Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / why does sound keep cutting out on laptop

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 14:29
My laptop has recently been affected by an annoying sound problem.

When I play certain games and demos the sound plays perfectly for a minute or so then cuts out and doesn't return till I close the application. At first I thought it was a bug in the particular game I'd been playing but then I noticed it was happening to another unrelated game and I've since confirmed that it happens in a test demo of mine. If I play the sounds or music from windows they play fine but in game they suddenly cut out after a minute or two. This seems to affect all sound formats.

Could it be a heating issue? I've noticed this only happens when the fans are running noisily although I haven't done extensive testing of this theory yet.

Any suggestions on what to do or what could be wrong?

Powered by Free Banners
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 07:25
Have you overclocked the components? [That is if the BOS allows you to]

Try under-clocking the system if possible and see if it occurs [Again if you can do so in the BIOS]

Check background tasks, and services, and taskbar apps the icons next to your clock, make sure the sound chip driver is running...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 08:52
Ok, so here's a few suggestions:

Number one on my list is to check the Communication setting. By default, Windows will lower the volume of all other programs by 80% if it thinks it detects a "communication sound" (eg. Skype, voice chat, etc.), and can be set to mute all other sounds entirely.

To disable this annoying "feature":

- Open up Control Panel.
- Click Sound.
- Go to the Communications tab and click Do Nothing.
- Click OK.

Some googling also brought up these possibilities:

- If you have Intel Trusteer Rapport installed, uninstall it. It has issues.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Flash Player installed.
- Obviously, make sure you have the latest sound drivers installed.
- Is it a Toshiba laptop? Certain Toshiba laptops are known to have faulty sound chips that fail and then stop producing sound after 10-90 seconds of playing sound.

I would say if it's a laptop then heat is a distinct possibility, but I would think it should only occur if some part of the sound chip is failing.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2014 21:33
Reinstall the drivers

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 02:17
Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote: "Quote: "Reinstall the drivers""

Why should that suddenly become an issue after 2 years of use?

Quote: "- Is it a Toshiba laptop? Certain Toshiba laptops are known to have faulty sound chips that fail and then stop producing sound after 10-90 seconds of playing sound.

I would say if it's a laptop then heat is a distinct possibility, but I would think it should only occur if some part of the sound chip is failing."

Something along those lines is my favoured explanation at the moment.

Quote: "Go to the Communications tab and click Do Nothing."

I didn't know about that. I'll try that first just in case something weird is going on. If it works then how can I find out which activity is causing it? None of those should apply as far as I know, i.e. Skype, etc. Simple to test though. Thanks.

Powered by Free Banners
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 02:50 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 02:51
Quote: "Why should that suddenly become an issue after 2 years of use?"

It shouldn't, which means it's unlikely to be the cause, but after years of fixing PCs, I know for sure that you just gotta try everything, one thing at a time. Often something that you thought made no logical sense actually makes perfect sense once you know it was the issue after all.

For instance, you might be thinking, "But I didn't change the sound drivers so that can't be the problem", but days later you reinstall them as a last resort only to find it fixes the problem. Suddenly, you realise that those graphics drivers you installed that had nothing to do with sound actually included a sound driver which broke the normal drivers.

Quote: "None of those should apply as far as I know, i.e. Skype, etc."

No, and usually, there is no logical reason for Windows to be muting volumes; it just does it when it feels like it, even when the only thing playing sound is Windows Media Player

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 03:06
Quote: "Why should that suddenly become an issue after 2 years of use?"

Cosmic radiation.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 17:44
Quote: "Suddenly, you realise that those graphics drivers you installed that had nothing to do with sound actually included a sound driver which broke the normal drivers."

Hmm? I did update the GFX drivers not long ago. I thought the present problem predated that - but it might not have done. Now to find out how to reinstall the sound drivers. Where do I look?

Interesting. I'm now getting messages from something called Interactive Services Detection - except I can't see any messages just a blank screen. The offending program seems to be something to do with the built in touch pad (which I have disabled). Is this relevant or something else?

Powered by Free Banners
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 17:50
GG cannot remember if you are on Win 7 or 8 but check your action centre or performance history / event history for error events

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 17:55 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 17:56
Interesting. There seems to be a recent update to a sound driver. No idea what it does but the date seems to be in the right ball park:

Should I simply hit the roll back driver button?

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 18:00
Quote: "GG cannot remember if you are on Win 7 or 8 but check your action centre or performance history / event history for error events "

W7. This rings a bell but it's one of those things I refer to so rarely that I cannot remember where to look.

I think I'll hit the roll back button and see (hear?) what happens.

Powered by Free Banners
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 18:46 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 18:46
After 2 years you've never installed anything new or done any updates? Things conflict. Things get corrupted. It's windows, things just break! (or in your case, auto-updates)

Sound works in windows, but starts cutting out in games and demos. By any chance are those games using DX?

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 20:58
I THINK NV drivers for me did exact same thing, I have integrated sound on mobo and my gfx card has HDMI slot I don`t use, especially in bf4 I got the same sort of sound issues described. NV drivers install audio drivers as a second device, presumably for HDMI? Anyway, I dont use HDMI, so I uninstalled the NV audio driver and disabled the device in Device manager and now the problem is fixed.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 03:22 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 03:24
Quote: "Should I simply hit the roll back driver button?"

That's one option, and is certainly worth a try. The other would be to look up your laptop on the manufacturer's website and download the official sound drivers.

Either way, just try everything, on thing at a time (unless you're worried you might damage something, in which case a bit of Google never goes astray - in the case of sound drivers, however, there's virtually nothing you can permanently break).

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 03:53
Quote: "there's virtually nothing you can permanently break"

You say that but....... I have seen techs catch CD-roms on fire before.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 08:10
Quote: "I have seen techs catch CD-roms on fire before."

?!! What did they DO?!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 02:44
Quick update on the sound issue on my laptop: I usually rely on the built in speakers. Someone locally suggested I try the headphone port. That seems to work perfectly without problems so at least I can play games in all their auditory splendour. Rather weirdly, if I remove the headphone plug while a game is still running the main sound comes back on as it should but then dies after about 2 minutes of play. I've no idea what is causing this but at least the earphone/headphone solution works - and gives better quality sound.

Quote: "That's one option, and is certainly worth a try. The other would be to look up your laptop on the manufacturer's website and download the official sound drivers."

Rolling back the audio driver had no obvious effect. I'll see what I can find on the manufacturer's website.

James H

Interesting. I'll look into that suggestion when I get the chance.

But at least I have a solution that works - till Phaelax's update demon breaks that as well.