Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Blades of War (The Scrolls of Eithador)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 23:53 Edited at: 21st Aug 2014 00:00
Hello and welcome back to my game! Lots of things have been happening recently and since the old thread got shut down and the game has change name I thought I would start a new thread.

So what to talk about first...

Smithing

The smithing section of the game is in a working state and you can gather, refine and craft your very own items now.

New way to code

I started using functions now which are amazing! They make it so much easier to understand your code and quicker to find pieces.

Combat system

I started work on the combat system which is all though out and it will be quite interesting! The damage system which I am working on takes into consideration where he/she is hit and whether there is protection there. It also takes into consideration the speed of the weapon, the speed of the player being hit and the angle of the strike and the angle of the piece of material hit which should be make it really interesting.

Modeling

I started learning how to use a 3d program and been getting pretty good results - this is the picture of my first head + neck attempt

[img][/img][img][/img]

After polygon reduction (22684 polygons)

[/URL][/img]

Please tell me what you think!

If you don't have a clue what this project is have a look on my indiedb page or on the[img][URL=http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Flamertor/media/Zbrushpolyreduction_zps1397c86a.jpg.html]
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 01:52
I tend to go overboard with poly's myself, but 22k for just a head and neck is overkill. Are you modeling the scar's or is that a normal map? (Because if it's not a normal map, you should try that instead and save those polys!)
Looks good, though. I remember you posting a wip for this game a while back if I'm not mistaken.
Flamertor
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi wattywatts, you are not mistaken I did have a wip thread quite a while about this very project. Also how many poly's would you recommend?
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2014 05:20
I wouldn't go over 30k for a main character (entire body) but depending on what shaders you're going to use you might run into 3d memory errors on objects that high. For NPC's I'd suggest somewhere around 8-15k. That's pretty low generally speaking, so normal maps are really important.

Also when reducing, be sure to leave good edge loops around the joints so your animations don't end up looking weird.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2014 04:31 Edited at: 27th Aug 2014 04:31
It's OK to model with an insane poly count, just make sure to bake normal maps and export a decimated version of the model as wattywatts said. 30k is still very high, I recommend using nothing over 8k for DBP.

Models look awesome by the way.

R.I.P.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2014 17:52 Edited at: 27th Aug 2014 17:59
By the time this project is finished; 30k will be called low poly. lol.

No offense but the same is true about my projects. When I started 4 years ago; 15k was considered quite high; Now in 2014 a typical gamer will have multicore CPUs, side chained-GPUs and a dedicated physics processor.

To conclude my point; low-poly is a relative term which is based on how the models are being rendered and how many of them are to be rendered during game play. If you expect to have 100 of these models in a room, use the decimation tecnique the other guys mentioned.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
That's not a healthy developer state of mind to take such pieces of technology as granted. Always try to bring the most out of almost nothing, no negative surprises ever on that route.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2014 23:57 Edited at: 27th Aug 2014 23:59
Quote: "Always try to bring the most out of almost nothing, no negative surprises ever on that route. "

True, but I can't seem to understand the point about taking the techology for granted; please do let me know how you mean?

And LOL, for some reason I failed to realize the debate is about a 22,000 poly head and helmet; not the whole character .

That is not good for realtime playback. When you start to introduce the limbs, clothes, hair and weapons multiplied by the number of characters you will struggle to get a smooth open world game running on most hardware.

Flamertor
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all! Yeah I've been having an issue with lowering the poly count to a level which is both highly detailed and still looks good up close. I was thinking that it would be around that poly count maybe when you are really close to the character.

For example if they were lined up shoulder to shoulder you would only see three of them at that high poly count and the next 6 in the row would be half that and then the next 12 would be half that again etc.

Would that improve the performance alot?
Flamertor
Years of Service
User Offline
Blades of War

The development of the game is going underway nicely and is coming on leaps and bounds in certain areas. With the smithing system complete I have moved on to developing the combat system.

The combat system is designed to be a easy to pick up system which will be satisfying to use but will have extensive depth by factoring the acceleration, material density, angle and thickness of the weapon and item being hit; this will allow for people who want to learn how to deal the most damage to experiment and learn what angles are best to hit from and at what speed. The combat system has four aggressive moves (slash, stab, kick and punch) for the player to perform and two defensive moves (block and dodge). The attacks and parry are both fully controlled by the player by having the mouse movement affect where the arm weapon moves. On top of this there are different modes of holding the weapon which gives different bonus and disadvantages. An example of this is the sword which has three different modes: normal, hand on blade and club mode (these have not been named yet) which were all used in the medieval times. The normal attack gives great flexibility for the sword to be used but dosn't give precise attacks; the hand on blade allows for closer hits and is more accurate and the club mode allows you to deal more damage to people in plate mail armour (this is just a basic overview).
Some of the basics for this system have been put in place such as the slashing and stabbing but still got a long way to go until it is as tight and strong as I would like it. All of the basics should be done in two weeks top I think.

The smithing of the game is basically complete but does need all the recipe files to be completed and to be tested for bugs.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to leave any suggestions or comments.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 00:15
Nice work man, i am really interested to see how your combat goes. I am a big fan of active combat in the mount and blade style.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:08:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:08:34