Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Open Source]Kayak: Escape!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 21:52 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 03:01

Download On Google Play

Kayak: A.T.A.S.
(placeholder...everyone's doing it! )

After much brain storming and several pints I've finally come up with hopefully a unique design for this competition. Definitely a break away from the other entry's I've seen so far. It's a game where you control a Kayak by rhythmic tapping. I'm finishing up the placeholders and will get those in my dirty engine. Screenshots soon![img]null[/img]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 06:22
Blast! Yours may beat mine with pure style!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 12:15
It where one of the demands

Post a wip thread

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 20:07
Cool! What does ATAS stand for?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 15:54 Edited at: 19th Mar 2014 19:01
Simplifying the concept. Was starting to build this way more complicated than it should be. Changing up the title and tweaking the design just a bit. Still the same control scheme. Reworking some graphics than I'll post some in-game shots.

Quote: "Cool! What does ATAS stand for?"

Originally; Across Time and Space. I was going for a time traveling sort of game, but was getting way to complex with the design. So taking it down to the basics.

Edited with a gameplay image. Still lots to do, finish animations, rewards, scoring, blah...

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 15:45
As always, I like the art style! Interested to see how the rhythm mechanics all fit into it.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 10:56
Just 7 days to go before the competition closing date.
Make sure your entries are posted here with the relevant information.
Good luck!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 16:10
Been working on my entry all week. Get ready for some competition!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 20:35
Need testers! Want to get the control scheme down perfect. I think that learning curve/slash difficulty curve is all I have left to really get down perfectly. Make or break the gameplay!

Looking for a few people with android phones that are versed in installing apk files. You'll be given a barebones version, no animations and only on-screen objects that are needed. I can wip up a PC version too with cursor controls if needed.

Thanks guys!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 00:13 Edited at: 25th Apr 2014 00:14
I get this odd gap when scrolling these sprites...

Code:

Any ideas how to fix this?

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 00:27 Edited at: 25th Apr 2014 00:28
If your virtual resolution is different to physical resolution, W_Acc# may be out by a pixel where the value is close to #.5

I'd love to test, but as a judge that wouldn't be allowed

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 00:55 Edited at: 25th Apr 2014 00:56
I think you're losing part of the sprite position if it goes above 150. If you increase the y position from 149 to 153 in one frame, you just set it to -50, losing those three pixels and getting offset. Try adjusting the -50 by the difference between the sprite's actual y position and 150 (or, rather than setting the position to -50, just subtract 200 from it).

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 03:05 Edited at: 25th Apr 2014 03:07
Quote: "I'd love to test, but as a judge that wouldn't be allowed "

Yeah I guess that would be cheating.

Quote: "I think you're losing part of the sprite position if it goes above 150. If you increase the y position from 149 to 153 in one frame, you just set it to -50, losing those three pixels and getting offset. Try adjusting the -50 by the difference between the sprite's actual y position and 150 (or, rather than setting the position to -50, just subtract 200 from it)."

I don't know why I didn't think of this, I do it all the time in other programs...worked perfectly.

It's strange when testing, on PC everything seems washed out and pixelated. But on my gf's tablet and my Droid Mini, the colors are so vibrant and awesome. AA looks really good too.

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 18:58 Edited at: 5th Aug 2014 05:29
I missed the compo because of work, but I'm still finishing this game. It's nearly complete, looking into online high scoring and was going to add a small ad on the bottom but ran into difficulties. Is there any trick to being approved for admob for just apps? They want a website when you signup which doesn't make sense if you just want to do ads for apps.

Another urk is Google Drive! I work on this project with two different computers, depending where I am, and for some reason it doesn't want to update my files on my home machine. :/ Guess I'll need to keep a flash drive or something...

Here's a progress screen. Goal is to release by Tuesday.

Attachments

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 20:32
That's odd about admod I don't think I supplied a website, I just signed in with my Google account.

Regarding the drive, I'd move to drop box it works great for me and I'm on 4 machines

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 21:18
Well that was weird...I resigned into admob and it worked. :/

I have drop box, I'll try that. Thanks.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2014 00:26 Edited at: 1st Jul 2014 02:00
Nevermind, admob doesn't work again...sigh. This is getting frustrating.

