Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Looking to buy a new headset - any suggestions?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 13:57
So I have found the Sennheiser PC363D 7.1 gaming headset. Which from what I have found have excellent sound quality and the virtual 7.1 is perhaps the best virtual sound and you can hear where sounds come from in games. The advantage of virtual seems to be better audio quality due to larger drivers. The mic on this is also very good. There are better mics but not on any surround headsets that I have found. Build quality seems very high and not prone to break. The drawback seems to be a lack of software to configure the headset. But that's not something that I use now anyway. It's also quite expensive but still quite a bit cheaper than the most expensive ones.

Anyone got suggestions on headsets I should take a look at?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 14:27 Edited at: 21st Sep 2014 14:46
Hmm, maybe my PC have good enough sound hardware to mix the 3D sound.

I have audio built into my motherboard of my new gaming PC. I just found the Sound Blaster Recon3D control panel though. So I would asume it is good enough for my needs which would allow me to buy for example the much cheaper non 7.1 headset from Sennheiser. The program even has profiles and an EQ so I'm set with that as well. Need to find a headset to test this with.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 16:06
Quote: "Need to find a headset to test this with."

Yep my advice... Maybe bring a laptop with you to test it out with at the store.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 17:32 Edited at: 21st Sep 2014 17:32
So, found my Koss sort of portable headphones. Couldn't really get much surround feel while playing Borderlands. I don't know how much difference there's between these and say the Sennheiser PC360 or how much difference the sound hardware can do. Pretty much the only thing difference with the PC363D is that it comes with an external soundcard that does the virtual 7.1. The question is, will that make much of a difference? The price difference is almost double.

Quote: "Maybe bring a laptop with you to test it out with at the store."

I do not like my local computer store. Well, there's a smaller one too, but they don't have a lot of stuff there. So I'll likely buy online.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 17:50
So this is the motherboard I got. Apparently it got some better than average sound components. But I have no idea what any of it really means.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 22:16
Seems like I got a proper audio card built in.

Been looking at headsets all day long. Considering SteelSeries Siberia v2. These I can get for less than half the price of the PC360. They seem to be very popular. People seem to like the sound and comfort of them, except lacking in base but that's an easy fix. The mic also seems good for a headset.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 23:27
OK, bought the SteelSeries Siberia v2 since it was on sale, and I don't know for how long.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 16:50 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2014 16:51
Crap I got here too late. I was about to suggest the Corsair Vengeance 1500 (V2 of course) as both my brother and I bought one and they're extremely good. Super comfy for long hours of gaming or music production (or just general programming music-listening) with excellent sound quality and the most amazing 7.1 virtual surround I've ever heard. Plus, the 50mm drivers mean that that grenade that just went off behind you and to the left sounded like a grenade going off behind you and to the left and was deep and bassy.

The mic is also very good. It's just a shame you got that unnecessarily expensive headset before I saw this thread

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 19:48
Thanks for the tip. Looks quite nice but haven't heard much about it. Half the comments I read was negative. And there wasn't a lot of them either. It seems to be too late to cancel my order now though.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 02:03
Quote: "Half the comments I read was negative."

Really? I've only read positive reviews. Huh, ok. Well, your headset gets consistently reviews anyway, so I think it'll be just fine. In hind sight I probably shouldn't have said, "This one's MUCH better" immediately after you bought a different one

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 11:07
The comments I spoke of are user reviews on a Swedish site. Not looked at actual reviews of that one. Since I've already bought a headset it would be just a waste of time I have not seen anyone recommend Corsairs headsets though. All these headsets are better then what most people are using anyway. The Siberia v2 has about the same price as the Vengeance 1500 v2, but I got mine on sale so it ended up being cheaper anyway. I have no idea what they will really sound like.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 14:23
Quote: "I have no idea what they will really sound like."

Probably awesome. I know very little about them, but off the top of my head, SteelSeries is nearly as good as Corsair in my books

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 15:11
I love my Corsair keyboard. The mouse could be better, thumb buttons are too hard to reach.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 05:53
Quote: "I love my Corsair keyboard."

