Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Can I make a medieval game with this engine?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, game creators forum, I'm new here. I am willing to make a medieval game that is like the legend of King Arthur, I bet we all know it. I have the base story ready, I tried Unity but apparently I suck. So I heard FPSCx10 is the easiest 3d fps game engine available, but whener I looked at it's videos it only shows games like half-life. Does that mean I can't equip my character with a sword and make the map all forest and stuff?

I try to make games.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2014 01:11
I would use classic FPSC. You can buy medieval model packs for it.
Krosmist
Years of Service
User Offline
So I can't buy the pack 35 for x10?

I try to make games.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2014 02:05
I think that Classic FPSC is better than X10. I know people have made the model packs work with X10, but because I haven't used X10 in years I really don't know which packs are compatible and which aren't.

Perhaps someone who has used the model pack in X10 can give you better information.

I always thought classic was better than X10.
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 23:43
@Krosmist,

Did you get FPSCX10 recently?

Don't waste your life
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 22:06
Thraxas is correct in his assessment. Model packs were easier to "drop-and-use" in Classic FPSC than x10. There are some packs that needed some tweaks, while others were a down right pain to get working. And those that did manage to work in x10 suddenly would not work when adding something else. If you understand the engine and how the packs work within, you could get most to work. I may have a list in my archives somewhere- I kept the list with what worked, what needed minor tweaks, what were to avoid. But to be honest, unless you know what to do and how these packs and the x10 engine work, the Classic engine was the easiest route.

Quote: "Did you get FPSCX10 recently?"

What difference does this make?

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2014 01:28
@Blackfox,

He just might be a pirate...

Don't waste your life
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2014 22:48
Quote: "He just might be a pirate..."

And this is based on what? Did you see his ship? Did he have the colors hoisted? Was he walking around saying "arrrr, I got me a copy of x10" and carrying a rum bottle? Did you hear his bird mimic? Is this based on his "join date", or the fact that there is discussion about a product that no longer is being sold? Is it based on a combination of a few or all of the above?

Seriously though, one can't just make an "assumption" if you do not have facts. There is an old saying about assumptions, but that comes from my era and I'm certain you may have heard it. Unless you can prove every user discussing/asking about x10 has "obtained" it via other methods, we should at the very least try and be helpful lest we actually chase away good developers based on bad assumptions.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 00:52 Edited at: 25th Jul 2014 00:54
X10 has been sold on disc... I only recently saw it in a store. Blackfox is right, there is neither proof nor reason to believe he pirated it.

(X10 on Amazon)

...and yes! You can actually make medieval, fantasy games. LINK

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 01:06 Edited at: 25th Jul 2014 01:06
I didn't mean to start any argument or anything like that and I did not say that I thought he was a pirate. I said that I thought he might be one. There's a big difference.

Don't waste your life
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 21:57
Not your fault specifically, this argument has arisen multiple times already.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 14:59
You can use your X10 serial with X9. If you download the free version of X9 (from the main site) and put your X10 serial into the userdetails.ini (in the main FPSC folder), you should have a fully functioning version of X9.

Cheers

Jay.

PS, I can see where A Dude is coming from. I have purchased, X10, X9 a whole bunch of model packs and am now pledging Reloaded, so, the thought of someone coming to the forums after pirating a copy, asking for help, is more than a little annoying. I will hold my hands up, I do my fair share of jumping to conclusions and accusing without thinking! Although, I think TGC should be the ones to decide who are the pirates and who aren't.

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 18:47 Edited at: 18th Aug 2014 18:57
Whenever a newly registered member from "cyberspace" talks about recently acquiring x10 I generally jump to conclusions that there is pirating going on, as well. So I too can commonly be guilty of assumption lol

However, to answer the main question, you can defiantly create medieval games in FPSCx9. More so like games like Thief. There are items in The Game Creator store that contain swords, bows, oil bombs, battle axes and more. Personally though I would recommend buying one of the medieval packs. They are pretty good.

I have very little experience using x10, only played around with it a bit a few years ago. So I can't really say what would be possibly with it. All I know is FPSCx9 is actually more stable.

(Teabone)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:19:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:19:42