Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Which one is better?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 17:56 Edited at: 20th Oct 2014 19:03
Hello every one or whoever might be looking at the post right now.

I would like to know (if anyone were kind enough) which of the version versions of the various released versions of FPSC was better in an all round average aspect. And yes, I have done my research on the forums as well as some of my own experiments.

Currently I am using the official beta 18 of version 1.20.

First of all I would like to ask some physics and collision related question.

Why is the player in FPSC so fat?

Why does the player's camera wobble when it is on top of a dynamic entity (which might not have proper collision at times or might have a few collision problems, but I used the ones with box collision for the niceyness)?

When I set a dynamic crate to be immobile, it seems to loose have of its collision. In other words, when I set the mentioned settings, if you view it as a half cut box (or a hollow box with a base) you would know what I am talking about. It is also seen in some no-boxy models. Is it because of its collision being set to reduced instead of polygon? Why is it so? Has it ever been rectified?

I used Cosmic Prophet's terrain. Everything seems to work fine. The physics and collision of boxes. The ragdoll system of the stock characters. But. Yes there is a big but (not that one you .....). Oh well, let me continue, the characters seem to be stuck at their spawn points. The only ones that have apparently been able to move ere the TF341 characters without any collision (which is already not present in their scripts - DarkAI).

When talking about collision, when I use the container from Model Pack 3, I am not able to enter them. To enter them, I have to jump across the entrance. But when I come out of 'em, I seem to drop a few inches down (although the surface is plain). The same has been seen for the top surface of the container. This has been seen in many cases. Is this because of reduced collision or faulty polygon collision?

Also, why does the collision in some places make some terrible things happen (like falling through floors, getting pushed through walls, etc.). And yes, it is stated mostly on behalf of the static universe.

And aah, the static object culling. Something like, view frustum object culling with a LOD system and a distance oriented image rendering system should be introduced (if possible) don't you think?

Why are the stock scripts so - not so good?

I know that projectiles (except flakes) are not supported in the engine. Also, the flak system has been so hardly coded that they will explode no matter what. Also the speeds of things in the engine cannot be optimised to have something move at like 1km/sec. Has this ever been tackled? Has (at least) a timer based bullet hit system ever been introduced?

Why does nobody ever seem to bother about the dynamic shadows? Why were they not made available to characters (be it the buggier version)? They seem to be left all alone to their misery.

And that thing about head bobbing. Can't it be imported from Reloaded to Classic or something?

Is there any tutorial on using the sun settings in setup.ini without using a big bulb of light?

What is the result of using the command extracollisionbuild when set to 0. When I use it, the software seems to crash.

It seems that the development of Reloaded has been going on with full speed and Classic seem to have been left behind. I think an update should be made available with all of these features (and some more) for us poor and hopeless (metaphorically) Classic users. Also Classic is gonna turn 10 next year.

Now, back to the point.

Which one of the various versions or official or unofficial betas of 1.20 should be used?

I always seem to get the answer to use 1.20.017 with some unofficial version of the engine or something.

And at last, thank you for reading this thread, and I would be even more thankful if anyone replied instead of ignoring it (not that I am demanding to).

More questions will be coming up soon.

And please ignore my bad English, I am an Indian.

EDIT 1

Why is the crouch height not optimisable? I might be wrong here. But the crouching seems to show the camera at a prone position without any camera movement (up or down).

Snake675
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 19:11
Hi

What about looking for another game engine. Most of your critical questions are issues you will have to live with using FPSC. Why not try Reloaded or Esenthel?

Kindly, Snake67

------------------------------------------------------------
i5 2.8 GHz 64bit / 4G ram / W7 home sp1 / geforce gts 250
FPSC 120 Beta 3
Digital Universe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 09:19
I think once FPS Creator Reloaded gets out of beta *and* gains more support, it will be the original FPS Creator's replacement.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 05:21
Quote: " Why is the player in FPSC so fat?"

a diet high in carbohydrates and trans fats.

Quote: " Is it because of its collision being set to reduced instead of polygon? "

most likely. this can be changed in the objects .fpe file. collisionmode=x is the line if im not mistaken

Quote: "the characters seem to be stuck at their spawn points."

fpsc characters, specifically those with darkAI, do not work with terrain. make sure battles take place on flat surfaces

Quote: "Something like, view frustum object culling with a LOD system and a distance oriented image rendering system should be introduced"

look to reloaded for that. fpsc is an engine from 2003 meant for making games that look like they're straight out of 2003, or 2004 maybe if you know what you're doing. static object culling and intelligent level design is really all the engine optimization you need given fpsc's limited level size capacity.

Quote: "Why are the stock scripts so - not so good?"

I find the right ones used in the right places fantastic, almost perfect sometimes. which are you using?

