Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [DBP] Splitscreen deathmatch - styled after Goldeneye!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 16:59 Edited at: 7th Sep 2014 13:00
I've created this demo to showcase some of the features of my FPS engine.

An Xbox 360 controller is required for each player, although you can still try the demo with just one.

I'd be grateful for any feedback, and I hope you enjoy it!

Update : By default you couldn't fall from walkways. This was done to match the gameplay mechanics of Goldeneye but as it's proved frustrating for players I've added the ability to toggle between collision modes with the spacebar.

http://nalacreations.com/files/ease_deathmatch.zip

[b]
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 01:02
I hate you right now lol, going to look like I copied you lol

But I am working on four players... have my screens set up already and controllers too

Post more, but is this a WIP?

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 19:49
This is a finished project. Whilst it's a demo of my FPS engine, it's also a complete experience on it's own.

Did you try the game yourself? I'd be grateful for any feedback on it.

Good luck with your project, and thanks for checking this out.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 22:02
Hmm, aside from being strangely 4:3 ratio based, it played ok, movement pace for aiming was spot on, maybe 5% more room for improvement, will test this out on the weekend with some friends to see what they make of it, they are hard core Goldeneye gamers... not me though... but I did enjoy some levels

Physics needs improvement such as erm jumping from a balcony to a lower floor...

Nice work so far!

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 23:13 Edited at: 1st Sep 2014 23:21
Awesome, thank you!

I know the borders can seem a little dissapointing, but it's actually to help correct the aspect ratio. This is a technique used in most modern games and helps prevent the view from appearing stretched.

Examples :

Call of Duty

Halo

And the physics, or rather the lack of them, was also a design choice as you were unable to fall from heights in Goldeneye.

Rest assured though, my next demo will not only allow you to fall off of things but also jump over them!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated and I hope you and your friends have fun with this.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 23:26
hmm...

Maybe we play 4 players more than 2 so I never notice...

Will feedback on the resposes

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 18:50
I had a quick go of this. I don't have a second xbox 360 controller so can't comment on the multiplayer aspect.

The only thing I didn't really like was the invisible walls for the walkway and on the ramps. I can understand why you did it but it felt wrong to me.

I like the graphic style and the HUD. Controls were good. I like the idea of a split screen FPS game (would prefer a single player game myself). The black borders didn't bother me, didn't even notice it to tell you the truth.

I don't think jumping and falling are all that necessary but it might add an extra dimension to the game. Crouching would also be a good addition.

Nice effort.

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 13:30
Thanks for the feedback, 29 games.

The response to the gameplay has been extremely interesting, and it's clear that certain mechanics I've recreated haven't aged well.

Thankfully, additional player actions already exist within the engine and I'll be sure to include them in future projects.

I also appreciate the kind words on the games visuals and controls. Thank you.
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 13:10
Just a note to say that I've updated the game to include the ability of toggling between collision modes. By default, you can't fall from the walkways, but pressing spacebar in game will change that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:46:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:46:26