Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / copy bitmap bug?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When copying a loaded bitmap into another, something weird happens. When the size of the bitmap is 482x790 and you perform a copy bitmap where the size of the source image is greater then the destination image copy bitmap works as it should be. However when the size is e.g. the same, the screen remains blank.

Working Code:

OffscreenBitmapNumber=999
BitmapNumber=0

set window size 1280,960

load bitmap "Puzzles\anza.jpg",OffscreenBitmapNumber
if bitmap exists(OffscreenBitmapNumber)=1
copy bitmap OffscreenBitmapNumber,0,0,482,790,BitmapNumber,0,0,241,385
endif
set current bitmap BitmapNumber
wait key

Non-working code:
Only 1 line changed:
copy bitmap OffscreenBitmapNumber,0,0,482,790,BitmapNumber,0,0,482,790

Also when using the working line, the image displayed in the window is relatively sized to the window and not the size given in the command. Resulting in a larger or smaller image then it should be. Which probably is the cause of the forementioned problem.

System Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit sp1
Intel I5-3470 Quad core 3.2 GHz
16 Gb intern
MSI NVidia GT630 4GB driver:311.06
DB update level: 7.62

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 30th Mar 2014 13:54
Interesting bug report.

I've just done some tests and I'm fairly sure the problem is connected in some non obvious way with the window resolution used in your project settings.

I could reproduce your black screen whenever I used values where at least one dimension was larger than the window resolution set in the project.

For example, my default project setting is 640x480. Your code "works" (i.e. no black screen) if I use values such as

but I get the black screen as soon as I change that to

What seems to be happening is that your window is being interpreted as a bitmap with dimensions corresponding to your project settings - but the actual size on screen is measured in pixels relating to the desktop resolution. So, using my default settings with a window resolution of 640x480 the copy bitmap command seems to treat your 1280x960 sized window as a bitmap with size 640x480 and scales accordingly. Hence the following rescales the original 482x790 image to fill the window:

If I use the following instead I get a small black border on the right hand side and along the bottom:

Hope this makes sense.

This is probably not a bug - more likely just the way the commands work.

If I change the project window resolution to something else, say 1600x900, then the problems occur when the target bitmap width or height resolutions exceed 1600 or 900 respectively.

Powered by Free Banners
RFrijhoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 13:40 Edited at: 1st Apr 2014 15:58
You say that you could reproduce the problem when one dimension was larger than the window resolution set in the project. However, as you can see in my code, both horizontal as well as vertical size of both source and destination bitmap (482,792) are smaller then the window resolution (1280,960) so neither of the bitmaps are (physically) larger then the window resolution, still I got a blank screen.
It's probably because the virtual (by lack of a better description for it) size is bigger than the windows resolution after the copy.

I tried another picture e.g. with the size 125x83

Although the destination bitmap is now twice as big as the source bitmap (physically), it still works, because the picture still isn't scaled bigger (virtually) then the window resolution, while the physical dimensions are still smaller then the window resolution.
I tried to find any correlation, but no luck so far.

Unless I did misread your comment.

If this is really the way how the copy bitmap works, it is not how you expect it to work. I mean, if you have 2 identical buckets and one has water in it and when you pour the water into the other bucket, it's not logical to expect the water to expand causing the other bucket to overflow. Which basically happens here.

Update:
The problem seems to be caused by the load bitmap function and not the copy bitmap. When performing the following code:

The same problem occurs: black screen. Somehow the load bitmap function resizes the bitmap during loading, because the physical bitmap on disk is smaller then the window resolution and should therefore be displayed without any problems.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 16:01 Edited at: 1st Apr 2014 16:02
Quote: "smaller then the window resolution (1280,960)"

No, you've misunderstood. That is the window size not the window resolution. Read my post again.

Quote: "Unless I did misread your comment."

Yes, you have.

The window resolution is set using the set display mode command - or the project setting.

Just change the window resolution in the project settings to a suitable value and you'll see what I mean. See picture below: