Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Impossible Runner

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 07:58 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 08:16
Hey everybody,

My newest WIP!

Screens:

Download APK :: 8.1 Mbs

How to Play:
Tap the Screen
[it's not as easy as it sounds]

Basically it's yet another infinity runner, but it's got some unique things happening that should give it a definite edge over the competition
So far it's got 9 levels, but that should be enough that you'll take 15 - 20 minutes to get through them

ToDo:
Google Play Achievements
Stat Tracking
Add some sort of goal for the user to be working toward
Analytics
Sound Effects
Different soundtrack
More GFX/Particles etc
Pause menu
Interface improvements
Add waay more levels
And more

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get at this early stage.

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2014 19:00
This is pretty good, the screen shots don't do it justice. It's got that simple yet addictive quality and I actually like the simple design (not such a fan of the music but that's what volume control is for).

I've got to level 1.9, which took me longer then 20 to 30 minutes, and I thought it played really well, challenging but not too frustrating.

The collision detection's a little iffy when the circle hits the corner of one of the blocks. There were jumps that I thought I had made, the circle fell through the block and sometime I was travelling on thin are when I came off the right had edge of the block. Also, when I hanging underneath and jumped just as I reached the end of block the circle jumped up instead of falling, which felt a little incongruous.

The other minor issues were:

a bit at the end of level 1.8 where the player has to roll along the bottom of the screen to ge to the exit. This just seemed inconsistent when previously I was having to jump over the gaps to avoid falling through them.

in level 1.9 (which I haven't completed) there's a "jump boost" that's just floating in mid air. It might look a bit better if there was a block underneath it (I'd say that for spikes and other features as well).

I also think it might be an idea to add a grey or cyan stripe to the circle so the player can see it rolling. But I'm only suggesting that as you've used colours in the other levels so I don't think it would ruin the look.

One other thing I'd say, and I might be wrong, is that I think it would be better to have fewer but well crafted levels than lots of levels where a lot of them feel like padding. I felt you're other game Ryder was like this, some of the levels were really good but others felt a bit scrappy as if you were just reaching to get 100 levels and anything would do. You can always add more levels through updates or sequels.

But, yeah, this is really good and would definitely download the finished game.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 07:52
Quote: "The collision detection's a little iffy when the circle hits the corner of one of the blocks. There were jumps that I thought I had made, the circle fell through the block and sometime I was travelling on thin are when I came off the right had edge of the block. Also, when I hanging underneath and jumped just as I reached the end of block the circle jumped up instead of falling, which felt a little incongruous."

Ok, I've noticed this, but never got around to spending the time necessary to fix it. I'm using a custom collision system (AGKs built-in physics system was far too slow).
The jumping-after-falling-off-the-end-of-a-sticky-block bug will be easy to fix, thanks for pointing it out

Thanks heaps for all your comments! I really appreciate them.

Can anyone else give some feedback too? I'd like a few variety of opinions on it. From getting friends and family to play it, some really really love the addictiveness of it, while others go "That's nice, not too bad", but don't have any compulsion to keep playing

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 09:54
I have not tried this on my phone yet. I like the logo!

When I saw the name I thought that you would have an animated character running. I think that would make the game look more appealing to potential downloaders.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 02:49 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 03:25
Quote: "When I saw the name I thought that you would have an animated character running. I think that would make the game look more appealing to potential downloaders"

It probably would, but unfortunately I have problems drawing things

The graphics style I'd originally planned to go far was something like a cross between Leo's Fortune and Limbo (imagine the dark theme of limbo, but with a fluffy character like leo (completely silhouetted of course). Unfortunately this was never going to work (my art skills again).
So the only other things I could go for would be a dark tech theme, a paper based theme, or the current light theme. I'm still tossing up between which of them I'll go for in the end.

But I'll see about trying to add a character, maybe a stick figure like in Dodge those Balls, I should be able to use Stykz to animate it

Quote: "I like the logo!"

Thanks! The streak thing is from Game Icons, a great site for devs who aren't artists

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 19:45 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 19:46
Quote: "It probably would, but unfortunately I have problems drawing things"

I am not very good with art myself. That's why RTA is made in 200x120 resolution. The background is only 100x60! The fewer the pixels the easier it is to make it look good. Or rather it takes less time because there are only so maany pixels to work with.

Quote: "So the only other things I could go for would be a dark tech theme, a paper based theme, or the current light theme. I'm still tossing up between which of them I'll go for in the end."

Why not include all 3 and let the player choose?

Quote: "But I'll see about trying to add a character, maybe a stick figure like in Dodge those Balls, I should be able to use Stykz to animate it"

It doesn't have to be super advanced. I would make the character short. And while running, make him almost fill up the same area as the circle.

Oh, and thanks for the link

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2014 21:12
Quote: "I'm using a custom collision system"

I thought that was the case. I did a lot of maths collision in darkbasic so know how difficult it can be.

I was going to disagree with DA's suggestion of having an animated character as I like the simple aesthetic of the ball. However, if you did have a character you could then use box style collision instead of circle on box, the maths is easier so would be easier to code.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2014 19:57
I'd love to make some animated characters for this app if you decide to go with that style. Give me a shout if you're interested. I think I know the style you're after.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2014 12:22 Edited at: 26th Aug 2014 12:26
Thanks, I might take you up on that, I'll get back to you about it soon

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2014 06:19
I sent an email (to srholding[at]hotmail.co.uk), is that the best way to contact you? Or would using the PM system be better?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2014 10:12
Got it. Replying now.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 00:45
Sorry for the bump but I have just sent you an animated character to see if it's what you are after for this game EB. Let me know if there are any changes you'd like.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2014 10:48
Just letting you all know I'm still working on this
Will edit back before too long with an update

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
I saw everyone talking about the animation and if I may make a simple suggestion. Why not make it like the cartoons did and just have a stick figure poking out of the wheel to make it look like he has legs moving really fast like they did in scooby doo. It would be simple to create and help clarify on the "RUNNER" part of it so it actually looks like somebody is running without requiring too much animation
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 22:06
Good idea, although Baxlash has already made me a sprite for it, so I won't need to do that. Might steal that idea for another later project though

I am still 'working' on this, just making very slow progress I've been spending too much free time playing Dota instead of coding
Hopefully will get it finished within a couple of weeks

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 22:29
eb, if you want a spine character making based on that character let me know. You could have some nice smooth transitions between animations... if I still have the original character art...
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 22:47
That's ok, the art you made before will do fine
I've been stuck on this project for a while, I couldn't get my collision system to work properly, but I've finally thought of sometime that'll work, so I should be able to get some serious work into it soon!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:54:30
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:54:30