Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / can anyone help with a simple Windows batch file?

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 00:31
I'm trying to write a simple .bat file which will compile a series of input shader .fx files and write the compiled output files as .obj files. The bat file works except for one thing: I can't see how to add the extension .obj to the output file names. For example an input file "myShader.fx" gets compiled and saved as "myShader".

Here's what I have so far (I'm using the DirectX shader compiler fxc.exe):

If I use the compiler for a single file then the following does what I want:

I was hoping to use simple string manipulations on the string %%X in the for/do loop to produce the desired output name but can't seem to get it to work as desired.

It's been over 25 years since I last wrote a .bat file so I'm a bit rusty - and I guess a few things have changed since then .

Any suggestions?