Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 10 years on the forums!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 22:50
I just noticed (while browsing Phaelax's bed design concept thread that went horribly south) that I've been on this forum for 10 years as of about two weeks ago!

There's people who have been on here far longer of course, but it's still amazing to think that I got started with programming using Dark Basic Classic all those years ago (although I think DBP may have already been out, I was late to the party). I owe a lot to TGC and this community for allowing me to become a fairly fluent programmer prior to any formal education.

I don't think there is any other website I've been frequenting for this many years besides Google, everything else seems to come and go. What is it about this place?
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 00:00
Congrats!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 09:03
Holy poop, I've been here just over 10 years too, by Jove.

I too owe the community a lot, helped me develop the technical side of my brain and learn to embrace my inner geek. Also has provided good and useful advice over the years. Though I barely post nowadays, like you I still bloody lurk the place.

But for reason it is a unique community that manages to make its members like family, it's weird.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 04:34
Quote: "while browsing Phaelax's bed design concept thread that went horribly south"

lol yeah It started out so well, too

Quote: "I've been on this forum for 10 years as of about two weeks ago!"

Bravo! I'm quite jealous of people that can say they've been here that long

Quote: "I was late to the party"

YOU were late to the party?? No no, I was late to the party. I've only been here since 2010.

Quote: "I don't think there is any other website I've been frequenting for this many years besides Google, everything else seems to come and go. What is it about this place?"

Yeah, I'm much the same. The TGC forums are pretty much my favourite forums of all time

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 04:47
Welcome to the old folks crowd!

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 04:52
Quote: "I don't think there is any other website I've been frequenting for this many years besides Google, everything else seems to come and go. What is it about this place?"
Quote: "Yeah, I'm much the same. The TGC forums are pretty much my favourite forums of all time."
The forums always occupy the first tab on the left for me. Always.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 04:55
Look at all of the grey hair.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 06:38
Quote: "The forums always occupy the first tab on the left for me. Always."

The forums are always promoted to their own Chrome window for me because I usually have so many forum tabs open as well as associated Google tabs that I use to sound intelligent

Quote: "Look at all of the grey hair."

Mmm I agree, I agree.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 12:20
Quote: "Look at all of the grey hair."

Mine was grey when I started here - it's now going white. I blame the forum.

Powered by Free Banners
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 16:11
Congratulations! I still remember the FPSC Forum Wars like they were yesterday.

-Keith
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 17:05
Hehe, some of us remember the old days, the long long ago - before there was Apollo, and all that existed was DBClassic and an out-the-box forum.

I remember the townsfolk attitude Raven tried to enforce when RGT migrated over.

I remember GuyS and his DBPro competition, and waiting a long time on my copy.

I remember being interviewed for like, issue 3 of the newsletter

I remember missing the snow competition deadline by minutes with my first DBC game.

But anyway, this is the only forum I've stuck to over the years and that's all down to the people who frequent it. There is no other place like this on the internet, no other programming language or company has a community like this one behind it.

I am the one who knocks...
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 17:43 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2014 18:00
Ha! Saddo's. You'll never catch me staying here that long.

edit: Three mods posting in a row, do we receive a special prize?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 22:50
Quote: " Three mods posting in a row, do we receive a special prize?"

Probably - but you'll have to wait for Nvidia to cough up.

Powered by Free Banners
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 23:14
Years are booooring. You do nothing, and the counter is ticking. This is not your merit. Totally uninteresting. What if under the name would be written the number of bans or slaps... Or a "ban competition", where you post anything and get ban for it... Or javascript that bans for 24 hours random user once a day... Or tiny chance to slap yourself when you trying to slap a user, like curse... or slap ban slappidy slap ban

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 23:26
Quote: "Or javascript that bans for 24 hours random user once a day... Or tiny chance to slap yourself when you trying to slap a user, like curse..."
I love both of these ideas. These seriously must be done.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 00:45 Edited at: 4th Nov 2014 02:46
edit: image moved to it's own thread!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 01:11 Edited at: 4th Nov 2014 01:12
xD xD xD

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 05:13
Yeah, it's been a while here. I started in 1999 with the old DBC forums. It's the only community I've stuck with over that time, and I still pop in every few weeks to read things and post art. I actually met tha_rami a few days ago at the GCAP post-conference drinks which was nice. Finally meeting another forumite was cool.

GOOD JOB ALL YOU OLDIES!

ZacDuff.com
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 05:43
Quote: "Quote: "Or javascript that bans for 24 hours random user once a day... Or tiny chance to slap yourself when you trying to slap a user, like curse..."
I love both of these ideas. These seriously must be done."

Why don't y'all make a game or something

One more year for me, apparently - take that, old people!

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 11:01
It would be nice if members got a badge for being here every 1,2,5, and 10 years.

