Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Mr Normal, a specular and normal map generator, released

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 21:43 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2014 21:50
Mr Normal Launched by HPTWare

Mr Normal is a normal and specular map generator for windows. Mr Normal creates maps from diffuse textures, functions and normal map painting to produce unique assets for your projects. A video introduction is shown below

YouTube Intro Video For Mr Normal

Normal Maps from Diffuse Textures

Mr Normal can generate normal and specular maps from diffuse textures. Normal maps can be customized by changing the balance of fine, medium and large topographic features, the over all intensity (z weight) and the sense (y-up, y-down, x-right, x-left) of the normal map. Generating normal and specular maps from diffuse textures is quick and easy.

Normal Maps from Functions

Mr Normal allows normal maps to be generated from a range of mathematical functions allowing complex topographies to be generated. Normal maps generated from mathematical functions are highly useful in creating maps for architectural features and allow a single diffuse texture to be used in combination with several different normal maps to generate a wide range of different objects in your end application. Up to three functions can be layered and combined using add, subtract and penetrate to produce an enormous range of normal map topographies. Functions include perlin noise that can generate natural looking surfaces. Functions can be combined with normal maps generated from diffuse textures.

Painting on Normal Maps

Normal maps created in Mr Normal, or existing maps, can be modified using drawing tools in Mr Normal. Various brushes allow features to be added and emphasised within normal maps to generate truly unique maps. Tools include smooth and sharpen brushes that decrease or increase the slope of existing topography.

Fixing Normal Maps.

Mr Normal allows the intensity and sense (y-up, y-down, x-right, x-left) to be changed easily in an existing normal map.

Previews

Mr Normal allows created normal maps to be previewed on several geometries using several different diffuse textures.

Batch Processing

Normal maps can be generated in batch using different user-defined presets including functions. Mr Normal exports to a wide range of formats including DDS.

Licenses

Free License
The free version of Mr Normal allows you to create normal maps from diffuse textures up to 1024x1024 pixels in size. The free version provides you with a quick and easy means of producing custom normal maps from diffuse textures.

Reward License
The Reward version of Mr Normal is for our existing registered users of Medusa Pro (the rock generator) and Forester Pro (the tree generator). We decided that Mr Normal would be ideal for users of our other products and allow generation of normal maps for trees and modification of normal maps provided with Medusa Pro and rock packs. As a thanks for purchasing our other products the reward version of Mr Normal allows you to generate normal maps from diffuse textures at any size and allows you to modify existing normal maps. To upgrade to the Reward version simply enter your serial code for Medusa or Forester in the register window of Mr Normal. This offer will include all future purchases of Medusa Pro and Forester Pro.

Pro license
The Pro License of Mr Normal includes all of its more advanced features including functions, batch processing and normal map painting. A pro version license is $30. To upgrade to Mr Normal Pro enter the serial code in the register window of Mr Normal, no further downloads are necessary.

You can download Mr Normal from our website.

www.hptware.co.uk/mrnormal.php

GrumpyOne - the natural state of the programmer

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 24th Aug 2014 19:41
Hi GrumpyOne

I've just downloaded this and given it a quick test on my laptop.

Looks nice but I found it hard to use:

1. View>Normal from the main menu didn't seem to do anything.

2. The Windows Close button (the red cross) in Draw Mode didn't work.

3. It was painfully slow to rotate when I wanted to change the view of a preview cube for example.

4. I couldn't see how to modify the specular map.

5. I found the options brought up by pressing the mouse wheel didn't always seem to work as I expected (but that might be me ).

6. There was a noticeable delay when changing the view. Why?

7. There's a lot of fan noise while the program is running, even when I'm simply viewing the diffuse texture. Why?

8. I found the options for the X and Y coordinates confusing initially. Normal maps usually have positive Z as the "Up" direction (i.e. pointing away from the surface), with X and Y being the two directions across the surface. I then realised "Up" referred to the direction Up the screen and similarly X. Not sure of the best way round that. Perhaps a bit of explanation in the Help file?

9. When I tried to use Open from the main File menu, the Save Preset dialogue box opened.

10. The File>New option from the main menu was very confusing. I clicked Add to open a diffuse texture. That was fine - and then I wasn't sure what to do next. Open seemed to try to open a Preset. Create seemed to be the right button to press next and then I pressed Cancel to close that window. The main window then immediately lost focus - but was still open on the Windows Task Bar. That happened repeatedly but not consistently.

11. The Windows red cross close button on the File>New dialogue box didn't seem to do anything.

Despite these issues the program looks very promising.