Edit: Got it working! Such a headache. Added it to my Pocket Coin app to test it out, works great!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 05:28 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 03:51
New Images! Almost done, everything works. Just need to add the leader board, difficulty setting and polish animations...and text, forgot that.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 12:24
Awesome graphics as always

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 19:26 Edited at: 5th Aug 2014 19:28
Thanks!

Finally got a decent font into the game. Need to work out spacing, but I like it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to smooth out the text? It shouldn't look so pixelated, this was taken directly from my phone. I've never had pixelation problems on my phone, ever.

Shadows? The AGk Font demo showed caste shadows, I don't see a command for that or any of the other different effects.

Next on the list is to get the highscores / leaderboards working for each difficulty setting.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 03:28
Quote: "Does anyone know if there's a way to smooth out the text? It shouldn't look so pixelated, this was taken directly from my phone. I've never had pixelation problems on my phone, ever."

Are you sizing up the font a lot? If it's a small font being resized it'll look pixelated.

Quote: "Shadows? The AGk Font demo showed caste shadows, I don't see a command for that or any of the other different effects."

Just a guess, but probably they just made two versions of the same text, the normal one and a black, semi-transparent one offset from the normal one. That method works, anyway.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 03:40 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 03:44
Quote: "Are you sizing up the font a lot? If it's a small font being resized it'll look pixelated."

It stays the same size, only really noticeable with the bigger text. The text is decent size, I purchased the pack from TGC and their demo program didn't have any odd pixelation. I've used low-res images before for sprites and my phone has always applied an AA effect, giving it an almost vector look. This is the first time I've ever had this problem.

Difficulty settings are completed. You now have to get at least a bronze metal in the previous diff setting to unlock the next one up. The final difficulty setting has been made 'screen punchingly' difficult.

Take a look at Ludicrous Difficulty(some older peps will get the Easter egg ):

Probably the most difficult screenshot I've ever taken with my phone! I have to press the power button and volume down button at the same time to take a shot, while at the same time trying to navigate the kayak. The split second after taking this shot I crashed because that one single nano-second it showed the grabbed image was enough to mess me up.

Decided to add a trophy room next. Something so you can view all your high scores and metals earned. Kayak animation, than last but not least, getting the dang leader boards working. Decided to go with 3 separate ones, one for each difficulty setting.

I'd also like to get some testers to try the game out. Though this will be released on Android, I'll add cursor controls for testing, unless I can make a test apk file, not sure how to do that as I've never done it before. If there's some volunteers let me know!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 09:46
Sounds like the filtering is turned off. Try using one of these, can't remember which one is for enlarging.

SetTextDefaultMagFilter
SetTextDefaultMinFilter

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 04:54 Edited at: 8th Aug 2014 04:54
Thanks, I'll have to try those commands. Wording is weird, but it looks like it's suppose to smooth out all the text onscreen.

Been having my kids test the game today, the two oldest wouldn't put it down and it took me several attempts to just get their attention... I'm taking that as a good sign!

I've started to add more and more and want to get some opinions on the main menu screen. Does this look too crowded or does it look ok? I have a small screen and don't have trouble selecting the buttons.

My kids came up with some really good ideas to improve the game so I'm going to implement those. Medal room to view medals earned and high scores/leader boards. Easy mode has "paddle" images to help you learn to paddle the kayak, lol. Last was player stats, keep track of how many times paddled, crashed, medals earned, distanced traveled, etc.

Thanks!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 12:21
You can alter default settings for both sprites and text as well as individual objects. For RTA these are turned off for the pixelated look.

Doesn't look too cluttered. Would put the start button slightly higher myself.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 21:11
Thanks, I'll play around with settings.

New Stat page:

Back Button added and increased spacing because you could accidentally hit the wrong button:

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 17:12
Oh, something to consider - you should make sure you can use the standard Android Back button (at least) in your app. People expect to be able to go back to the main menu or out of a menu with the Back button no matter the app, and frequently expect the menu button work as well where applicable.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 18:13 Edited at: 9th Aug 2014 18:21
Quote: "Oh, something to consider - you should make sure you can use the standard Android Back button (at least) in your app. People expect to be able to go back to the main menu or out of a menu with the Back button no matter the app, and frequently expect the menu button work as well where applicable."

