
Make collectables (Corn and Eggs) for points and power ups.
Make More modular levels
Make sounds.
Make music.
Make Start menu with options and score-board.
Make tutorial level.
Make chicken look better.
Make some sort of animations.
Create better level tiles.
Create background
Alpha Demo
Make online high score system.
Implement the AppGameKit Community Ad system.
Beta Demo.
Add Polish.
Submit game.

My published AppGameKit titles can be found on the Google Play Store here

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 14:49 Edited at: 10th Mar 2014 14:50
Week 1

Concept

You are a chicken and you have to run from a flood or fox or both. Collect Corn and Eggs for points and power ups. Keep on the track and avoid holes and obstacles. The level will be modular, which will make it different every time you play.

Language choice

It is 3D so DarkBasic pro would look the best. However the control method is all swipes and tilts and I have just bought a nice new Factory Refurbished Nexus 7 (2012 version). So I decided on AGK. I might move to AGK2 if it updates sufficiently before the competition ends. I am hopeful that the concept, although ambitious, should pan out. I have broke the first rule of entering these competitions, KEEP IT SIMPLE and I hope I can complete it before the deadline.

Progress

So far I have made 1 modular part of the level, Made a 3D chicken, implemented tilt and swipe commands to move the chicken and it works great on my Nexus 7.

Screenshot

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 23:24 Edited at: 16th Mar 2014 23:29
Week2

I have had quite a productive week.

I now have 3 modular level parts, which are randomly chosen and repeat infinitely. The join is not as smooth as I would like and I will fix that during the polish phase, if I have time.

I have created much better level tiles, Including holes to avoid and banners to duck under. Again, more could be done and if time is available during the polish phase this could be a job, Though they don't look that bad.

The chicken now ducks and jumps. This works great on the nexus with slide commands, however it doesn't translate as well to the PC Keyboard. (It works, just not as much fun!)

I have changed the code to increase performance and it runs very smooth.

Well here are a few more screenshots.

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 23:38
Great progress jammy.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 22:30 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2014 22:33
Week 3

Thanks Cliff, Still a long way to go. With all the great looking, polished entries, I still have my work cut out to achieve a comparable standard.

This week I have

Introduced collectables - Corn and Eggs.

The chicken now dies, falls off the platform or crashes into signs.

Made a scoring system.

Made In-game music.

Tweaked some game-play elements like speed.

Tidied up my code.

I am really only not happy with the transition between modular map parts and this will need looked at before polishing the game.

I had also looked at online high score systems and had dismissed it as too time consuming for the competition. However, I see this will be a feature in the next news letter and will study that before dismissing the idea totally.

More screenshots.

Attachments

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2014 17:41
Looks fun - any chance of a video?

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2014 16:07 Edited at: 25th Mar 2014 16:32
Week 3 and Two Sevenths

I have now Created a tutorial and 10 Map segments. The join between segments is a bit better but still needs some work.

Here are a couple of videos for you, poor quality am afraid, But you should get the idea of what is happening. The game runs smoother than the impression you get from the videos

The Pc Version

The Android version

I am going to EGX Rezzed this weekend so will not be able to put an update till later next week. Anyone From TGC going ?

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 01:01 Edited at: 28th Mar 2014 01:04
Week 3 and four sevenths

Have made a start on the front end (still to add instruction, high-score and option screens). Updated chicken - it is now animated. Added water to background. Added sounds. Hope to have a playable demo soon.

Just time for a few updated screenshots...

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 18:48 Edited at: 1st Apr 2014 19:55
One month down, one to go -
FIND DEMO ATTACHED TO THIS POST

Back from EGX Rezzed, Had good fun and got to try some great, and some not so great games. The highlights for me were getting to use an Oculus Rift for the first time and seeing how Indi Creators seem to be embracing it. I know FPSC2 will support it and I hope DBP and even AGK2 will consider support.

Games I liked were Alien Isolation which takes fear and atmosphere in games to a whole new level and Dying Light Which has a fantastic free movement system.

However, I digress I am going to be busy with work commitments over the next couple of weeks, so may not get time for updates to Chicken Run.

I decided now would be the best time to post a demo, giving people some time to post feedback before I try and finish the game by the end of the month.

It is Android only at the moment and can be considered an Alpha Version.

HighScore, Instructions and Option buttons don't work and are only placeholders.

Controls are -

Tilt left and right - strafe left and right.
Swipe up - Jump
Swipe down - Duck
Swipe right - Turn Right
Swipe left - Turn Left

I would like to know -

1) The device tested on ?(I have tried a Galaxy S4 and Nexus 7 so far, it runs smooth on them.)
2) How It felt - Smooth, jittery, other ?
3) Your High Score - You will need to remember this as table not implemented yet.
4) The "Goldilocks Horizon" ?(Was it too hard to easy or just right ?
5) Any Bugs or issues found ?, I know of some things, But due to time restraints it would be nice to know what users felt were the issues.
6) Is It Fun - What can be done to make it more fun ?(I like it)
7) What You like and what you don't like ?
8) Anything Else you would like to mention ? Post a Screenshot ?

Hope you find the time to try and reply. All comments appreciated.

FIND DEMO ATTACHED TO THIS POST

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 10:56
Just 7 days to go before the competition closing date.
Make sure your entries are posted here with the relevant information.
Good luck!

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2014 00:22 Edited at: 2nd May 2014 00:24
T-1 day

As expected work has kept me very busy over the last few weeks and finding the time to complete this project has been hard. However I have managed most of my wish-list. There are some things I would do differently and some bugs that could be ironed out. If the game is well received I may find the time to do that. There are many improvements which I can make.

Overall I am Happy with my entry. The Android version really is good fun and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store HERE

There has been an amazing response to this competition and it has been very heartening to see the progress of the entries. Hope the judges can find the time to do a wee review of each of them.

Here is a video of Chicken Run in action

and here are some screenshots from the final submitted entry.

Anyway good luck everyone and thanks to TGC for another mighty competition. Hope to see you all at the next one.

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2014 13:24 Edited at: 5th Jul 2014 13:25
As the competition was nearing an end, my computer started playing up. Not long after closing it finally broke and it has taken me until now to get it fixed.

Also soon after submission the android version of chicken run stopped working if you were online. I managed to postpone the publication on Google play when I noticed, but don't think it was working properly for the review.

LIFE with PCs

My PC was fixed yesterday and the game fixed today. The problem was I had an array set at ten and Phaelax had increased the size available on his online score system to 15 - so it crashed.

All fixed now.

Thanks again for another FAB competition.

Nice to see you managed a wee review of everyone.

Last but not least, congratulations to Mark Harrison.

Will see you all next time.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 16:50:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 16:50:01