Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / CH-47 Chinook Helicopter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 10:40
The CH-47 Chinook helicopter is and has been one of the most recognisable aircraft on the battlefield for the last fifty years. From its unmistakable twin rotor design to its booming rotor slap sound, everything about this impressive helicopter has made it an icon; one that continues to stand the test of time.

It seemed only logical then that FPSC could do with one. Although I was able to track down another Chinook model for FPSC (in the Modern Warfare Community pack), I had/have some very specific requirements for this helicopter for an upcoming project. Specifically, it needed to have both an accurate exterior and interior that the player can go inside.

To that end, I've spent quite a while modelling this:

It's come out a little higher poly than I originally intended but that's because the interior has had to be modelled as well (not that you can see it particularly well in this pic). And even though the game this is being made for will likely never get finished (because you know what I'm like with finishing games ), the Chinook will definitely be completed! And the plan is to release it to the community, perhaps through the store.

AE
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 18:44
Cool!

Don't waste your life
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 15:29
I'm interested to know what the poly count is on this beast.

Great looking model.

I would love to see the interior.

Cheers

Jay.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 18:16 Edited at: 28th Mar 2014 18:19
The poly count keeps changing to be honest. The finished model is about 11,000 faces. I exported it untextured just to check I can get it into FPSC and once in I realised FPSC can't/doesn't draw back faces. Because you can go inside this model, and because several parts of it were going to rely on flat, 2D, polygons to keep the count down, there's a few places where FPSC isn't drawing the model right. It looks like I'm going to have to duplicate a couple of bits in the model and flip their normal so FPSC will draw them correctly in-game.

...if that makes sense!?

I'm guessing the final poly count will be ~12,000.

Because of this, I'm probably going to be releasing a few variations, such as interior-only and exterior-only, which can be used as the user needs to keep the poly count down if they need to.

Here's a picture of the interior. I was getting really tight with polies here so it looks a little blocky, but the texture should help to smooth this out for the final model.

I'll post some wireframes soon

AE
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2014 04:37
Nice work Avenging Eagle.
I would very much like to see the finished worked.
Looks great so far
best

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2014 14:22
Wireframe time!

I've now exported the model and am in the process of UV mapping it for texturing. Until then, here's a couple of shots of the Chinook in wireframe.

Back/interior

AE
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 23:00
No replies? Hmm...this forum isn't what it used to be...

I'll let you in on a little secret though. These pictures are massively delayed. In reality, I finished the model weeks ago and have been hard at work on the texturing ever since. But you don't get to see that yet Instead, here's proof that the Chinook has been UV mapped.

AE
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 00:39
Avenging Eagle
Only a few left it seems? But still check daily.
As for the Chinook, WOW! Now that's what I call a UV map
Take my breath away, way too much for me to comprehend the
work put into this. Just how do you texture this? Also what
size is it...1024 or 2048?

kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 00:53
wow nice model! cant wait to see the finished product!
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 15:22 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2014 15:23
The UV map pictured is a 1024 export...but that's only to make it easier to see at lower resolutions. I've been working on the 4096 x 4096 "master" for about three weeks now. Naturally, that's meant working on a diffuse, bump and alpha map simultaneously. I'll also be tackling the specular map before the project is finished. This is without doubt the most complex object I've ever tried to UV map!

AE
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 15:58
Looking very nice there mate.

UV map looks like it's fun! Haha.

I am looking forward to seeing the finished model!

I usually find that the texture is the trickiest part!

Cheers

Jay.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2014 20:47
UPDATE:
Just wanted to reassure you forum-goers that, yes, I'm still working on this project. I've now been working on the texture for this Chinook for more than a month! It's close to being finished, just got a few fiddly bits that I've been putting off for a while. In the meantime, I did a test render with a work-in-progress version of the texture.

To make texturing easier, the model I exported only contained one of every mesh. The interior, for example, was modelled as a section that could be duplicated four times to create the finished interior space. Same with the red chairs (which I'm rather pleased with!). The UV mapped model only had one chair with one leg. Some cunning texture work and a bit of duplication later, the interior is ready for troops! It's just a pity FPSC's collision system is so buggy as I doubt I'll be able to get NPCs inside the model in-game if it's an entity.

Until next time...
AE
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
that looks awesome

Definatly something I never could do Go on.
This forum is not dead. We are just the last survivers. I heart a zombie apocalypse was in the forum. I said before all the zombie games arenĀ“t good for this forum

Corno_1

Games make the world better
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 02:56
Avenging Eagle
Fantastic work AE, you have a lot more patience than I do
Quote: "I doubt I'll be able to get NPCs inside the model in-game "

Yes, but if you can, you can say you did
best of luck

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 03:17
Very nice. It brings up some tough memories, but it looks great. Have you ever flown in one? It's kind of like traveling on a boat, rocking with the waves head to tail.
Can't wait to see it in action.

Brian.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 21:22:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 21:22:04