--------
DBP Archive
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 18:37
I've met a few of the people on here which is why I can reply:

Quote: "Green Gandalf: Mine was grey when I started here - it's now going white. I blame the forum"

That's not the forums, it's plain, simple nature

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 18:52
Quote: "Probably - but you'll have to wait for Nvidia to cough up."

Ha! Oooooo.... those were the days

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 19:12
Quote: "Finally meeting another forumite was cool. "

I've met a couple of forumites, but I think prolly meeting Baggers in my own kitchen at Uni was the most anecdotal, but he was a friend of our flatmate. That was pretty random. One of the guys in my class at Uni as well is a member, but only ever made like 4 posts.

Also met Higgins when I was at Uni as he turned up to an open day.

Though my friends live up in Derby and I sometimes visit, surprised I've not yet met Baxslash.

Quote: "It's the only community I've stuck with over that time,"

Same, I don't even do game making any more, at least haven't for a while, though may get back into it some time, but cannot seem to escape the community. >.> Must be something they put in the water.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 22:47
Only people I know who live close to me are moondog and digdug, but I've never met any of them.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 07:50
Quote: "I've met a couple of forumites, but I think prolly meeting Baggers in my own kitchen at Uni was the most anecdotal, but he was a friend of our flatmate. That was pretty random. "

Hah, that's amazing. Forum-dwellers could be passing each other every day and never know it.

I saw tha_rami at GDC a few years ago, didn't have a chance to flag him down though.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 09:29 Edited at: 6th Nov 2014 09:30
I wouldn't mind catching up with tha_rami, 'tis nice to know stuff's still going well with Vlambeer, Steam recommended me one of their games the other day and it was nice to see they're still releasing games on there.

I keep in touch with Cian Rice/Animeblood and I know he's bugged tha_rami at some of these events.

It is nice to hear success stories from these forums.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 09:38
Quote: "Though my friends live up in Derby and I sometimes visit, surprised I've not yet met Baxslash. "

Give me a shout next time you're up... I'm far more boring than you can imagine. It will be a disappointment.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 16:56
10+ years for me too. Can you imagine an AppGameKit convention full of all the old-timers (and newbies too!)... It would be the most boring event on the planet! I'd love it!!! Who's going to arrange it?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 23:03
There hasn't been a convention in a long time far as I know. At least not in the US. Make it on the east coast and I could attend.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 00:52
I was just thinking about how many people on here live in either the UK or the US, and it reminded me about Star Citizen at PAX Australia. When they first said they were going to do a livestream from PAX Australia, my brother and I both burst out laughing! I mean, good luck getting a stable connection for streaming in Australia! LOL. Australia only has a population of 23 million; New York State alone has 19 million. You guys in the UK and the US should count yourselves lucky. You've got the population density to have decent roads, decent internet and towns and cities that aren't ridiculous distances from each other.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 04:08
I still would like to see a badge for this. If you have been a member somewhere that long there should be something. Steam for example gives out badges when you have been there for 5 years, but some of you have been on here for 5 or 10 years and have contributed greatly to the community yet still no badge for your many years.

So lets do some math. If you added up how many hours you have spent on here just reading and making posts the number would probably be astounding.

Anyway, this is my way of proposing a 5 and 10 year badge for members.

--------
DBP Archive
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 05:12
Quote: "Anyway, this is my way of proposing a 5 and 10 year badge for members."

It's a good idea (IMO). Not sure, will talk it over with this other mods. I'm sure they'll be happy to point out any negatives if there are any If they like the idea, we'll see what Rick says, since AFAIK no mod has the power to add badges to the system.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 05:29
And relatively soon, we may need a 15 year badge.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 08:21
Quote: "Australia only has a population of 23 million; New York State alone has 19 million."

Sweden, 9 million (or is it 10?) and very stable connections ; )

Whose eyes are those eyes?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 09:44
Quote: "Can you imagine an AppGameKit convention full of all the old-timers (and newbies too!)... It would be the most boring event on the planet! I'd love it!!! Who's going to arrange it?"

I organised the last one in Leeds, UK. It was a good weekend with more alcohol than technical wizardry. Paul did the most uber-tecchie talk on sorting algorithms and Ravey demonstrated roads using Bezier curves and infinite landscapes (as well as telling many embarrassing alcohol induced stories). Lee was in the middle of FPSC-land with lots to talk about (but only after 3PM when the beer had worn off), and Rick was riding a wave of successful app releases. Before that OSX Loving Happy Dude (aka TCA Toad) organised several on the UK South Coast.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 17:54
I'd seriously be up for attending the next one! ...and I'd like to vote up the 5/10/15 year badge idea. I've been a TGC fan since early DB Classic days. It'd be nice to be able to quickly identify similar veterans on the boards. That way we'll be able to tell if someone is being serious or not when they post "show me the codes" requests!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 18:17
Quote: "Hah, that's amazing. Forum-dwellers could be passing each other every day and never know it."

Hmm? Sounds like an opportunity for a new chat up line to me: "Hey, didn't I see you on the TGC forums the other day?"