Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / How do we know what Android devices are supported with AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm about to publish my first game. I noticed with all the games on the Google Store that they list the "Requires Android" in their game section. How do I know what this is?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 04:53
Your question is a bit vague. I am assuming that 'requires Android' means that it runs on an Android device.

AGK supports pretty much anything running Android version 3.2 or higher. Performance may vary on different devices, but the functionality should work.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 03:37
This is a really tough question. Basically what Ancient Lady says is true. Pretty much anything running Android 3.2+ will run AGK. However, many device manufacturers decide to not support OpenGL or strip some OpenGL functionality out for hardware compatibility reasons. How do you know this? You don't. You also cannot specify what OpenGL compatibility you need. For example, I have found a small number of devices that have stripped out OpenGL's mipmapping support. Why? Who knows! Probably because they put in cheap GPU that overheats when using this feature.
Unfortunately there is no way to tell this.
It would be nice if things like OpenGL mipmapping support was checked by the AppGameKit implementation of OpenGL and just didn't use it when it isn't supported. What would be better is if Google allowed developers to explicitly specify those options.

I'm not sure why anything on the Google Play store would say "Requires Android". That's a given... That's like the App Store saying "Requires iOS"...

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 22:32 Edited at: 17th May 2014 23:16
I always thought it was 2.3 that was the minimum required android version for AppGameKit apps?

So much so in fact that my low end android test device is running 2.3 Gingerbread and AppGameKit apps splendidly well.

And I think the op was referring to the bit where it says "Requires android : 2.3+" or whatever at the bottom of the store page when you go to install it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 22:37
That's right, I must have transposed numbers!
My minimum target is set to 2.3.3 (API 10)
I think you can still set the API to 9 (2.3.1), but that's an obsolete API and probably shouldn't be used.
I apologize for any confusion

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:22:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:22:36