As do I! I mean, I don't love your keyboard, I love mine K70 is what I use, but ASAP I'll be upgrading to the K70 RGB (brown switches), cuz... RG-FREAKIN-B! *evil laugh*

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 06:06
Quote: "I mean, I don't love your keyboard"
I love Digital Awakening's keyboard. I love it very much.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 17:13
I got the full size one with red switches. I went with red because it was the one with red backlight and looks amazing. It's kind of weird to type on red switches but can be insanely fast when you get used to it. Your fingers kind of flows since there is no resistance. Awesome for gaming.

The Siberia headset is really nice. Haven't tried the mic yet and have no idea how it compares in surround sound with other headsets. The sound quality is really good though.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 16:50 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 03:18
Quote: "I love Digital Awakening's keyboard. I love it very much. "

rofl trust you to say that!

Quote: "I got the full size one"

?? Do you mean the K90?

Quote: "I went with red because it was the one with red backlight and looks amazing."

[removed]

As soon as I have the money, however, I'll be replacing my current K70 with the K70 RGB so I can have my red backlight.... or whatever other colour I want! Also, a large number of the LEDs have failed on my keyboard (which happens due to ESD apparently), and on the RGB keyboards the LEDs are encased in transparent plastic instead of being mounted directly on the PCB to prevent ESD frying them (good thinking, Corsair! ). I currently have 38 dead LEDs and my brother has something like 17 dead LEDs, so we're both looking forward to having basically indestructible LEDs in the RGB version (which, incidentally, Lachy has already pre-ordered today, since the brown switches are finally available in Australia from PC Case Gear).

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 00:05
It's a K70 I got. That's the full size one. K90 I would call an extended keyboard.

Getting a keyboard for free, now that would be nice. Morally wrong, but they should keep better track of their own stuff.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 02:24
Quote: "It's a K70 I got. That's the full size one. K90 I would call an extended keyboard."

Ah ok. I should have known that

Quote: "Getting a keyboard for free, now that would be nice. Morally wrong, but they should keep better track of their own stuff."

True, true and true

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:16 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 07:20
Quote: "I'll admit this is morally borderline"

Yeah there's nothing borderline about it...

Quote: "Morally wrong, but they should keep better track of their own stuff."

It sounds like the seller did keep just fine track of it, but it turns out the buyer was a scammer. The seller had to choose between satisfying honest buyers and getting good ratings or losing 170 bucks to scammers once in a while. Turns out he chooses to be a trusting guy. Victim blaming is unnecessary here. I'm not saying I'm perfect by any means, but it annoys me when people try to gloss over their errors in judgement XD

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:32
Quote: "but it annoys me when people try to gloss over their errors in judgement"
It annoys me when people arrogantly make false accusations based upon illogical assumptions about someone else. Am I missing something?

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:33 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 07:43
Quote: ""but we convinced her that they were a huge seller anyway, and the loss would be extremely minimal""

Of course, that's why it's OK to pirate software from big players such as EA, right?

Basically, is that really a moral thing to do? I don't know any atheists that would do such a thing. But then again as a Christian you can just pray for forgivesness lol
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:39
Quote: "It annoys me when people arrogantly make false accusations based upon illogical assumptions about someone else. Am I missing something?"

What assumptions have I made exactly?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:41 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 07:42
That the buyers were scammers? Referring to Clonkex? Again I might be missing something (I read the posts rather fast). My bad if I made the false assumption that you made assumptions. In that case I assume responsibility for assumpception.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:44 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 07:45
Quote: "but we convinced her that they were a huge seller anyway"

So he knew what he did was wrong. He knew and was also reminded of the correct solution. Instead of choosing to be honest and upstanding, he scammed the seller into thinking the old keyboard was lost. He also corrupted his brother and mother in the process. Classy. Back-pedaling here, I'm not saying anybody needs to be perfect, just admit it at least to yourself and try to be a good person

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:46 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 07:47
Quote: "So he knew what he did was wrong. He knew and was also reminded of the correct solution. Instead of choosing to be honest and upstanding, he scammed the seller into thinking the old keyboard was lost. He also corrupted his brother and mother in the process. Classy."