Quote: "I know that projectiles (except flakes) are not supported in the engine. Also, the flak system has been so hardly coded that they will explode no matter what. Also the speeds of things in the engine cannot be optimised to have something move at like 1km/sec. Has this ever been tackled? Has (at least) a timer based bullet hit system ever been introduced?"

clever animation can create bullet-tracer like effects if that's what youre going for.

Quote: "Why does nobody ever seem to bother about the dynamic shadows? Why were they not made available to characters (be it the buggier version)? They seem to be left all alone to their misery."

i distinctly remember nomad or goblirsch or someone doing at least fake dynamic character shadows.

Quote: "Is there any tutorial on using the sun settings in setup.ini without using a big bulb of light?"

a big bulb of light is my favourite way to do it, or several artfully placed to highlight the scenery in all the right ways.

Quote: "Why is the crouch height not optimisable?"

in most situations involving gunfire, i'd say it's better to crouch too low than not low enough! also, this probably has to do somewhat with making sure the character fits through air ducts and other spaces without the camera clipping anything.

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 19:30 Edited at: 4th Mar 2015 08:31
Bump.

@Bugsy Your take on things is quite funny man! Lol!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 20:10 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2015 20:13
Good questions... all.
If I remember correctly, 1.19 was the last official update. Beyond that it's all community modifications. Could be wrong.

As for all the why?
As someone or another once said...
Quote: "at this point, what difference does it make?"

It is no longer officially supported and this is the state in which is was left.
Unless someone in the community chooses to attempt further fixes and updates, this is the state in which it will stay. To me, the major issue with adding any new features is that the engine is pretty much at max capacity. Adding something tends to slow it to a crawl and fixing something tends to break something else. As it is you really have to be good and careful to make any size level.

As Scotty would say...
Quote: "I'm givin' it all she's got, Captain! If I push it any farther, the whole thing'll blow!"

Brian.

At some point... you run out of Kool-Aid.
All Downloads are now HERE
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 20:39
Quote: "I'm givin' it all she's got, Captain! If I push it any farther, the whole thing'll blow!""

LMAO Now that's funny True, but still funny.
thanks

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 06:06
Thanks for the info guys. Seems to be high time to move on to another and a more flexible and versatile engine. But wait! If I can't make a game in FPSC, what am I gonna make in another engine which will be a lot more difficult than this? Maybe I have to explore FPSC a bit more till then.

But a question, if Classic is not supported, then why does it show that TGC still supports the product?

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 07:11
Quote: "If I remember correctly, 1.19 was the last official update. Beyond that it's all community modifications. Could be wrong."

Here is a breakdown...

V1.17- saw the introduction to DarkAI, RAWTEXT; addressed the issue of building more than five levels as earlier versions would have an issue on the five plus level build.

V1.18- saw the introduction to water, various tweaks, additions, and fixes; GUI-X9 introduced, along with postprocessing and lightrays; variable system introduced.

v1.19- WASP mod integrated into source.

The actual info can be found in text format listing here.

Quote: "I would like to know (if anyone were kind enough) which of the version versions of the various released versions of FPSC was better in an all round average aspect."

To address the question of "which is better", it depends on the person and how deep you go into the program. In my case, I chose to remain in v1.17, rewrote my entire source, fixed issues, added features (including water in my version), integrated LUA, and more. I've been with this version now since it came out and have never looked back. The one fact that needs to be iterated is that any project you work on in one version will have issues if you attempt to use in the next version. This is due to the source coding, which most don't get into. Since I work in the source, I know exactly what the issues are, hence my choosing to remain in one version.

Quote: "But a question, if Classic is not supported, then why does it show that TGC still supports the product?"

Where does it show they still support it? According to what I was told here, it is not supported, which is why questions/issues are left to blow away in the wind.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 08:20 Edited at: 4th Mar 2015 08:29
Thanks man. I was getting quite confused. Out of curiosity I opened the X10 page where it was displayed that it was abandoned and X9 is still supported. Probably they forgot to modify that page I guess. And another question, I read somewhere in the forums that beta 18 of 1.20 had some problems. Can you state those problems, as I have been recommended to use the latest beta of beta 19 of 1.20 and I don't want to move to it just yet.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 20:35
Quote: "And another question, I read somewhere in the forums that beta 18 of 1.20 had some problems. Can you state those problems, as I have been recommended to use the latest beta of beta 19 of 1.20 and I don't want to move to it just yet."

I'm afraid I only use v1.20 BETA10 as a test point for that version, but I work only in v1.17. At best, you would have to sift through the V1.20 Public Beta thread or the FPSC Beta Updates (Unofficial) thread to see what had been reported. According to s4real, this was one of his recommendations...

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:17:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:17:02