I was thinking about that because I've been hitting the back button myself while testing and than realizing, doh! I haven't programmed that in yet...Put on the to-do list! Thanks!

Small update, easy mode now helps you learn to play.

Stupid question...how do I check for back button pressed?

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 20:25
Quote: "Stupid question...how do I check for back button pressed? "

Scan Code 27 (GetRawKeyPressed(27))...
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 23:28
Ah, wasn't aware the scancode worked on android, just pc. Thanks!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2014 15:49
Animated Kayak'er finally completed and in-game.

Leader boards is the last thing to do! Than I'm done! Exciting. Will be my second app on google play, not to mention an actual game!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 01:58
Uploaded to google play! Hasn't become available yet, I'll let you know when it does.

Time for a pint.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:00
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:01 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 03:33
Download On Google Play

Finally on the store!

Well this is butt...I downloaded to test and none of the text works...the font is from TGC. I have no idea how to fix this as everything worked perfectly in testing...

Alright did a quick bug fix...hopefully it works. Just reverted back to default font...blah. Need to figure out why the font image doesn't work on android. Also added back button = exit on main menu.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:51
Quote: "Need to figure out why the font image doesn't work on android."

What? Did you even test on Android before uploading?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 04:11
Yup. Tested on my Droid Mini. Worked perfectly. Upload to google play and downloaded it...bugged out.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 04:31
Hmm. Well, AFAIK the Droid Mini is a less common (and older) phone, so maybe try to find some other devices to test on also?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 04:45
Update is now online. Will fix the fonts for now...

I don't see why they shouldn't work though...The font and text file are included in the media folder. Strange bug.

yamyam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 13:14
Just downloaded on my Nexus7 and the graphics look amazing. The little Kayak took a little getting used to the controls, with the right paddle sending the kayak left and visa versa.

Well i managed a score of 30 after many attempts and the game reminds me of a vertical flappy bird. Having crashed quite a few times, i wanted just one more go.

One of the big selling points of flappy bird was, you could hit one key for another go immediately, with kayak escape we have to press for highscore press for main menu press for easy etc. Four times before we can have another bash.

Could you add a retry button after showing the scoreboard , so we can start with the same settings and only show the highscore table and all the other menus when someone gets an highscore or goes back to the main menu, this will make it more appealing in my opinion.

Great little game will rate it five on Google play, maybe a rate button on the main menu would be a good idea to get more ratings.

Good luck with the game.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 14:28 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 18:06
Quote: "Could you add a retry button after showing the scoreboard , so we can start with the same settings and only show the highscore table and all the other menus when someone gets an highscore or goes back to the main menu, this will make it more appealing in my opinion."

This is a great idea! Didn't even think about it. I'll add that to the next update.

Quote: "Great little game will rate it five on Google play, maybe a rate button on the main menu would be a good idea to get more ratings"

Also a great idea

Glad you liked the game. About the controls, if you've ever been kayaking, when you paddle on the right you move/rotate left and when paddling on the left you move/rotate right. So it sorta simulates kayaking but with an arcade twist.

One thing I wanted to do was not hold the player's hand and just throw them into the gameplay. The paddles are there in easy mode so you at least have an idea where to press the screen. The next two difficulties do not have the 'easy paddles'.

Edit: Added. Update 1.5 on route....I really need better testing next time, yarp.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 20:28 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 20:31
Game looks good, the controls are great

I don't think you should have multiple difficulties for such a simple game, rather just ramp up the difficulty over time. Easy was really boring on my 3rd try and by then I had forgotten about the other 2 difficulties. You don't want people to stop playing after a minute. This game has a nice addictive quality while playing on hard!

