Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Request to not lock WIP posts

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 19:41
This is just a suggestion, of course there may be reasons I'm not aware of as to why old posts get auto-locked, but due to the nature of a WIP project where long periods of time can pass by without anything worthy of updating the thread for I'd like to suggest that WIP posts remain open.
The only other alternative is to bump old threads, if you can catch them before they get locked, and that just seems silly.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 23:23
Actually you can just ask a mod to unlock it should you really come back to a thread after 6 months or whatever it is. But sure, you have a good point, not much reason for them to be auto-locked.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 15:11 Edited at: 4th May 2014 15:13
The locking of WIP threads is precisely what led me to create my own 'Questions & Announcements' thread..

Since we can still edit old posts anywhere, even in a locked thread, I now just update the content of my WIP games in their original thread and post about it in the announcements thread, which leaves me with only 1 thread to bump.

I suppose another approach could be to create 1 thread for all your WIP games, and then you'd have just 1 to 'keep alive.'

666GO†O666
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 13:45
Quote: "I suppose another approach could be to create 1 thread for all your WIP games, and then you'd have just 1 to 'keep alive.'"

Or make a website... it's what I was thinking of doing

"Get in the Van!" - Van B
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 21:51
All I can say is that it is worth making a WIP post related to even the smallest of progress messages; or to even make a bump message to prevent it from being locked. You will be surprised how interesting a small update is to a certain person who benefits from it in an unexpected way.

I have never had my main project locked because I force myself to post even when I think the message is unworthy; some of my most worthless posts raised great interest. Keep posting, you can almost never post too little.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 22:37
Quote: "I have never had my main project locked because I force myself to post even when I think the message is unworthy; some of my most worthless posts raised great interest. Keep posting, you can almost never post too little."

You're also making a tool in addition to the game though. I don't want to post every little thing because I want a lot of it to be fresh when I finally have something to release. And my 'net'iquitte prevents me from bumping something merely for the sake of bumping it.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 16:40
Even with the game I write a lot about its technology and what I am currently working on. I hear Notch did something similar with Minecraft.

In my honest opinion, beside one or two typos, a WIP post never looks good enough until after you post it. Put the doubt aside. You should just post what you are thinking about, what you are doing and a little bit about what you are going to do. Be a good story teller, and be skilled at not giving away the plot or the secrets. You do not need to write much, you can just post a number of screenshots of something as simple as cube on a table top; if it was interesting enough for you to put the cube on the table it might be interesting for someone else to wonder what is going on.

Out of personal preference considering that I am unestablished; I would rather sacrifice freshness in-exchange for exposure on any-day under the sun.

Something new always crops up later. With my game there are many fresh ideas too plentiful to showcase in one go; if I reveal it all at once I'd need to post about 20,000 words and counting. A year ago my editor was not even a part of the plan, it just came up. And now something else cropped up; there is another game I will have to make that will be far more open to the public because it is to be the basis of a 2D tutorial series relating to my SDK and AppGame Kit. I think working on one or two interdependent projects compliments each other and gives you more that you are free to talk about; the content between them can also be reused.

With the 2D game it will be more of a challenge for me because I have not worked on a 2D game since the 90s; and am a new to AppGame kit; but I believe in myself to make a good effort.

Best thing to do in eyes is work on something you love; something related to a topic you can talk about all day and will be talking about in years to come. If you favourite topic is fishing then make a fishing game. If you are into world war history then make a game based on an event that interests you. Even if your favourite thing is watching paint dry then make a paint screensaver. If you choose the right topic then it will be difficult for you to shut up, as you can see from the length of my posts.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 16:22
I think people often forget what this forum is... it's a forum full of game developers!

If someone is interested in your project here, then the chances are that they are interested in the whole development story. Post about the coding challenges, interesting bugs, funny comments from testers, anything, everything... there's usually at least one person who will be interested. We need to remember that we aren't showcasing our work for gamers to maybe try, we are showcasing our work to other developers, we have an army of people here who love to help other developers.

We need to remember, and shouldn't be surprised when our WIP threads get locked due to no activity for months... that doesn't sound like an issue to be fixed... sounds like an issue between the chair and the keyboard
Just remember, Here Be Developers - if it interests you, then you'll find another dozen people here who it also interests.

I am the one who knocks...
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 17:36
Now that is so true

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 22:24
Too true, the next time I have a Programming burst I think I will make a WIP log.
I always think that everyone is far more advanced than I am and that they would find my progress boring, I forget that we have a spectrum of experience.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 15:36
If it gets autolocked it's because it is not a WIP, it is a WNIP.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 17:14
Who could argue

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 16:47
Quote: "Or make a website..."

Most sound piece of advise here...

I already closed my blog a while ago, but looking to open a new non WordPress based one, sick and tired of the pointless tasks that brings on you

What if there is a thread you just want to comment into but it is locked? there are a few like some plugin threads...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:48:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:48:55