Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Full sized floor - texture problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 23:27 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2014 23:27
I'm trying to make a one-piece floor for a wooden floor, at segment size it looks bad. The problem is that the texture doesn't display, I just get a light brown all over colour.

I may be taking the completely wrong approach here, so please correct me if there is a better way.

I made a .X file sized 800x800 units in Wings 3D, and UV mapped it.
I have put it in the entitybank/user folder along with a simple fpe file.

In FPSC I have put the floor just above the real floor. I have manually added the texture, which is held in the texturebank folder. In the editor, it shows white. When I test the level you get what is shown in the image below. I have overlaid the texture I am trying to use in the bottom right corner.

Can anyone shed any light on my problem?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 23:29
And the files used are attached here including the dbo and bin created by FPSC.

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 23:58 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2014 23:59
Your floor is too small to scale to that size, you actually need to make a 800 x 800 or a 100 x 100 floor and tile it.

Your floor measurement is 50 x 50 units according to the segment editor(X file is funky as lithuwrap fails to read it softimage miss shapes the file, FPE file shows you have scale it 800 times, which means the texture doesn't fit the object any more.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 00:09
thanks, I think I have mixed a few things up along the way, especially as I failed to delete the bin and dbo files as I changed floor size.

So I should:

export the .X file from Wings at a size of 800x800. My room is 8 segments x 8 segments.
set the scale in the FPE file to 1?

I also think I should set the height in the .X file to 0.1 so I don't have to move it up in the editor.

Forgive my simple questions, I'm making a room in FPSC to export to DBP/AGK.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 01:02 Edited at: 4th Apr 2014 01:32
Your using .jpg which is no longer supported in FPSC

Here's a uv-mapped floor 8x8 segments and 2" thickness as per the stock floors. I don't know that you need the segment floors beneath it as this is only a problem with npc collision in FPSC Classic and once ported will use whatever collision. if your putting this into some other engine you probably wont need all those other meshes.

The only reason you would do this in FPSC was to get a larger floor area over the stock segment floors and this would need to be dynamic to script for non-collision which means it wouldn't receive lightmapping. The only time I ever did this was to bake my own shadow maps.

It wont matter if you put 512x512 or 256x256 whatever texture on it provided it's seamless it will tile 8x8 just the same, I have included an obj format as well so you can put in modeler of your choice.

Attachments

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 03:52 Edited at: 4th Apr 2014 03:59
Very interesting attempt here similar to what I brought up over the facebook group. About making larger segments. I'm still facing many collision issues with anything over 1x1. still looking for a work around as a way to reduce the amount of polys loaded in to the level.

(Teabone)
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 04:22 Edited at: 4th Apr 2014 04:30
It's not something you will find a workaround for, since the introduction of 'null space' which was to prevent npc's walking off platforms etc, it is fixed this way, would have been nice if a flag were used to disable it. But I don't know for sure that wouldn't simply raise other issues

There are some tricks can be used but nothing that will actually reduce poly count, not if you want npc's running around on it. You could however use a plane rather than box for your 1x1 segment and it will still work fine but no way to increase scale. It's the reason you don't see many terrains in Classic, too much work for single segments.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 08:25 Edited at: 4th Apr 2014 08:29
I actually started using one sided planes as segments its helped quite a bit.

I guess I'll just combined all methods mentioned. Use invisible single single plane segments 1x1 to build the floor of the level and drop a large no collision terrain plane over top. This could allow for slight bumps in it and I guess even better texture design.

(Teabone)
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
There is a method described in the thread linked below to achieve npc collision which follows terrain contours, and you only need floor segments beneath the areas you want this in.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=197834&b=21
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 09:21
Thanks rolfy that entire thread is of much help for many issues I've been having over the years. Surprised it missed my sights.

(Teabone)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 10:57
Thanks Rolfy, appreciated. I'll give it a go tonight. Just one thing...

Quote: "The only reason you would do this in FPSC was to get a larger floor area over the stock segment floors and this would need to be dynamic to script for non-collision which means it wouldn't receive lightmapping. The only time I ever did this was to bake my own shadow maps."

I want to have a lightmapped floor, the reason for using FPSC is to get a better looking background for my app. I don't need collision. So can I assume that setting it to static will include it in the lightmap process? I had an issue earlier where the test build would crash on lightmapping if I set the textures to full quality, and lightmaps to high quality.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes make it static
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 23:53 Edited at: 7th Apr 2014 23:53
That's done the job, thank you very much.
I had to adjust the UV, it was repeating every 100 units. In the screenshot it's set to 1:1, I think I'll let it repeat twice across the width and length for best effect.

Thanks again!

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 23:54 Edited at: 7th Apr 2014 23:55
If anyone likes the texture it's attached here. I've made it seamless.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 13:00:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 13:00:35