Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Need simple solution to build a 2D self-defense cognition training game for my website.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 05:54
My first post here folks, I don't intend any etiquette breaches if I do...

I am stuck... I am self taught in all of my disciplines otherwise but unfortunately Google is not helping me research what I am looking to learn how to do with video games. I think I need something that is super low-tech and its just outdated I guess.

I want to make a literal point and click PC style game using a relatively static image of my product, (a paper shooting targets filled with shapes and symbols called The SMART-TARGET), so that my students and the general public can get a feel for what it really means to value cCombative Cognition.

If my terminology is correct, I think I need a "game creator engine" in 2D or 1D even. The best example of the simplicity of what I'm looking to make would emulate some of the simple games on Lumosity. The parameters for what I need this game to do (my website www.TheSmartTarget.com) is as follows:

- Click "Start Game".
- A full size image of my SMART-TARGET appears, then a 5 second count down begins.
- Randomly an audible description of a shape, number or misc description is played to indicate the threat which will be selectable on the the game screen.
- If correctly selected there will be an affirmation chime and then immediately the next threat clue is given. If wrong there will be a clunk sound or similar.
- This will carry on briefly and become more difficult as each new level is entered.
- It would be great if I could allow for a basic login and let folks keep track of their scores and how they rank against each other too, but that isn't required.

The purpose of an interactive game is to help people who wish to improve their self defense capabilities, appreciate the difficulty of a video game with the juxtapose of using a firearm on my paper target at their local shooting range.

Ok, Im sure I have said more than I need to. I appreciate any suggestions or advice, even if its to relocate this post to a more appropriate location.

Thank you for your contributions in my endeavor.

Stay safe and stay on target.
Ryan French
www.TheSmartTarget.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 18:02
Hmm it's a simple thing to code. You just need learn a small level of DB.

Btw. 1D would be a straight line.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 02:24
Quote: "for my website"

you do understand that TGC products can't be embedded into websites? they produce stand-alone executable files, instead. ie, files that must be downloaded and launched outside of your website.

if i understand what you are trying to do correctly, you'll need another language such as flash, HTML5, unity, etc, that can be embedded into your website.
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 16:09
What's with the tone?

I wouldn't recommend turning to Flash now. considering the majority of your audience will be smartphones and tablets. It's far more sensible for a small businessman to just create an app download and exe download. I doubt sense the OP is not a highly technical person that HTML5 would be an option.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 03:57
Construct 2 is an editor that's specifically designed to output to JS/HTML5 which can easily be embedded into a website. The free version is a little limited but should have all the features you'd need. It's a lot like Game Maker.

https://www.scirra.com/construct2

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 19:28
I would concur, HTML5 is proving to be the future.

Alternative to Construct 2 would be Clickteam Fusion.

Also, Unity3D 5 will be coming with WebGL Support in HTML 5.

I know AppGameKit had some WebGL and HTML5 stuff at one point with the Freedom Engine, TBH, I've not looked at the latest stuff, so dunno what AppGameKit 2 is offering or what is still supported.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:14:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:14:51