The music is repetitive so I had to turn it off. After hitting replay the add covers up the top of the screen while playing. And I was unable to enter my name. Probably AGK's fault because I'm not using the standard keyboard. The control paddles wasn't visible on hard. Also I quite often had 4-5 of the same holes to go through in a row, I think you should limit this in code to like 2 max.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 04:42
Quote: "I don't think you should have multiple difficulties for such a simple game, rather just ramp up the difficulty over time. Easy was really boring on my 3rd try and by then I had forgotten about the other 2 difficulties. You don't want people to stop playing after a minute. This game has a nice addictive quality while playing on hard!"

This first version was like that, only one difficulty setting, got harder as you played...problem was my daughter couldn't play, or at least get very far. So I added those to make it sorta fair lol. I might actually get rid of the 'unlock' conditions, so all three area available at first start up.

Quote: "The music is repetitive so I had to turn it off."

I have an actual track, the music currently is a sample piece of the track, just waiting to get my commercial license to use it.

Quote: "After hitting replay the add covers up the top of the screen while playing."

This was fixed in the latest patch and will fix that. I have ads hidden during actual gameplay, don't want that distraction and having it cover the top would delay your response to obstacles, which would be pretty evil and annoying.

Quote: "And I was unable to enter my name. Probably AGK's fault because I'm not using the standard keyboard. "

What do you mean? :/ I'm using the input commands in agk, I've only tested on my phone and pc though.

Quote: "The control paddles wasn't visible on hard."

Not suppose to be lol. The paddles are there on easy mode so you know where to press the screen.

Quote: " Also I quite often had 4-5 of the same holes to go through in a row, I think you should limit this in code to like 2 max."

Actually I already have it setup so it doesn't repeat more that twice...I might have messed something up in one of my updates, I'll have to check. Thanks!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 09:50
Quote: " I might actually get rid of the 'unlock' conditions, so all three area available at first start up."

I think that's a good idea, and perhaps rename Expert as Normal?

Quote: "What do you mean? :/ I'm using the input commands in agk, I've only tested on my phone and pc though."

I have Swiftkey installed on my phone, probably the most popular keyboard on Android. When pressing the keys nothing happens. IIRC AppGameKit doesn't work with Swiftkey.

Quote: "Not suppose to be lol. The paddles are there on easy mode so you know where to press the screen."

I guessed that was the case, but thought I should mention it anyway.

I have downloaded the update and will try it later.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 10:45
Quote: "I have Swiftkey installed on my phone, probably the most popular keyboard on Android. When pressing the keys nothing happens. IIRC AppGameKit doesn't work with Swiftkey."

It doesn't play well with Touch Pal X either. However it does work with Touch Pal if you turn predictive text off. << Go figure

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 14:38
Quote: "I think that's a good idea, and perhaps rename Expert as Normal?"

Ya, I'm going to do this next update, makes sense.

About the input bug, I wouldn't even know where to begin without having to write my own onscreen input. Any suggestions or am I just sol? lol

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 15:35
Quote: "About the input bug, I wouldn't even know where to begin without having to write my own onscreen input. Any suggestions or am I just sol? lol"

Not sure if it's possible to somehow use an edit box for this. Other than that it's either make your own keyboard or ask Paul to fix this. It really should be fixed but I don't think there's enough people requesting it at the moment. Might be hard to get it working before Paul is done with the current v2 roadmap though.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 15:36
Naphier has an online highscore list but he is using a webpage for that. Maybe that's a possible solution?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 21:53
Funnell7's Rocket Run can read input from my keyboard. I think he uses an edit box. Can't get capitals to work though.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 15:52
Update uploaded. Will unlock all modes on startup and should fix the log rnd bug. I'm still looking into edit box. Probably won't get to that update until next week.

yamyam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 16:35
Updated my version Moondog

Noticed the rate button on the main menu, that will make it easier for players to give ratings.

The big one for me is, the retry button for an instant just another go, this is a big plus for the game, nice one.

With entering high scores text issue, i had many players telling me the input box froze on my TRAX game, so i wrote a routine where you move arrows up and down for each letter then click done. that may be another option. you can see it working in my TRAX thread.

If i get time i will try to untangle it from my game, as a stand alone function, and post it on the forum, it may be of use to others.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:48:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:48:23