Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I want to write a short story, does the story really need pictures?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 05:29
I don't know where to ask. I want to write a short story, my writing is ok (my teacher said), but my drawing skills are worst. Does the short story really need pictures inside it? I read The prisoner of Zenda, The phantom of the opera and many more. All of them had pictures in them. DOES SHORT STORY REALLY NEED PICTURE IN IT?

I love to make games

http://www.youtube.com/user/thespicy847
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 08:21
Ask your teacher.....

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 08:22
No story needs pictures.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 11:16
A good story will build the picture in your mind.
TodeGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 11:29
@easter bunny

I already did, but he said it is up to me.

@tiresius

Thanks, when I finished it, I'll send you the Ebook.

@Thraxas

Thanks. I'll try man. I'll send you the Ebook when I completed it.

I love to make games

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 12:29
It depends. One thing that very very rarely happens is that an author will draw their own illustrations, because most writers can't draw. JRR Tolkien could draw and often did illustrations, he even made a book consisting of nothing but illustrations of Middle Earth - my point is that his illustrations added to the story and there wasn't anything too technically difficult. I mean, where would anyone reading The Hobbit be without that map!

So it depends on the subject matter of your story - it might not need any sort of illustrations, they might even end up detracting from the story if you don't have good continuity. If your story is about an adventure, then illustrations would be a no brainer for me - I'd do my best to draw a cool map and dimly lit caves and forests and monsters or anything relevant that can look nice. I'd use pencil guidelines then ink over the top and scan to end up with monochrome line drawings, as they translate really well when printed. Stylize, don't try and be a hero and use colour - not unless you have exceptional watercolour skills. And print the thing to some decent paper, your time and hard work is more valuable than normal photocopier paper

Draw anything you need at least twice - rough sketch, then a cleaner sketch that you adjust til your happy, then ink on top of that, taking as much time and patience as you can. Try and stick to a single dithering method, like even if your short story only has 2 or 3 illustrations, use the same style throughout. This is not only about producing a nice looking drawing - it's actually a lot easier to work this way... get's your ideas down quickly, then you refine them, then you make it permanent with ink. Take your time and consider the level of detail and lighting at all times. Ohh, and use a nice font - something you haven't used before but is still a fairly traditional typeface.

Also, try and make the story a good 6 or 8 pages long - a short story isn't about how quickly a story can be told, it's about how effectively it can be told. Plan the story first, break it up into chunks and then 'pepper' the details onto that organically. Don't just start at paragraph 1 and keep going til the end - consider your brain as a resource that tries to output it's best work first - so spread that around the whole story by planning and considering different parts that have a real impact on the plot rather than spending it all on the first page.

Good luck - I think you'll enjoy it, heck doing stuff like that was the only part of English class that I liked, appreciate the fun aspects of your classes and make the most of them I say, they are often the most relevant and useful lessons in the long run. And don't worry too much about the illustrations, your English tutor won't mind if you can't draw - but if you spend time making your story interesting and easy to read, they'll sure as heck notice that. Personally, I think you WANT to write an interesting and exciting story and have nice illustrations to go with it - so go for it and don't dwell on lack of skill, concentrate on how you can make the most use of the skills you have.

This is all overkill, no doubt it's a lot more than your tutor would expect - but hell, it's a short story - along with being an English class assignment it's also a thing in it's own right and maybe deserves some special attention and time. You won't remember all the math problems you solve or the science experiments or exercises or anything else nearly as much as you'll remember the short stories and writing exercises that you'll do.

Just my... lets call it about 27 cents

I am the one who knocks...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 04:11
Quote: "No story needs pictures."

It does if someone wants me to read it!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 06:13
It depends entirely on whether you are able to paint a sufficiently vivid picture in the reader's mind with words alone. I've read some books that were not written particularly well and I found myself wishing it had just one or two pictures to clarify the words.

TodeGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 13:57 Edited at: 15th Oct 2014 15:17
Here, I already started and want you to check for my mistakes. It is Outlast style story. I apologies all my mistakes. You can vote/comment/review so I can edit and make it better. Remember, this is still WIP.

Mod Edit: --WARNING-- Download contains written descriptions of strong violence and language!

I love to make games

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 15:19
Well.... as far as I could see, the only "mistake" as such was a double-space. Pretty neat for someone whose first language is not English. It's a bit weirdly-written, presumably because English isn't your primary language, but other than that it makes sense and reads fairly well. Obviously it's a bit contrived, but for your first story, well done!

-------------------------------------

I've edited your post with a warning while I check the forum rules (the AUP) to determine whether you should be posting this kinda of thing. Other mods, feel free to take more drastic action should you feel it necessary.

TodeGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 15:35
@Clonkex

Oh, I didn't realised that. Sorry. Feel free to edited my post if there is something wrong. What do you mean double-space? Thanks for your review. I'll keep posting my WIP here.

I love to make games

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 03:10
Quote: "What do you mean double-space?"

Very top of page 6, after the word "I" there's two spaces. I think. Maybe it's just the PDF file.

TodeGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 03:39
Quote: "Quote: "What do you mean double-space?"

Very top of page 6, after the word "I" there's two spaces. I think. Maybe it's just the PDF file"

Fixed. Stay tune, for it guys. I'm working on it.

I love to make games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:26:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:26:21