Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP/blog] Planetastic [Android]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 14:37 Edited at: 28th Apr 2014 22:58

Welcome to the Solar System Sandbox.

Build a solar system stable enough to support life by placing a target number planets in orbit.

The game is currently in early alpha with only the basic physics and planet placement implemented.

The game features multi-body gravitational mechanics so the placement of all planets affect the orbits of all the existing bodies, including the Sun.

The game is built in AppGameKit v1.08 r21 in Tier 1.

Get it on Google Play.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 11:19
Made reasonable progress this week. Added the core game play idea: which is to achieve a stable habitable orbit with a target number of planets.

I also added planetary names and some planetary locators as it was difficult to see the planets when the camera pulls back to see the furthest away orbits.

Still lots to do, but it's coming together nicely.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 20:56
Some nice "depth effect" stars in the background would be nice! Otherwise nice work! Will be watching!

cheers

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 07:47
Cheers Paronamixxe, but what do you mea by "depth effect" stars? Do you mean stars that drift across the background? If so, yeah, I will probably implement something like that in the future, after all the essential parts have been added.

For now I'm focusing on getting the basic game out onto Google Play.

I spent yesterday replacing the yellow debugging text with icons and whatnot, but it's slow progress.

I've also spotted an annoying bug with the planet shadows. I'm faking the shadows with a second sprite that is rotated to face the sun. Each loop the sprite is moved to the same position as the planet sprite and rotated to the sun, but it looks like the physics sprites are moved, just before they are displayed to screen. This means my shadow is always a step behind the physics sprite. So it looks like I'll have to break the "Sync" command up into its elements to ensure the sprites are synchronised to the same time step.

Anyway, the three things I want to fix before I up load are: Getting to game to recognise a successful ending, Correct Facebook login, Correct Advert Implementation.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 22:39 Edited at: 24th Apr 2014 22:45
Just a small post to say the alpha version is now available on Google Play.

It's still in its early stages, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 22:45
What I meant is this:

Say you move the view to the left. Some stars are "further away" and therefore move slower than stars that are closer. It's a cheap and easy way to feign a nice 3D look entirely in 2D space!

cheers

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 22:47
Ah - I get it now, like a parallax effect - yeah, I think that would look nice. I'll add it to my to-do list.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2014 09:56
Some good progress this week.

I got the game onto Google Play to try and get some wider feedback.

I also fixed some of the image problems that appeared in the first version.

I also added the ability to zoom in on the planets you create to get a bit more info on them.

I also started adding the ability to customise the mass of the planets and get them to scale in size with the mass.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 22:57 Edited at: 28th Apr 2014 23:00
I've been making some reasonable progress with Planetastic.

Today I started implementing the Challenge system. So I was playing "Out There" the other day and I realised my game doesn't have any variation from attempt to attempt so I thought I should spice things up a little bit by setting a series of challenges.

By challenges I mean things like:

At least 3 Gas Giants,
All planets within 4 AU
2 Planets supporting Life

that sort of thing.

I'm going to limit the number of challenges to 3 per system, but have enough so that each system has a different set of challenges.

I'll also still support the sandbox mode as it's just nice to throw planets together.

In other news I've created 3 of my own planets since I found a pretty neat GIMP tutorial on planet creation.

and here they are:

They're actually surprising simple to create so I'm planning to add a few more before I release the next version.

Here's a little screenie of one of them in action too.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 22:32
I fleshed out the challenge system for Planetastic a bit more today.

The pic below shows the status of 4 objectives for this system challenge:

- At least 3 Gas Giants,
- At least 2 Rocky Planets
- At least 1 planet supporting life
- At least 5 planets in total.

When the objectives are mastered, the challenge is complete and the player stars a new challenge.

I've also been working on rearranging the UI see below.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:32:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:32:51