What do you expect? Some people worship money instead of humanity.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:47
Ooooh I gotcha. So I was missing something. My bad.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 12:31
If the keyboard got lost in delivery the seller should contact the delivery service who would then be responsible. From what Clonkex said the seller did not seem to have full control of their systems. From what I gather the seller did not know they had sent the first keyboard at all. That's really badly organized which in turn leads to bad customer service. The item should have been marked as posted days ago. There was no apparent scamming involved. The seller made a mistake that would require an effort from the buyer to fix.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 20:43
Offtopic
Anyone here have opinion on beats (by dr. dre)?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 03:10 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 03:20
Quote: "It sounds like the seller did keep just fine track of it, but it turns out the buyer was a scammer."

No, the seller didn't keep track.

Quote: "Of course, that's why it's OK to pirate software from big players such as EA, right?"

Certainly not. When I said "morally borderline" I was joking, meaning it was borderline on the wrong side of the border.

Quote: "But then again as a Christian you can just pray for forgivesness lol"

That's just ridiculous. Being able to pray for forgiveness doesn't give me the right to do what I want.

Quote: "he scammed the seller into thinking the old keyboard was lost."

Clearly you didn't read/understand my post. We didn't do any scamming whatsoever. All we did was mention to the seller that the keyboard hadn't been marked as posted (because it hadn't - we just thought the seller had forgotten to post it).

Quote: "He also corrupted his brother and mother in the process."

How dare you. It was my brother that asked the seller if the item had indeed been posted, not me nor Mum. Then when we received an extra keyboard having only paid for one, we had a meeting to decide what to do about it (all of us, together). After much toing and froing we decided we couldn't sell it because then we'd be passing a problem onto someone else, and we decided to keep it because a) it was the seller's own silly fault for not tracking their products correctly and b) we didn't want to risk being forced to pay another $25+ to return the thing. We kept the box in a safe place in case the seller ever contacted us to correct his mistake. There was no corrupting involved.

Some community leader that can't even read the posts...

Quote: "From what I gather the seller did not know they had sent the first keyboard at all. That's really badly organized which in turn leads to bad customer service. The item should have been marked as posted days ago. There was no apparent scamming involved. The seller made a mistake that would require an effort from the buyer to fix."

Exactly. And we genuinely believed it would have cost us money (of which we have precious little as it is) to have them "fix" the issue (return the extra keyboard).

EDIT: I apologise for hijacking your thread, DA. I didn't realise my post would elicit such a flood of responses.

EDIT2: I've removed the original text detailing our escapades as it seems it wasn't clear enough for people to actually comprehend. I have kept the original text, however, so if you feel the need to quote what I originally said in order to debate with me, please PM me.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 03:20
I was joking.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 03:22
Quote: "I was joking."

And I finally understand how some people can be offended by a joke.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 03:27
Sorry, for some reason it just sounded funny at the time. And... it was someone else's idea and I was plastered at the time so they are guilty of taking advantage of me and in fact I am the victim here.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 03:58
Quote: "Sorry, for some reason it just sounded funny at the time. And... it was someone else's idea and I was plastered at the time so they are guilty of taking advantage of me and in fact I am the victim here."

Well... ok, you're forgiven... but in future, try not to post anything to anywhere when you're drunk. Or just don't drink at all

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, it's not your place to tell somebody how they should live their life.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 04:23 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 04:24
Quote: "Well, it's not your place to tell somebody how they should live their life."

Wow, seems like everyone hates me atm... I was only joking.

Actually I feel like this thread has deteriorated far beyond just 'off-topic', so I'm going to lock it. If Digital Awakening wants it unlocked or if you guys want to continue this... err... "discussion"... feel free to PM me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:22:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:22:52