Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Should i keep learning darkbasic or change to agk or something

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 21:49
Hi everyone!

This is my first post so i'm also saying hello.

Recently i just started looking at dark basic pro and am getting a little into it but i notice alot of people say its old and agk is better to learn. What do you think? Should i stay with darkbasic or am i wasting my time? I'm new to programming so I'm looking for advice from people who have programmed for awhile.

If you think I'm wasting my time, what suggestions have you got for an easy language to learn?

Thanks!

World's worst signature - ever!
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 10:55 Edited at: 9th Jun 2014 10:56
Right now, AppGameKit, to my knowledge, is not fully suited for 3D PC games. It is more for mobile development. I don't know what version 2 holds.

Generally, DBPro is good for a starting point if you don't want to take coding as anything more than a hobby. It's a nice dialect but it teaches bad habits, the commands aren't consistent in their naming and it is dated. If you're serious about development, learn a mainstream language. However these have a higher learning curve and and it may take much longer to make a game. DBPro will let you produce quick results and has this awesome community (See "Geek Culture" board, for example). For all DBP's faults, it's still fun. AppGameKit is very similar to DBPro so you can easily make the change if needed. There are many people using AppGameKit professionally in mobile dev. But if you want to make PC games and mainly as a hobby, DBPro is still good. I'd say if you already started learning, finish and then decide.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Only losers vote for other parties. Don't be a loser; vote nASA and save yourself the humiliation of being labeled a loser.
Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 12:00
I think then dbpro might be good as I'm just making a few small games with friends. We want to make a 3d platform game alot like crash bandicoot but we are first making a few small games like a mario clone and then a 3d space shooter.

Am not really sure about where the future will go with my programming. I'm not really a coder but i did want to make a few games just for fun. I will have a look at the rest of the forum as you suggested and learn more about this community. Thank you,

Liz

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 17:57
I currently use AppGameKit, having made one game in DBPro, Purple Complex (click the link in my signature). What I found when making Purple Complex is that reading forum posts about the lack of updates for DBPro and the general feeling of decline had a serious negative impact on my motivation and I almost gave up. But I decided that if I didn't finish then I might as well not bother trying to make games at all.

I read an article in this months Edge magazine about getting into game development where someone basically said that for your first games it doesn't really matter what tools you use, it's more important to learn about the game development process. The thinking being that learning software was easier to teach than creativity and being able to critically appraise what you've created.

I suspect if you're just starting out, getting some simple games or apps made and building up the interest and enthusiasm will probably help you to move on if you want to use something else.

Just for the record, I'm not a professional coder, so I can't advise on what you should be doing if you want to be one, I'm a mechanical design engineer. However, I find that making games does help with a number of "soft" skills like problem solving, creativity, project planning and bringing ideas from concept to reality. So, from that perspective, learning DBPro is not a complete waste of time.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 01:05
Once AppGameKit has full 3D support, I don't see much use for DBP. I do mostly 2D stuff anyway, so I've moved on to AppGameKit and haven't touched DB in a year or so.

Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 12:45
I didn't know agk will have full 3d support. That might make it worth looking at. It seems alot more expensive though is it ok to make free games and distribute them with the free trial version or not? (Sorry to ask, I'm sure it says somewhere in the help but if someone knows already then i don't have to search around, thanks)

Thanks again everyone for your input,
Liz

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 16:15 Edited at: 12th Jun 2014 16:30
Be kind to future yourself so that you may give yourself a pat on the back and a warm smile because you made a good decision.

Learn C++, Java or HTML5.

Additionally a little bit of relational database stuff; even if it is for a hobby, make it a good hobby.

The age old programming languages are here to stay for decades; you will not regret it in say 10 - 15 years time when the unthinkable may happen. The just being in C++ community, the Java community or the HTML5 community opens the door for a lifetime of principles which can be applied to more than just programming.

These are more difficult to learn, but more rewarding to you and the people around you. Sometimes people say that something is difficult, but you may not be among such people. Give it a try, it will not kill you.

If you struggle to enjoy learning HTML5, C++ or Java, try C#, Visual Basic or what ever language Unity3D uses or an equivalent; anything with a good track record and consistent updates.

As for AppGameKit or DarkBASIC in general, use them anyway; it will compliment your learning, but as NonZero stated; limiting yourself to ONLY AppGameKit or ONLY DarkBASIC will teach you many bad habits that C++/Java/C#/VB.Net would have prevented you from being stuck with.

As for AppGameKit vs DarkBASIC, these are incomparable products for completely different markets; do not compare a multiplatform model to a single platform one; each have their advantages.

These days multiplatform is a buzz word that attracts and impresses people; but multiplatform will sometimes mean less features and more workarounds. If one cannot get ones products to work on more than one platform, then there was no point in using the multi-platform tool in the first place.

How good these tools are falls down to the skill of the programmer. However, neither are bad or obsolete.

I'd pick AppGameKit, even though I do not use it; I use DarkBASIC Professional for something specific which AppGameKit could not do for me personally, not because it is better than AGK. Again, two different tool-sets for two different markets.

Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 21:18
Thanks for the input. I was considering C# but it seemed very complicated. Perhaps if i learn it along side basic then it won't seem too bad. Anyway, i have decided to use darkbasic for our games but i will definitely start learning something else too. C# seems to be popular for making games these days and i still have some tutorials so maybe i will pick it up. Thanks,
Liz

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 17:12 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 17:19
C# is a beautiful programming language; I use VB.NET because it is more similar to DarkBASIC, but my team uses C#. We can still work together because they all stand on the Microsoft CLR (Common Language Runtime). There are plenty of C# jobs out there.

Have fun.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 19:23
As someone who grew up with DBC and DBP, and has nearly 3 years of experience with C++ and 6 years with C, let me give you some advice.

If you are learning how to program, it doesn't matter if "it's too old" or "not powerful enough". The fact is that DarkBASIC is a fantastic way to learn how to program, regardless if it was made by dinosaurs back in the day.

I recommend you stick with DarkBASIC for the time being and simply have some fun! Don't care about correct programming procedures and all of that high-level mumbo-jumbo. Let the code flow from your fingers the way you see fit, and over time your knowledge will increase. Game programming is not serious business, it's an art form and a means to express yourself.

Later on, when you feel DBC/DBP is lacking, that's when you can consider other options. The next language of choice depends on your goals of course.

Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 23:14
That was nicely put, TheComet. I am going to stick with darkbasic but i do also want to start with C# at the same time. Maybe learning them together will give me a new take on coding (or just confuse me). If i really can't handle C#, i will put it on pause.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 08:24:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 08:24:54